My Letter to the TSSAA

WrestlingGod

Dear Sir or Mam,

I write to you as an athlete, a coach, a referee, and most importantly a lifelong fan who has dedicated his entire life to the growth of the sport in this state.

The sport of wrestling is one of the fastest growing sports in the country. In an article written by Adrian Troyer, a prominent writer for The Open Mat, a leading national wrestling website, he listed the top 25 wrestling states in the country based on depth of wrestling teams per every million residents of the state. The top are very predictable, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois and New Jersey. But at number 25 Tennessee has really come up from the slums, but there is a long way to go.

In this email I will outline the way to build the sport in this state to become a national powerhouse. With national notoriety comes profit as well. I will talk about three areas on how the TSSAA can profit more from wrestling, in television and advertising, atmosphere, and venue.

There are multiple ways to advertise. There are different publications of magazines that follow prep football across the state of Tennessee. We need to help get our name and the kids names out there. It would be a publication by the tssaa and the organization would profit from it.

Instead of live streaming the championship matches I believe the TSSAA should look into broadcasting the championship finals on the local television channel 3. This way profit can be gained from commercial advertising as opposed to the public fans having to pay. Many of the fans across the state, when unable to make the tournament, opt out of paying because it's too expensive on the computer and sometimes the feed cuts in and out or doesn't work all together. Airing it on local television would cut out that issue and possibly make more money for the association. Many states, such as New Jersey for example, do this exact thing.

Secondly, the atmosphere. Currently, after all the rounds have completed all that's done is move the mats. I believe if the atmosphere is changed and certain elements are added to the championship matches it would add a different level to the sport, ultimately taking the sport and athleticism to a new level in the state. Elements such as, spotlighted finals matches (something currently not possible at the current venue but would be elsewhere), an elevated platform for the mats to sit on during the championship finals, entrance music and an announcer to introduce each child as they walk towards the mat. Sandy Stevens is probably the biggest name in wrestling announcing right now and is widely considered the "voice" of wrestling. In order to have a person like that it would cost unnecessary money. There are many, many people across the state who would be very talented at this and would do it for free. Many different states do some of these things. States like California and Ohio and Pennsylvania Spotlight the finals. The NCAA adds a platform and entrances and have announcers. But very few states do all of these things.

Finally, the venue. I understand that by holding the state wrestling championships at the Williamson County Agricultural Center the TSSAA does not pay for the venue. My father once told me, "To make money, first you must spend money". This is one of the reasons the venue must be changed. Moving the event to a venue like the Municipal Auditorium or Bridgestone Arena would cost money yes. But the benefit to moving it greatly out ways the cost of the new venue. The TSSAA would still be able to charge for parking, entree fees, etc. exactly like they already are. Now you can recharge for the finals. A venue and an atmosphere of this magnitude people would gladly repay to see an event like that. All if the top states in the country hold their state tournaments at the largest arenas in the biggest cities.

Many sports get the venue they deserve but wrestling is overlooked because it's not seen as a very profitable sport, when in actuality the sudden and dramatic rise in popularity in the sport could make it the most profitable sport in the state. If each of the ideas I have outlined for you in this letter are implicated the profit the TSSAA would make from the sport of wrestling would be greater than the football and baseball championships combined. Television and advertising, atmosphere, and venue, while they may seem like big steps are only the first needed to make Tennessee a national powerhouse in this sport. Next would be combining all of the divisions into one, but that is a different letter. Thank you so much for your time and I so look forward to hearing a response to these ideas. With your help we can help bring more money to the TSSAA by giving the kids what they deserve. A state championships to be excited for.

Yours in athletics,

Thadd Little

Your right. Spend money to make money they could borrow enough to build a sports complex to host every sport in the state including bowling one huge site. They could probably ly get the land donated and private funding to build it. You think Nike or some other company wouldn't like to have there name on a highschool sports complex or at least one building. Tennessee s Nike track complex. Or Verizon stadium. Have a vision see the end of the rainbow. Build for the future.

Thadd, this is a well-written letter with several good points.  However, the people you are directing it to rarely, if ever, come on to coacht and read anything.  If you want it seen and your points considered, you should email it to Mark Reeves at mreeves@tssaa.org, or call TSSAA's offices and ask to speak to him about this.

I've read many things over the past few weeks on here and I'm wondering why more people don't just pick up a phone and call Mr. Reeves, or email him and voice their ideas and concerns.  Or, better yet, actually come up with a plan and the means in which to carry it out and do the work involved to make it happen.  That's what we as Williamson County coaches did when we first approached TSSAA about possibly bringing the State Duals to the Ag Center.  We showed them our idea and plan and that we were willing to put in the work to pull it off.  They liked what they saw and asked if we would be willing to handle the Traditional tournament also.  What an honor to be asked to host the state championships of the sport you love.  We agreed and then we put in the work to make it happen.  You should know.  You've been working on that floor before and your help has been very appreciated.

If you want changes made to the state tournaments, then do what we did.  Get on the phone and call Bridgestone Arena or Municipal or the Music City Center.  Find out what it would take, how much it would cost.  Call the Nashville Sports Council, and Nashville City and Davidson County commissioners.  Get some community support to help iron out any kinks.  Put in the work to make the changes that you want to see happen.  I've learned that when it comes to the TSSAA, the best way to get things done is to do as much of the working and thinking for them on the front end.  That's how we got double elimination finally passed.  We showed them how it could work. 

Putting on the Duals and the Traditional tournaments takes more than just words on a message board.  It takes a lot of good people, like yourself, doing a lot of hard work.  The venue is just one small part of the big picture.

I'm looking forward to a great weekend of awesome wrestling and I wish everyone involved the best of luck!

Coach Blair

• Upvote 1

Is this a letter that was sent to the TSSAA or just meant to be discovered here?

While I agree with Coach Blair about there being good points, I do find it lacking in much of what is needed, specifically the math.

The hyperbolic comments about it generating more revenue than the the foozeball and baseball championships combined essentially means nothing without projected verified numbers to back it.

If this is something that you plan to send to them, I would encourage you to collaborate with several other interested coaches from the state to help gel the proposal. I'm sure there are several coaches who have specific details on the related costs of what you proposed and how they can be implemented.

I very much enjoy your enthusiasm for the sport, I just worry that the letter reads as a passionate fan who severely lacks understanding of the intricacies behind the TSSAA and their thought process.

Also, as general pet peeve of mine, the sentence structure, layout and grammar are a bit of a distraction from the message and I would recommend a few changes (even so far as to offer my very limited services if you'd like).

I hope you don't take offense to this as it was meant to be a helpful criticism.

Maybe is "spot-on". It certainly would not help our cause sending a letter like this.  If you haven't sent it yet, please have someone proof read it for you.  You also need to qualify your assumptions that you are stating as fact, otherwise it is just rhetoric and will be filed in a round metal container (trash can).  I think everyone also over-estimates the amount of money that the TSSAA makes on the state tournament.  They are a non-profit organization and they do have an income statement and balance sheet for each event.  This is public record.  You may want to take a look at that before you start making assumptions.

Great idea and I'm all for it,  but it needs to be presented in a realistic and obtainable way.

I remember Blair even running to & fro as this new Ag Ctr venue was unveiled to make this move successful, and quite frankly it has been considering the #'s. He have his heart & soul to make ot happen with others, as he mentioned.

He has now given sound counsel to anyone wanting to make further venue/atmospheric changes, to someone willing to put forth the time & energy to create solutions with options well thought out & with various decision makers already on board to support these options should the TSSAA find interest.

FINE letter Mr. Little and I'm certain you did my copy/paste thing already to that email address Coach Blair shared. Maybe we all should with added ideas and these desired changes could happen sooner than the 35 years it took to change the carry tournament after several returning medalists had to go home after that unfortunate first round loss. Something tells me BCB chimed in on that one effectively :). But how many did this affect before,,, so another nice change coach Blair & others!

Tn Wrestling has a future with folks like Blair and Reeves openly sharing ideas and solutions. Come together as coaches and administers and I believe the TSSAA will allow all divisions to compete once again at least for individuals. I say this, because he told me this, but getting everyone to agree it's the real problem. I even proposed breaking the point totals by division and allowing All the wrestlers to compete and he says he can see that as an option if we All pulled together, especially principles and AD's. Starts with Parents, Coaches, Boosters, Fans and Admin.

I like the duals where they are and as they are BTW, but a wildcard should be considered.

Individuals is My personal favorite and I miss the UTC experience, but Nashville/Murfreesboro could offer something similar.

Hey Soms, pull out the scissors and glue. Go back and find those posts that stated that the state tournament being held in Chattanooga gave those teams and unfair advantage. I remember a lot of people complaining about our kids getting to sleep in their own beds and how that helped Chattanooga area teams dominate. So when those kids clubs up in Nashville start producing more talent and taking home more gold and trophy's then our area......I think you guys have provided us with an excuse. Location of beds.....funny huh. Put the think tank on that one Soms. How many champions have called Chattanooga and Cleveland home since the taking of the beds.

Yes my intention is sending this Mr Reeves, but this are OUR ideas I just put down in a letter . I posted on here to have all of you put ideas and add or subtract things. Yes the numbers are definately something I'll have to do if I want to be taken seriously and not a fan correct. You guys talk sentence structure etc. I'm just a 25 y/o college dropout haha. My email is TLhastingsmanagement@gmail.com make your revisions all and email it to me. I'll try to figure out prices to the venues and WE can do this TOGETHER.

Thadd, this is a well-written letter with several good points.  However, the people you are directing it to rarely, if ever, come on to coacht and read anything.  If you want it seen and your points considered, you should email it to Mark Reeves at mreeves@tssaa.org, or call TSSAA's offices and ask to speak to him about this.

I've read many things over the past few weeks on here and I'm wondering why more people don't just pick up a phone and call Mr. Reeves, or email him and voice their ideas and concerns.  Or, better yet, actually come up with a plan and the means in which to carry it out and do the work involved to make it happen.  That's what we as Williamson County coaches did when we first approached TSSAA about possibly bringing the State Duals to the Ag Center.  We showed them our idea and plan and that we were willing to put in the work to pull it off.  They liked what they saw and asked if we would be willing to handle the Traditional tournament also.  What an honor to be asked to host the state championships of the sport you love.  We agreed and then we put in the work to make it happen.  You should know.  You've been working on that floor before and your help has been very appreciated.

If you want changes made to the state tournaments, then do what we did.  Get on the phone and call Bridgestone Arena or Municipal or the Music City Center.  Find out what it would take, how much it would cost.  Call the Nashville Sports Council, and Nashville City and Davidson County commissioners.  Get some community support to help iron out any kinks.  Put in the work to make the changes that you want to see happen.  I've learned that when it comes to the TSSAA, the best way to get things done is to do as much of the working and thinking for them on the front end.  That's how we got double elimination finally passed.  We showed them how it could work. 

Putting on the Duals and the Traditional tournaments takes more than just words on a message board.  It takes a lot of good people, like yourself, doing a lot of hard work.  The venue is just one small part of the big picture.

I'm looking forward to a great weekend of awesome wrestling and I wish everyone involved the best of luck!

Coach Blair

Coach Blair,

Why should a private citizen be doing all of the "LEG WORK" for the TSSAA? Being that the employees of the TSSAA are receiving a salary they are the ones that should be spending their time checking on cost & speaking with the Nashville Sports Council to try and make the state tournament the premier state wrestling tournament in the USA. Let's be honest with each other and tell the truth. No offense to you but for various reasons the TSSAA State Wrestling tournament is not as good as it was 25 or 30 years ago and from the outside looking in the TSSAA only cares about the almighty dollar.

• Upvote 1