Mckenzie Arena or Cow palace?

fooseball96

Take money out of the sport? What money and where in the sport was it invested? Last time I checked each team had to pay for their own officials, weight management fee ($10 per kid goes to TSSAA), coaches registration fee ($50 per coach), background check fee (costs), penalty fees (misconduct, illegal practice, etc). With the exception of the state tournament the TSSAA doesn't pay for anything. Not even the refs and awards at the region tournaments. The host schools pick that up. So to sum up, the TSSAA pays for the refs, awards and crackers for the coaches at the state tournament. Nothing else (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'd like to see that balance sheet.

So you haven't seen that balance sheet then????

I just assumed that w/all the definitive statements on profitability and investment that these were folks speaking from first hand knowledge and not a bunch of blowhards.

But I'm sure you're all event planners at least right?

I did when it was at UTC but have not since it has been up there but considering how much you think you know how much is it Dunston? Considering they still "made" a good amount after paying for UTC and someone said that attendance was better there than it was a UTC than I would have to think that they "make" even more than they did when it was at UTC since they do not pay a venue fee! Does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out since they have not went down on their ticket costs last I went. So bring something to the table Dunston or TD2 tell us what the great things TSSAA does with all that money people who enter the gate get for that money, especially in terms of wrestling? And what is the best part venue wise is the Ag Center for all those young wrestlers that will be graced by its presence this weekend?

No idea sport, but then I'm not the one making definitive statements either am I?  But since "someone said" attendance is down, I guess that's all the proof you need.

I'd love to try and respond to this for you:

And what is the best part venue wise is the Ag Center for all those young wrestlers that will be graced by its presence this weekend?

But I guess my Mid-TN reading comprehension must be kicking in again.  Are you able to translate from East TN to English for me?

Edited by Gunston

I instantly regret taking the bait and lowering myself.

Bottom line, I don't know what TSSAA makes or does w/the funds, but I get the distinct impression that neither do those doing the whining. Whining is also the word I use since it's fairly obvious their primary motivation is not what's best for all wrestlers across the state, but themselves.

You're absolutely right.

Moving the championships to a more suitable arena would only benefit me, not the wrestlers or other parents/fan/etc.

Providing respectable awards to the state medalists would only benefit me, not the wrestlers.

I apologize for being so selfish.

I officially retract all of my statements. We should not take away from the TSSAA to give to the student athletes, that's not what high school sports is all about.

Again your reading comprehension is kicking in no matter if that is what you lowered yourself to or not? I said attendance supposedly was UP not down! And I am trying to do what's best for the sport and the wrestlers as I was one, I wrestled in state individual, so not sure if you did or not but seems you did not. I was at best an average wrestler, went in with barely a .500 record but I still remember those days wrestling in front of a large crowd in a great wrestling environment and I fed off it. I won 3 matches and lost 2 and was 1 round away from placing. I wrestled above my head as I beat some " ranked wrestlers" and actually the other 2 I got beat by who finished 3rd and 4th i had pinned but did not get the call (ex UTC coach was sitting Mat-side and was watching and calling the pin, to bad the refs did not lol). I understand what a great venue can do for the wrestlers and the memories it can carry. I love wrestling, it was and is my passion, but the venue now sucks and again I might not know the numbers now but I knew them from UTC and supposedly they are higher now and even if not they could afford a better venue either way and I love it is in the mid state! It is for the betterment of the wrestlers not me to go and watch them but for each to not have to travel as far and lowering their costs of travel and travel time. Seems people want to fight about this and that without the thoughts of the wrestlers but those small little medals are a joke and needs to be the first thing replaced with some nicer! Besides that if they have some money left over let's try and find another place to hold the event, that is TSSAA's job not mine or anyone else's. now if they take bids for it like they do most of their stuff than its on those who want to bid on the State Championships to get the best bid out there but also for the TSSAA to do the best for the wrestlers and put it somewhere that showcases this event and not give it to somewhere that is free or the lowest cost! That is what is best for the wrestlers not the pocket book of the TSSAA!

TSSAA is supposed to put venues for big events up for bids, that way there is no back room dealings where they get kickbacks(although as bad as they are prob happens anyways). Wrestling has never been done with bid as long as I have been alive. Of course they always take the lowest bid instead of the best bid so prob a mute point either way. I have told them what I thought of the venue, the problem is they don't care, I understand your point on the other thread and the letter is good but unless you can get another venue for free they will not listen, they are tied to the almighty dollar kind of like the NCAA is. I wished we had an organization that cared more about their sports than the dollar, like Georgia does where some of their top Championships are held as showcases for their competitors but ours does not seem to care about that! Good luck talking to the other places about what their fees are but the TSSAA sees money signs and nothing else or it would never have been moved to the Ag Center plain and simple! It will be there for the next 100 years unless they start getting charged for it or the TSSAA goes down and something else takes over.

Has the Murphy Center been considered? It is home of the TSSAA boys and girls basketball state championships. Possible reduced rates for multiple events?

Have college coaches at UTC or MTSU had any luck negotiating the cost of renting out facilities with their respective schools? It would be a great fundraiser for the college wrestling programs if the school was willing to waive the rental fees and allow the wrestling program to host the event and split the revenue with the TSSAA. The college could still collect revenue from concessions and parking. The college wrestling program could split the gate with the TSSAA. The TSSAA could also make money from additional vendors such as merchandising and programs as well as the live broadcasting of the events.

Distribute the cost and the revenue and in turn help support high school and college wrestling in our state.

Took me a little while to find it but this is my post from after state in 2010 which covers many of the same issues we are all discussing here with some possible solutions.  Only 1 of these issues has been resolved; double elimination was added.  Not really any of the other issues have improved or changed, perhaps the "elaborate entry" they have planned for this year will improve things, but without platforms for the mats and much improved lighting, we are still years away from what these wrestlers deserve for all their hard work and dedication to the greatest sport.

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:59 AM

I must first say that everyone involved in holding this tournament did an incredible job being their first year for such an event. And as always there are going to be some things that can improve the experience for all, wrestlers as well as fans.

I agree with KingGreene that the lighting was horrible, I and many others I spoke to had a headache from our eyes being strained all weekend. I described it as perpetual dusk in there. This is a simple fix for the venue that would improve all the events they hold there.

The layout of the mats could be vastly improved. Platforms could be implented to raise the mats off the dirt floor. These do not have to be very high, just a good flat surface.
More importantly the mats could be moved and layed out closer to the seats, the scorers tables and clocks could be moved to the center creating a center aisleway for on deck wrestlers and no blocked views of the mats or clocks. As fans we could then be closer to the action, thus making it easier for the refs to hear us.

As far as room, there was plenty of room and empty mats to hold double elimination. Friday afternoon, it was a ghost town over on the DI side. 4 empty mats just begging to have an extra round of consolations wrestled on them. Easily enough time for double elimination.

While I would have liked for the finals mats to be closer together to watch both divisions, I am sure they split them to create the maximum amount of seating for each mat. Surrounded on three sides instead of only two. They could improve on this in a couple of ways, wrestle all matches on one mat, alternating DI then DII at each weight class. They could just start an hour earlier. Or TSSAA could do away with the divisions and we could have just one mat and one true state champion. This is an individual sport and classifications/divisions have no business in this sport.

Lastly, the TSSAA has missed the boat on this entirely. This is such a marketing hot spot for many companies. You could have people talk to many wrestling companies such as Dollamur mats and we could have wall to wall mats, with room for warming up. Scoreboard companies that would die at a chance to have their scoreboards in a marquee event. Just a couple of many opportunities that were missed and can be improved upon.

Has the Murphy Center been considered? It is home of the TSSAA boys and girls basketball state championships. Possible reduced rates for multiple events?

Have college coaches at UTC or MTSU had any luck negotiating the cost of renting out facilities with their respective schools? It would be a great fundraiser for the college wrestling programs if the school was willing to waive the rental fees and allow the wrestling program to host the event and split the revenue with the TSSAA. The college could still collect revenue from concessions and parking. The college wrestling program could split the gate with the TSSAA. The TSSAA could also make money from additional vendors such as merchandising and programs as well as the live broadcasting of the events.

Distribute the cost and the revenue and in turn help support high school and college wrestling in our state.

I'm not to sure UTC is still even interested. Mostly I would say its a scheduling issue simply because of basketball. Might run into the same at MTSU. But surely Nashville has a venue. UTC is doing a great job with the Southern Scuffle and it seems to be growing in attendance. Personally I'm from the east but I prefer Nashville over Chattanooga traffic at times is way worse but once your inside the area your going to it's not bad and has a lot to offer over the weekend.

Murphy Ctr would be great, good location seems to rent at 3500 day not counting if any support equipment is needed and it seats 10,000 and has plenty of room and the best place for a wrestling tournament is on a basketball court since I hate basketball :). Of course also Memorial at Vandy as I think Bridgestone would be way out of the price range unless they would work a deal. I would love for it to be at the Murphy Ctr as I think the location is good the atmosphere would be good and plenty of space for everyone.