Inspiring for coaches and wrestlers...

Sommers

Great UTC talent gets some vindication from Nashville area judge...

http://studio.ndnmediaservices.com/timesfreepress?ndn.trackingGroup=91692&ndn.siteSection=chattanooga_nws_loc_sty_pp&ndn.videoId=29519616&freewheel=91692&sitesection=chattanooga_nws_loc_sty_pp&vid=29519616

College student-athletes' life's lessons... Use good judgement and avoid these nightmares.

• 2 weeks later...

The Animal got me thinking... It was a fun tournament at Glencliff in '82 as I watched Nick's father, Tom Marable, dominate 155 and my bro, Hixson's Blosser, then wildcat hulk Jonathan Smith do fairly well next couple of weights up, but earlier there was an amazing match with Cleveland's Soph Hank Howard vs defending champ senior David Thoni of Ryan. I can't recall why this was Howard's last match... Also, who is that ref? (Can't say I agree with the Thoni escape, sorry Jack, if that was you).

Enjoy and read trivia...

https://youtu.be/7icffUwrqOU

Edited by Sommers

No, this is not Jack officiating the match.   This is Hall of Fame Official Joe Wiggins, long time Ref from Middle Tennessee.  You have to love the perm!  It was not clear whether it was an escape; however there was a loss of control IMO.  Also, the previous poster posted that Sommers is wrong again in that Thoni was not a Senior OR a returning state champ.  If this is true per the previous post, Sommers is not telling the truth.  As you can see Sommers, I am not the only one calling you out when you are wrong.

When does this end?

• Upvote 1

David Thoni won the state one time his senior year in 1983. Do not believe everything youn read.

He also was a two time runner-up his Sophomore and Junior year. So in 1982 he was a returning finalist.

Any recollection as to why Howard didn't return, I can't seem to recall as I remember him being talented like his older brother, Jeff.
  • Upvote 1

Rich Tradition Continues under new coaching leadership...

I missed this one, but still great break for Coach Mullins after 35 years or so,,, Congrats John!!

... and Rocco's great op while still competing with small D1's as TSSAA denied any division changes affecting ND this season...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2015/aug/13/mansuetakes-irish-wrestling-reins-mullin/319552/

Mansueto takes Irish wrestling reins from Mullin

by Ward Gossett

New Notre Dame wrestling coach Rocco Mansueto.

Photo by Jake Daniels /Times Free Press.

Notre Dame has a new wrestling coach, with former University of Tennessee at Chattanooga assistant Rocco Mansueto stepping in to replace legendary veteran John Mullin.

It wasn't necessarily time but rather timing that led to the change, one urged by Mullin, who has been part of the Irish wrestling tradition as an athlete or coach for the past 40 years.

"It was an unusual year in that we had several faculty positions open. I happened to find out that Rocco was available and, more than that, that he had his master's degree in educational guidance," said Mullin, knowing that Notre Dame uncharacteristically had two guidance department openings.

Mullin, who remains in his position as Notre Dame's dean of students, had hoped to step back from wrestling with little fanfare, but the former state medalist — back when all teams competed in one division — has played a part in the development of the sport in the Chattanooga area and in Tennessee.

He has kept the Irish as one of the area's most competitive teams. They finished no worse than fifth 10 times at state duals, including a three-year run of championships from 2006 to 2008 and a runner-up finish in 2009. He also produced a number of traditional state tournament medalists, more than a dozen of them claiming championships.

"There's no regrets," Mullin said of his decision. "I'm pumped. I'm still going to be supportive and helping — just in a different way — but it energizes me. Being able to bring somebody in with Rocco's academic credentials was big, and obviously his wrestling credentials were a clincher."

Mansueto has a bachelor's degree in psychology and a master's degree in school counseling.

"That's what got him in the door — great credentials as an educator — but it's comforting to know that Rocco is going to be leading the wrestling program," Mullin said.

Mansueto, a three-time NCAA tournament qualifier and one of the 2002 world team trials finalists, coached at John Carroll University, Cape Henry Collegiate School and West Point before accepting an assistant's position on Heath Eslinger's staff at UTC. He held that job for three years before stepping out to start a private business that involved gear designed for and marketed to wrestlers. Part of the proceeds from that business went to support Olympic-caliber wrestlers.

Yet Mansueto missed coaching and working with young people.

"Stepping away from UTC taught me a valuable lesson. Coaching and working with young people is a very big part of my genetic makeup," he said. "However, I didn't want just to go someplace to coach, and here there is a strong, credible, pointed position in the athletic field."

He also is inheriting a program that has held its own around the state.

"I feel really good about working with the kids and adding layers to an already good system," Mansueto said. "John's been here for years. There's consistency and winning. The alumni base is strong. I get excited about the history of wrestling at Notre Dame and the passion for the sport in the Notre Dame community. I'm honored that John felt I could be the next guy to run with the program."

Mullin said veteran assistants Tim Voiles and Nathan Wehunt and administrative assistant Melissa Slavin would remain with the program.

Contact Ward Gossett at wgossett@timesfreepress.com or 423-886-4765. Follow him at Twitter.com/wardgossett.

• Upvote 1

Chill and enjoy life, ol face!!

Sommers, or should I call you Somber, I am living life to the fullest.  You accused me of always targeting YOU when you where wrong; however, I only pointed out that SOMEBODY ELSE called you out WHEN YOU WERE WRONG.  Why not apologize for saying what was wrong?  If you state what is true, you will not hear from me about it.  

I think you owe an apology for stating incorrect information.  You always avoid the question when you are wrong.

Is that so hard?

No mention that I correctly stated that was Hall of Fame member Joe Wiggins from Middle Tennessee calling the match.  I thought he did a great job of calling the match.

• Upvote 1

Not the biggest Biden fan, but I love the will to fight and ride above challenges and tragedy... Thanks Coach!!!

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2015/8/24/306878/UTC-Wrestling-Coach-Tell-Pachyderm-Club.aspx

UTC Wrestling Coach Tell Pachyderm Club That Leaders Are Needed

Monday, August 24, 2015 - by Emmett Gienapp

If there’s one thing that UTC head wrestling coach Heath Eslinger wants, it’s leaders.

In an address to the Pachyderm club on Monday, he said, "We have plenty of people who want to lead and who perform well in the spotlight, but they struggle in the day-to-day duties of their positions because they don’t know where they’re going.

He said, “To be a great leader, you have to decide where you’re going.â€

He told the club that he believes it is essential for leaders in any context to step up and think ahead, casting a clear vision of aspired goals to the people who follow them.

Thinking back to the memorial service for the five slain servicemen earlier this month, he said that he was confused by something after the whole event. The speakers, audience, and community, all prayed and sang, clamoring for an ultimate leader.

“We started with prayer because we needed help,†he said. “When tragedy strikes, you go to the source that gives hope.â€

“When tragedy strikes, there’s one place to turn.â€

He gave examples of leaders turning to something other than themselves, with both mayor Andy Berke and Vice President Joe Biden giving quotes from Isaiah during the ceremony.

For Mr. Eslinger, those pleas for guidance and the general trend of aimlessness he sees being propagated in society underscores a need to rethink what the community values and how society defines quality leadership.

His goal at Chattanooga wrestling is to “change what it means to be a man.†To reject the social norm that men should be defined by their sexual prowess, athleticism, or income.

He said, “At some point in our lives, it’s time for the little boy to sit down and for the man to stand up.â€

That may look different for each individual, but a clear, defined vision is essential. The ability to “turn to great things because they’re great,†he said.

• Upvote 1

Sommers, or should I call you Somber, I am living life to the fullest.  You accused me of always targeting YOU when you where wrong; however, I only pointed out that SOMEBODY ELSE called you out WHEN YOU WERE WRONG.  Why not apologize for saying what was wrong?  If you state what is true, you will not hear from me about it.  

I think you owe an apology for stating incorrect information.  You always avoid the question when you are wrong.

Is that so hard?

No mention that I correctly stated that was Hall of Fame member Joe Wiggins from Middle Tennessee calling the match.  I thought he did a great job of calling the match.

Yes, humans can make mistakes and aquire incorrect info from various sources.

So face and Hoosierdad, same individual?

• Upvote 1

hoosierdiddy, you stole my thunder and beat me to the punch.  I too am living the life.  Enjoying this great weather and Friday night football.  Soms, no, it is not me, but, I like his style.  As for the incorrect info from various sources, why does this continue to happen?  Why did PaulSimpson have to call you out this time?  It appears you are creating a fan base that does not like it when you say things that are not true.

Misinformation again and again.  This is becoming habit forming.

• Upvote 1

Failed to see anyone but Face and Paul point this horrible mistake out... Seriously? Don't believe Mr Simpson had too much concern; but he, Hoosierdad, Face and likely soon to be texypetey is painfully

;) ...reminding me not trust youtube anymore, huh... After all, the blue raider/Howard supporter that posted this video was ONE entire grade year off, and heaven forbid I guessed incorrectly on the ref, that's a travesty...

Still wondering if anyone remembers what happened with Howard after this unexpected championship?

• Upvote 1