Public School Baseball in Chattanooga

Pounder1

Hey eveyone...new to this blog and just getting back to HS baseball after seeing my oldest daughter through her HS Soccer career.

Curious to get some thoughts from you regarding District 5 AA Grace - Copper Basin game last night...Copper won 3-2 in 8 innings in a vey close game that Grace led in 2-1 late.  Hats off to a gritty Copper team that just never quits.  Here's my question...Copper performance was highlighted by an heroic effort by their senior ace who threw THE ENTIRE 8 INNING GAME...approx 140 pitches!!

While a very impressive performance to secure an early district victory, is that too many pitches for a starter to be throwing this early in the season?

He threw 146 and he is a big strong kid, so coach and him must have felt like he could do it. At Boyd, we dont have anyone ready to do that especially this early.

He threw 146 and he is a big strong kid, so coach and him must have felt like he could do it. At Boyd, we dont have anyone ready to do that especially this early.

No doubt he is a big strong kid and didn't lose much velocity if any as the game went on.  Has a reputation for having a rubber arm and heard someone suggest he might even come back and pitch again on Thursday.  Also a great sportsman showing a graceful/humble spirit after the game so I'm definitely a fan.

However, after going to a clinic recently by the ASMI they shared some sobering statistics... When a pitcher (14-20yrs old) throws 80+ pitches in a game, they are 3x more likely to sustain an injury.  AND...if they pitch fatigued, thery are 36x more likely to sustain an injury.  Consequently, I'm just worried for him and hate to see a great player toasted early for his Sr year and possibly risk long term issues.

Thx for the response Dogg.  Look forward to more Chatty baseball chatter...

While your at it why don't you throw out the new heat rule for football and helmet to helmet rule.

99% of high school footbal players don't play college so it dosn't matter.

Throw out the must slide rule in high school baseball so we can have more exciting home plate plays.

The point was your arm is not built to handle the stress of that many pitches especially this early in the season. If he is that good the coach should do what he needs to do to insure he is still there for him in May. This is a kids health issue  not a career issue.

I would wager 95% of high pitchers never pitch again past high school. So, a lot of folks would be wrong.

So if you are never going to throw a baseball again who cares if you can use your arm for anything else the rest of your life because you won that one baseball game in March of your senior year in high school. Like I said YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

So if you are never going to throw a baseball again who cares if you can use your arm for anything else the rest of your life because you won that one baseball game in March of your senior year in high school. Like I said YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

So throwing 146 pitches, overusing your arm, is going to cause you to NEVER BE ABLE TO USE YOUR ARM FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE?  Lol, who's the idiot, pal?  That's quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever read on here.