Umpires clean off the gear go work some scrims for free

imontheline

College intrasquad scrimmages start this week. They will go for about two weeks. Our local high school association has the privilege of getting to use this time for preseason work. Ive gone out every year for free to get better. I would guess half of our group comes out at least once during those two weeks. Probably half of those come out for 2 or more days. I encourage every umpire to get out and do some free games, college, middle school or high school. Even if you don't get to work an inning, you get to observe and learn. Do what you can to get better, and "don't suck!"

Why should the umpires work for free?  Are the coaches coaching for free?  Does the educator teach for free?  I fully  understand the philosophy of "giving back" to the sport but you are talking about colleges.  Both colleges & universities have the financial backing to pay the umpires to work scrimmage games. 

Working scrimmages for free before the actual season kicks off is one of the ways you get better. I'm not talking about a way of giving back to the sport. If you aren't willing to work free scrimmages to learn and get better then you probably don't have the desire to move up. That's fine. Those who want to improve their schedules, improve the level of games or move up to a higher level work for free. If the first paid game of the year happens to be the first time you've stepped on the field since the fall, I don't think you are prepared for that first paid game. In that, I think you take away from the sport.

This applies to all levels, not just the college level.

Edited by imontheline

Teachers go to professional development in the summer that they have to pay for themselves. Coaches go to clinics on their own dime to learn new and better things. By doing this they both get techniques and skills to help them when it comes time to perform in the classroom or on the field.

Would it be too much to ask for umpires to work a few free games to improve their skills so when they step on the field they actually know the rules and how to apply them correctly when they do get paid to know the rules and apply them correctly?

Teachers go to professional development in the summer that they have to pay for themselves. Coaches go to clinics on their own dime to learn new and better things. By doing this they both get techniques and skills to help them when it comes time to perform in the classroom or on the field.

Would it be too much to ask for umpires to work a few free games to improve their skills so when they step on the field they actually know the rules and how to apply them correctly when they do get paid to know the rules and apply them correctly?

I've umpired and officiated for 15 years.  I understand "working for free", but at this day in age, colleges and high schools can cough up the funds to pay at least gas money.  Too many times, umpires work for free.  However, it is the only way to really get any "in game" working.  You can only watch so many videos and talk about plays, etc.  

I disagree with working for free.  Not because I'm about the money....but how many people want to show up and work for free? Umpiring and officiating is work.  Yes, most umpires enjoy what they do, however if umpires are willing to take their time to work for free....there should be a no "complaining" sign.  Umpires that work for free still get ____ at for their strike zone, bang bang calls, etc.  Why would anyone want to sign up for that for free? 

Some people do not care if they "move up" and these folks are very good umpires.....like anything else, officiating and umpiring has become a business.    It's about who you know, not what you know.  If you want to work for free, that is fine, I've done the same before.  However, there are paying gigs out there where you can improve your skill.  Adult leagues, little league, travel ball double headers, travel ball tournaments you can work all of those during the summer and improve your skills.  

Edited by QuickStrike

Why should the umpires work for free?  Are the coaches coaching for free?  Does the educator teach for free?  I fully  understand the philosophy of "giving back" to the sport but you are talking about colleges.  Both colleges & universities have the financial backing to pay the umpires to work scrimmage games. 

I am a teacher and can answer this question.  Teachers go to professional development session to get better and they are not paid to do so.  At times they even come out of their own pockets for this training.  Likewise, coaches go to coaching clinics and have to pay to attend them at times.  I am all for people getting paid.  But I doesn't hurt to train to get better. 

Sorry.... guess I should have read your post before I posted mine. 

I am a teacher and can answer this question.  Teachers go to professional development session to get better and they are not paid to do so.  At times they even come out of their own pockets for this training.  Likewise, coaches go to coaching clinics and have to pay to attend them at times.  I am all for people getting paid.  But I doesn't hurt to train to get better. 

Maybe it's the area that I am from but I have never heard of a coach paying for a coaching clinic.  The school or booster club would pay for both the travel and clinic.  We are really talking about umpiring COLLEGE games for free.  All college coaches should be embarrassed to even ask someone to umpire for free.  College athletics are a business and in the business world you normally get what you pay for. 

High school wise I've seen some of the local umpires work a couple of scrimmage games to knock the rust off.  I think they ask for those rather than the high school asking for free umpiring.  No gate, no revenue to generate funds for umpires during scrimmages.  Especially with guys working together for the first time, it gives them an opportunity to work on rotations and ease into the season.  Not sure about college ball.

As well, not all rural public schools are jumping through hoops to send their coaches to clinics.  The booster club typically will pick up the tab for attendance, not travel and hotel stay from my experience.  Your mileage may vary depending on school size and booster club participation.

Coaches supplement is regardless of whether they play a scrimmage game or not.  I suppose they could boycott coaching scrimmages since their pay per game would go down accordingly and they would risk falling below the Mendoza line that is minimum wage. 

The bottom line is if coaches or umpires are in this for the money, they chose a poor vocation for generating income.

Edited by ksgovols