Finals show

tnlonghorn

Actually you are wrong at Big MAC. Locker rooms that had shower were locked because they led to the swimming pool. I have no clue at the round House because they never made it public that they had showers available. In theory, you make it sound good but not true. I even asked several coaches ( not all- just curious and did a small sample of 10-15 coaches) this weekend from across the state and all said that their kids did not shower at the arenas. they waited to go back to the hotel. 

You're missing the point.

First off after I wrestled at a tournament, I took a shower. Did everyone? Of course not. But I'm old, there were no 'skin issues' then. Today there are. One point (among many) is that it would be nice for a state medalist to take a shower after they wrestle in the state championship. If Ravenwood wrestles Clarksville at a dual after the match, they can shower. If someone competes in Slamfest, after the match they can shower. At every tournament, including the Region tournaments, after they wrestle, they can shower. In fact the only event that I know of where someone can't shower after their match is the State Duals Championship and individual State Championship. Very ironic the debate with the 152 pounder not being able to compete because of skin issues and yet the championship facility has no showers. At the coaches meeting skin issues were discussed for 20 minutes and yet in the facility where we are competing the kids can't take a shower. According to research it would cost $10,000 a day to bring in portable showers for the event. Finley stadium in Chattanooga was told they couldn't host the TSSAA football championships because they have no showers. 

I understand that not having showers may not seem like a big deal to some. But IMO it is the one ticket to get out of this disgusting, dirty venue. Most sources I talk to say "it will be here forever because the TSSAA makes too much money. The venue is free and they get every dime from the parking (of course I'm sure 20% at least is pocketed by the 'volunteers' taking the money). 

There is something very wrong here.  NOT ONE COACH that I know about likes the venue. LET US GET IT MOVED!

Putting money ahead of a respectable State Tournament is unethical, indefensible and just plain WRONG. For it to continue to be here tells me one thing. There are 2 or 3 key people that are making money in more ways then can be seen. A lot of money and probably not above board. This subject will not go away until it's moved.

Newestguy,  with all due respect,  when you say " Putting money ahead of a respectable State Tournament is unethical, indefensible and just plain WRONG" You are stating that as fact.  Unethical is a strong word.  How much money does the TSSAA make off of the state tournament?  If you can't give an exact number,  don't post it.  It is available and makes you look uniformed and just trying to create propaganda. The TSSAA makes very little profit off of the tournament.  How do I know.... I asked for the balance sheet and income statement before I started throwing out my opinion.

Secondly,  You state that you wrestled in the state tournament and made your assumptions based on that.  I do not say this to be mean....but it is obvious you never won a state title.  True champions can not tell you the color of the mat, who was referee, what the temperature was, or even if it was on dirt... they focus on winning.  When someone ask them what did your coach tell you... they have no idea.... they have extreme focus on one thing!!!!!

They don't wrestle because it's on a stage.  They don't wrestle because they announce his name,  they don't wrestle because the have a spot light.  They wrestle because, "to beat the best you have to beat the best"

In 1980 and 1981 the tournament was held at Glencliff HS in a rough area of Nashville.  In 1979 it was held at Mclellan gym.  Only on guy won the state period,.  No split divisions.  One championships.  One Champion!!!!!!    Those champs could have cared less about where they wrestled or the hotel they stayed in.  That was not the Goal.  Ask Johnny Lennon, Chuck Bean, David Thoni, Tom Marable, and any of the Mullins boy's...they could tell you the spot light is NOt what made them champs.

Did you ever win?

Newestguy,  with all due respect,  when you say " Putting money ahead of a respectable State Tournament is unethical, indefensible and just plain WRONG" You are stating that as fact.  Unethical is a strong word.  How much money does the TSSAA make off of the state tournament?  If you can't give an exact number,  don't post it.  It is available and makes you look uniformed and just trying to create propaganda. The TSSAA makes very little profit off of the tournament.  How do I know.... I asked for the balance sheet and income statement before I started throwing out my opinion.

Secondly,  You state that you wrestled in the state tournament and made your assumptions based on that.  I do not say this to be mean....but it is obvious you never won a state title.  True champions can not tell you the color of the mat, who was referee, what the temperature was, or even if it was on dirt... they focus on winning.  When someone ask them what did your coach tell you... they have no idea.... they have extreme focus on one thing!!!!!

They don't wrestle because it's on a stage.  They don't wrestle because they announce his name,  they don't wrestle because the have a spot light.  They wrestle because, "to beat the best you have to beat the best"

In 1980 and 1981 the tournament was held at Glencliff HS in a rough area of Nashville.  In 1979 it was held at Mclellan gym.  Only on guy won the state period,.  No split divisions.  One championships.  One Champion!!!!!!    Those champs could have cared less about where they wrestled or the hotel they stayed in.  That was not the Goal.  Ask Johnny Lennon, Chuck Bean, David Thoni, Tom Marable, and any of the Mullins boy's...they could tell you the spot light is NOt what made them champs.

Did you ever win?

Is there a reason you put this in your post "Newestguy,  with all due respect"? It seems strangely out of place for the tone of your ramble. Are you suggesting that we just leave the tournament in the cow palace because champions don't care about where they wrestle? Who cares what I think? I'm just a peon. Why don't you ask Johnny Lennon, Chuck Bean, David Thoni, Tom Marable, and any of the Mullins boy's if they think it should stay in the cow palace.

Edited by Newestguy

[quote name="TD2" post="3132306" timestamp="1392605857"

Did you ever win?1979 the big 8" snow & 1982 the night the lights went out at Glencliff.

TD2 guy, can you artist in funding a recording of the 1982 state championship finals match @ 165??

Shoot me an email... adsomm@bellsouth.net

If tssaa makes a thousand off the tournament to me that is too much. If the numbers need to increase then put the best venue and show on. Word gets around that it was awesome then in 2 years people will be there to see it. Like I said before I wasn't disappointed but I wasn't real impressed either. The only thing I was disappointed about were the size of the medals. The region and state high school medals are the smallest medals my 7 year wrestler has ever received. 100 plus football,baseball,and wrestling medals 50 plus are wrestling.  They could also get more vendors. More to do in between matches for the families that are sitting for three days. There are a lot of things that could be put out for a little more enjoyment to the families. I have seen it done at a couple of events.

Actually you are wrong at Big MAC. Locker rooms that had shower were locked because they led to the swimming pool. I have no clue at the round House because they never made it public that they had showers available. In theory, you make it sound good but not true. I even asked several coaches ( not all- just curious and did a small sample of 10-15 coaches) this weekend from across the state and all said that their kids did not shower at the arenas. they waited to go back to the hotel.

Not sure when you were at Big Mac and wrestled there but I took a shower when I wrestled there for the state tournament. There is a door that leads out to the pool from the showers that they locked so you don't get out to the pool itself but you can and could get to the showers from the locker room from there but than be locked out from going out to the pool. Now for McKenzie not completely sure how they did it because they have plenty of showers there but I volunteered to run hospitality and such for a few years there but never wrestled there.

Also TD2 if TSSAA does not make much off wrestling tourney please post the balance and than all the expenses they pay for like rooms for TSSAA officials not refs and their rental cars when they live in Nashville? I saw what it was when they had it in Chattanooga so if they don't pull more now than then their accounting is wrong since they pay nothing for the facility and get all parking revenue also! And than this year adding a ton more people makes it even more profitable for them. You keep talking about it but I know they make good money doing it but you seem to think you have all the info.

Did you ever win?

The P&L made public is based on PROJECTIONS and are not the true numbers. If the TSSAA projects they should make $100,000.00 on the TSSAA state wrestling tournament and they only make $90,000.00 they show that as a $10,000.00 loss. Unfortunately the TSSAA uses SMOKE & MIRRORS when it comes to providing a true P&L. Other than the Board of Control I am not sure anyone ever sees the true numbers.

I have been in the BIG MAC more times than you would know. My uncle ran the gym during the late 80's and mid 90's until his passing. All showeres were locked up because of different access through the gym. Dont know when you showered there but in the late 80's  to mid 90's - it was not in the BIG MAC .

I just wondered how many teams shower during the season at tournaments?

COach Blair- how many teams shower at your tournament?

McCallie?

Soddy?

Coach mann?

BlackHorse?

Ryan?

I have been in the BIG MAC more times than you would know. My uncle ran the gym during the late 80's and mid 90's until his passing. All showeres were locked up because of different access through the gym. Dont know when you showered there but in the late 80's  to mid 90's - it was not in the BIG MAC .

I just wondered how many teams shower during the season at tournaments?

COach Blair- how many teams shower at your tournament?

McCallie?

Soddy?

Coach mann?

BlackHorse?

Ryan?

Is this really that important? Does it really matter. Let us unify and get an acceptable venue for the kids. But while we were on this subject I actually had a key to McClellan during my stint at UTC. Anyone that I wrestled with knows what I'm talking about. We accessed McClellan and the swimming pool whenever we wanted. Good times. Probably fortunate we never got arrested. 

Point being it wasn't exactly top notch security. Perhaps a few kids were able to access the showers. I don't think anyone feels compelled to lie about this just to win a silly argument.

Edited by russianbear