Inspiring for coaches and wrestlers...

Sommers

Women's wrestling continues to grow...

http:www.thefranklinnewspost.com/article.cfm?ID=29977

COLLEGE WRESTLINGFerrum joins WCWA

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

FERRUM -- Ferrum College has officially joined the Women's Collegiate Wrestling Association (WCWA) as of Monday.

Formed in 2008, the WCWA is the current governing body for all collegiate women's wrestling programs in the United States at NCAA Division I, II and III, NAIA and NJCAA institutions.

Ferrum announced on April 23 that it would begin a women's collegiate wrestling program and a men's club wrestling program to compliment the Panthers' two-year-old men's intercollegiate program.

On May 6, Ferrum confirmed the hiring of Chris Michael as head coach for women's team and the men's club squad.

Ferrum begins competition in the WCWA this fall.

The WCWA competes in the Olympic discipline of freestyle wrestling in these weight classes: 101, 109, 116, 123, 130, 136, 143, 155, 170 and 191 pounds.

The WCWA's primary role is to standardize the competition rules for women until the NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA sanction it as an emerging sport.

Each governing body requires a minimum number of schools to sponsor a particular sport before they will sponsor a national championship.

The WCWA is a completely autonomous association administering programs of intercollegiate athletics participating in the sport of women's wrestling in accredited colleges and universities.

WCWA member institutions are Campbellsville University, East Tennessee State University, Jamestown College, Northwest Kansas Technical College, King College, Lindenwood University Saint Charles MO, Lindenwood University Belleville, Lock Haven University, Menlo College, Midland University, Missouri Baptist University, Missouri Valley College, Oklahoma City University, Pacific University, Simon Fraser University, Southwest Oregon Community College, Springfield Technical Community College, University of the Cumberlands, Waldorf College, Wayland Baptist University, and West Chester University.

Checking in with UTC Wrestling Coach Heath Eslinger

http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17700&ATCLID=210099073

Courtesy: GoMocs.com

Release: 05/20/2015

2014-15 Season Recap

by Zack Kirby

The Chattanooga Mocs wrestling team concluded its 2014-15 campaign with a 45th place finish at the NCAA Championships in March. Under sixth-year head coach Heath Eslinger, the Mocs posted a 13-6 overall record, along with an undefeated 7-0 mark in the Southern Conference.

UTC won the SoCon regular-season title for the 15thtime, and won the SoCon Tournament for the 29thtime. In his six years, Eslinger has guided the program to five SoCon tournament and regular-season titles, and a 29-1 conference record.

A big part of the program’s success was the senior class that included Michigan transfer Sean Boyle. He was named SoCon Wrestler of the Year with a 32-7 overall record in the 125-pound weight class and earned the No.5 seed in the NCAA Championships.

Other wrestlers who earned NCAA bids were seniorsNick Soto at 133 (No.15 seed) and Shawn Greevy at 149, and sophomores Michael Pongracz at 141, Sean Mappes at 174, Scottie Boykin at 197 and Jared Johnson at 285.

Throughout the summer months, GoMocs.com will sit down all 12 head coaches to see how things are going in each program.  In this Q&A, Eslinger shares his thoughts on the season, as well as what his team can build upon for 2015-16.   

After concluding the 2014-15 season, what are some main takeaways that stood out to you? 

“We learned that as a team, we can never let ourselves get down. We were faced with some adversity and a lot of times, organizations would have let that move them south.  We found a way to point this team north and that is a complement to our athletes and our coaching staff.

I think we continue to see that we can compete with the best teams in the country. The win over Oklahomawas big, and we want to do that on a more consistent basis. I think it really motivated me to try to be the best mid-major team in Division I wrestling. I think we’re close, and I think we can get there.

We lost some close matches to some really good teams.  All year we saw what we were capable of, even if we came up a little bit short. But again, I don’t think we hung our head.  We kept pressing on and saw some improvement towards the end of the year.

I think there were several matches that were close, because we saw the light at the end of the tunnel. We never let that get us down, and that is something that I was proud of.â€

The Mocs scored a signature win over Oklahoma 19-16 on Feb. 15 in Maclellan Gym.

What is the biggest improvement you saw in your team from the beginning of the season to the end? 

“I really think we had some individuals step up and play. We had Jared Johnson at heavyweight andAustin Sams at 157 kept making improvements. I think the biggest improvements that we preach is that no high is too high and no low is too low.

We are going to do the right things every day and let great things happen. I don’t know if we had a single improvement, but it was a manifestation of what we talk about all the time.â€

What’s the main thing you’re looking forward to this upcoming season? 

“I think we really have some tough kids coming in that have the talent to do some big things. We lost some good guys and people might think we’re down a little, but I love that.

I don’t believe in down years and there’s no rebuilding, because every year we’re going to try and put good teams out there. It’s going to be interesting to see how many guys shake out of our lineup, and I’m excited about that.â€

Do you see anyone on your returning roster that possesses the same qualities as last season’s senior class? 

“The thing that our seniors had was consistency. From day one, Soto and Boyle were consistent for us. Levi Clemons was very consistent last year and Shawn Greevy was too. That is the main thing we look for and doing those things over time will lead to good results.

Some guys were able to see that and I think we have a lot of other guys coming back that can do the same things. That is why it is not a rebuilding year because we can just get back on the horse with a new guy and go to war.

We’ve had a really consistent spring and we’ve seen improvement heading into the summer.  I think we’ll see that go into full effect come winter.â€

RETURNING STARTERS

NameWt.Class14-15 RecordNoteMichael Pongracz141Junior19-16Runner-up at the SoCon Championships ... at-large bid to NCAAs.Austin Sams157Senior19-16Third place finish at the SoCon Championships.Justin Lampe165Sophomore4-13Joined the team in January.Sean Mappes174Junior17-12SoCon Champion at 174 ... competed at the NCAAs.John Shrader184Junior16-7Third place at the SoCon Championships.Scottie Boykin197Junior25-13Third place at the SoCon Championships ... won two matches at the NCAAs after earning an at-large bid.Jared Johnson285Junior30-11Second place at the SoCon Championships ... competed at the NCAAs.

With a recruiting class that has 18 high-school state championships combined, along with multiple All-Americans, what impact do you think they can make this upcoming season? 

“We’ve got some guys that can compete, and they are going to have to show that they can be consistent day in and day out. We’re going to have to have guys make an immediate impact and there’s no time to grow up, because they’re college wrestlers now. The summer will prove to be a critical training ground for the guys that will help us next year.â€

During this offseason, what are some of the things that you are building on for next year? 

“It is different things for each guy. Some guys have to get a little bit more consistent, while some guys need to get tougher.

The summer is great because there’s a lot of other stress reduced in terms of school and competition. I think the greatest growth for us is right now.  The sun is not beating down on us and we can water the plant and let it grow. We just want them to continue to love training and have a vision in order to make great things happen.â€

Who do you think could emerge as possible leaders next year? 

“Austin Sams has really done a great job of taking ownership. John Schrader and Scottie Boykin have also done a great job.  I think we have a great group of guys. I think we all lead each other.

Every kid has his own struggles and strengths, and if we use that together, we can complement it together. That is the sign of a great team.  I think we’re really starting see that this summer, and hopefully we can reap the reward of all of that heading into the winter.â€

Austin Sams is one of three seniors on the roster for 2015-16. 

What is your favorite thing about being a head coach?

“One, I think the greatest complement of anyone is that someone would want to do what they’re doing because of the impact you had on them. Obviously, seeing kids that want to get into coaching is very gratifying for me.

Also seeing how well-rounded our guys are who graduated is also very satisfying to me.  We’re not producing wrestlers, we’re producing people. It’s evident academically, socially, athletically.  I think we’re seeing very mature people leave our program. It’s fun to watch and that’s why I got in this business.â€

Mocs Sports Properties

Here's a good one worth watching if you feel a bit challenged here in Tennessee.

Coach Branstetter of Poway High in Calif. ran into a major feat about 5 years ago with only a few varsity wrestlers left + some false accusations from a few foes causing further distractions,,, he knew his team would ALL have to overachieve and turn the tables in some key matchups to beat the odds and have any chance in a state (the largest) where there are No divisions. And, once getting qualified through sectionals vs. over 100 schools, there was still a 64 man bracket to fight through and earn that glorious climb up on the podium.

enjoy...

Those Who Stay Will Be Champions (25 minute versi…:

Worth Repeating...A must see especially for those with a smaller school and facing adversity. ..

https://youtu.be/VjzpABbY1-M

I believe our club teams may have faired well against a few of these, KY & GA looks to have a bright future according to Flo...

Club Name Location Ranking

1. SOT Academy (A Team)

CO

2. Bear Cave

CO

3. SCORE Wrestling Club

CO

4. La Gente

CO

5. Grindhouse Wrestling School

GA

6. MF1

GA

7. POWA

CO

8. Elite Force Wrestling Club

CA

9. Legends of Gold

SD

10. Sebolt Wrestling Academy

IA

11. Without Limits Wrestling

TX

12. USA GOLD

CA

13. Team Legacy

UT

14. Palomino Academy

CA

15. Duran Elite

CO

16. Dethrone

CA

17. RED COBRA WRESTLING ACADEMY

IN

18. Terminator Wrestling Academy

MO

19. Maple Valley Wrestling Club

MI

20. Team Central Wrestling Club

MO

21. Higher Level Wrestling

WI

22. Michigan West WC

MI

23. Punishment Wrestling Academy

KY

24. High Elevation Wrestling Club

CO

25. Indiana Pride Academy

IN

Edited by Sommers

Keep in mind wrestlers, coaches, fans, Mom's & Dads,,,, YOU DO HAVE ANOTHER OPTION CLOSE TO HOME... These teams do enter big name tournaments, and duals with big name universities and remember, we did end up with another high 2015 finish out of Lebanon, Tn's Cumberland University (#9) and they did win some impressive duals during the season. Higher School of Learning with respected diplomas and a tuition noticeably greater than most in the SE...

Again a Reminder

2015 NAIA National Championships

Results

Team Scores

1. Grand View 147.5

2. Southern Oregon 109.0

3. Lindsey Wilson 104.5

4. Great Falls 87.5

5. Oklahoma City 71.0

6. Campbellsville 61.0

7. Missouri Valley 58.5

8. Montana State-Northern 57.5

9. Cumberland 55.5

10. Midland 48.5

11. Dickinson State 46.5

12. Concordia 43.0

13. Menlo 36.5

14. Baker 34.0

15. Embry-Riddle 33.0

16. Indiana Tech 32.5

17. Life 31.5

18. Jamestown 25.0

19. William Penn 23.5

20. Cumberlands 22.0

21. Morningside 20.0

22. Williams Baptist 16.5

23. Benedictine 14.5

24. Ottawa 13.0

24. St. Andrews 13.0

26. Dakota Wesleyan 12.0

27. Doane 10.5

28. York 9.5

29. Bethany 7.5

30. Missouri Baptist 5.0

31. Briar Cliff 3.0

31. Graceland 3.0

31. Hastings 3.0

34. Wayland Baptist 2.5

35. Simpson 2.0

36. Bacone 1.0

36. Northwestern 1.0

36. Waldorf 1.0

39. Brewton-Parker 0.0

39. Calumet 0.0

39. St. Catherine 0.0

39. Warner Pacific 0.0

43. Hannibal-LaGrange -1.0

Wrestlers that made Dean's List are...

Aric Fernandez – Psychology

Joey Leach (Fairview HS)

Health and Human Performance

Jamison Manning (Donelson Christian Academy) – Criminal Justice/Public Administration

Nick Paden – Secondary Education

Christian Varner (Hixson High) – Engineering Science

Along with impressive student atheletes from Cal, Mid West and the SE includi g their Brothers Martin pipeline,,, Other Tn Names you may remember...

Nate Crowley Pigeon Forge HS

Stephen Jackson Gibbs HS (King Univ. Trans)

Kyle Lee Franklin HS

Clifford Terrell Brentwood HS

Richard Williams Glencliff HS

Notable Alumni:

The school's alumni include more than eight congressmen and thirty college presidents.

Cordell Hull, Secretary of State under President Franklin Delano Roosevelt from 1933 to 1944.

Howell Edmunds Jackson, Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court, 1893–1895

Thomas P. Gore, United States Senator from Oklahoma, 1907–1921; 1931–1937

Horace Harmon Lurton, Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court, 1910–1914

Frank G. Clement, Governor of Tennessee, 1954–1959; 1963–1967

David R. Ray, Medal of Honor Recipient for his heroic actions during the Vietnam War

Chris Smith, MLB Baltimore Orioles 2001 1st round draft pick pitcher

Oren Harris, U.S. Representative from Arkansas, 1953-1966; thereafter a U.S. District Judge based in El Dorado

Maecenas Eason Benton, U.S. Representative from Missouri, 1897-1905, and father of famous painter, Thomas Hart Benton.

Wright Patman, U.S. Representative from Texas, 1929–1976

George E. Allen, head coach of the 1916 football team that lost 0-222 to Georgia Tech, later an advisor to President Harry Truman

Cale Young Rice, playwright and poet.

Laban Lacy Rice, noted educator and writer, former president of Cumberland University.

Thomas G. Abernethy, U.S. Representative from Mississippi, 1943–1973

Morgan M. Moulder, U.S. Representative from Missouri, 1948–1962

Theodore M. Brantley 1881 - longest-serving Chief Justice of the Montana Supreme Court, serving for 23 years (1899-1922)

Jeff Davis (Arkansas governor), Democratic United States Senator from Arkansas and the 20th Governor of the U.S. state of Arkansas[9]

Brady Gentry - U.S. Representative from Texas 1953-1957

John T. Watkins - U.S. Representative for Louisiana's 4th congressional district, 1905 to 1921

Edited by Sommers

Kudos to our Tn Elite Wrestlers...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2015/5/26/301187/UTC-Wrestlers-are-11th-in-Nation-in.aspx

UTC Wrestlers are 11th in Nation in GPA

Three Wrestlers Earn Academic All-NWCA

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team finished in the company of the nation’s elite when it comes to academics for the 2014-15 season.  The Mocs were No. 11 among all NCAA Division I programs with a 3.201 team grade-point-average, according to a recent release from the National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA).

The NWCA calculates team grade-point average using a system that includes 12 student-athletes from each program.  A total of 10 of these were regular starters for each team at each weight class, plus two other reserves.

“We have always had a strong focus on academics in our program and these are the types of results we expect with Chattanooga wrestling,†stated head coach Heath Eslinger.  “We want to be the best at everything we do, so I expect to see us climbing higher each year.† 

Chattanooga is the highest ranking team on the list that also won its conference championship.  It is the first time UTC has made the top-15 since finishing 12th in 2012.  The Mocs were also No. 8 in the nation in 2011. 

Chattanooga had three individuals, senior Sean Boyle and sophomores Jared Johnson and John Shrader, earn a spot on the NWCA All-Academic Team.  In order to earn this honor, student-athletes must achieve a 3.2 cumulative g.p.a., win 60% of their total schedule or be an NCAA qualifier.

“Sean, Jared and John all set an outstanding example of how to be a true student-athlete,†added Eslinger.  “They perform in the classroom and in competition, and are excellent representatives of our University.â€

Boyle was the 2015 SoCon Wrestler of the Year with a 32-7 overall record, while Johnson qualified and competed at the NCAA Championships with a 30-11 mark.  Shrader finished third at the SoCon Tournament while posting a 16-7 record.

This is the most individual honors for the Mocs since grabbing four spots on the NWCA All-Academic team in 2011.  For the full list of Division I wrestling team GPAs and Academic All-NWCA honorees, click the link at the top of the page. 

Mocs do it again with the help of Football & Wrestling, with other high finishes in b-ball and golf (women's sports too)...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2015/may/27/chattanooga-mocs-win-2014-15-southern-conference-commissioners-cup/306499/

Chattanooga Mocs win 2014-15 Southern Conference Commissioner's Cup

May 27th, 2015by Gene Henleyin Sports - CollegeRead Time: < 1 min.

Mocs wrestlers meet with head coach Heath Eslinger. Photo by Tim Barber/Times Free Press.

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga athletics program won the 2014-15 Southern Conference Commissioner's Cup, which is awarded to the top men's athletics program in the conference. It is the second time the Mocs have won the honor, having also won the award after the 2004-05 season.

Each school receives points for its finish during the regular season and earns two extra points for winning the conference tournament. In golf, track and field and cross-country — sports where there is not a regular-season champion — the final results at the championship determine the points for those schools.

UTC finished with 51.58 points, narrowly defeating Mercer, who had 51.57 in one of the closest finishes in the conference awards history. Samford was third and Wofford fourth.

During the 2014-15 season, the Mocs' football and wrestling teams won the regular-season championships. Wrestling also won the conference tournament title. The men's basketball program finished second in the regular season while the golf program took third at the SoCon tournament.

The UTC women's program's placed second in the Germann Cup standings.

For full story, read Thursday's Times Free Press.

WRESTLING - DNJ Coverage...

•Oakland Youth Wrestling camp: A youth wrestling camp for ages 5-14 will be 9 a.m.-noon, June 1-3 at Oakland High School. Registration begins at 8:15 a.m. on June 1.

Camp will include individual instruction, wrestling drills and wrestling-related games.

Oakland wrestling coach Josh Harris, UTC wrestler Scottie Boykin and MTSU wrestler Eric Feuerbacher will be the camp's coaches.

Campers should bring a shirt, shorts, wrestling shoes (if they have them) or socks and shoes if they do not.

Cost is $45 per wrestler or $20 for additional siblings.

Email Harris at harrisj@rcschools.net. Or for more information, call 615-414-4213

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/2015/05/27/recreation-activities/28046621/

• Upvote 1

In case you missed it...

Young Buck Snyder, The Magic Man and Super Star Burroughs lead a major US Victory over Cuba All Star Team...

http://news.theopenmat.com/2015/05/usa-wrestling-wins-9-4-vs-cuba-at-beat-the-streets/

STREETS

05/22/2015Breaking Wrestling News, International WrestlingBeat The Streets

By Gary Abbott, USA Wrestling

NEW YORK, N.Y. – With fans packed around the mat, and live video on the huge screens in Times Square, the United States defeated Cuba 9-4 at the Beat the Streets “Salsa in the Square.â€

The fans came for a show, and the U.S. delivered, highlighted by an explosive win from the Magic Man. 2015 U.S. Open champion David Taylor, who beat Olympic bronze medalist and three-time World medalist Livan Lopez in an 18-7 technical fall.

The first period was tied 6-6, with Taylor scoring the first six points, then Lopez powering back with a two-point turn and a four-point crotch lift throw. The second period was all Taylor. A four-point throw was followed by a series of takedowns and turns which ended with a cradle turn then a bar arm tilt for the technical fall.

“He is a tough guy. He was wrestling a great competition. Sometimes I hold myself back. In that match, I just continued to wrestle. Since I was a little kid, I do my best when I wrestle the entire time,†said Taylor.

2012 Olympic Champion and two-time World champion Jordan Burroughs also added to the show, competing in the final match of the night against young Luis Esteban Quintana. Burroughs led 6-0 at the break, and added four more points in the second period for a 10-1 lead. Then he exploded for a takedown, taking Quintana to his back and securing the pin at 4:50.

“That dude was extremely athletic. He wanted to keep the score close and I didn’t. I had to be the opposite of the perspective he brought to the match. I like to score points and thrive on the crowd’s energy,†said Burroughs.

Another highlight win for the American freestylers came at 97 kg/213 lbs., when 2013 Junior World champion Kyle Snyder, just 19 years old, beat 2014 World bronze medalist Javier Cortina, 4-0. Snyder scored on78 a single leg takedown and two pushouts to shut out the Cuban star. Snyder, an NCAA runner-up as a freshman for Ohio State, won his first U.S. Open title earlier this month.

“I love wrestling on the stage. I am so grateful Mike Novogratz picked me to compete here, That guy was strong. It is great to wrestle a World bronze medalist and compete well against him. There are some things I can fix moving forward, but it was good,†said Snyder.

The United States won five of the seven men’s freestyle matches, in a card which featured 14 bouts encompassing all three Olympic styles. Other men’s freestyle winners for the United States were veteran stars Brent Metcalf at 65 kg/145.5 lbs. and Tervel Dlagnev at 125 kg/275 lbs.

For the second time in the last two months, Metcalf defeated Franklin Maren, this time by an 8-5 margin. Metcalf opened it up with a takedown to a gutwrench for four key points in the second period. Metcalf also beat Maren at the Freestyle World Cup in Los Angeles in April.

Dlagnev, a two-time World bronze medalist, opened up his offense for a 10-0 technical fall over young Andres Ramos Dinza, with a combination of takedowns and gutwrenches.

Cuba had a pair of men’s freestyle wins, as World medalist Yowlys Bonne beat Tony Ramos at 57 kg/125.5 lbs. by a 14-1 margin, with three spectacular throws. Also, three-time World medalist Reineris Salas stopped 2009 World silver medalist Jake Herbert at 86 kg/185 lbs., 8-4.

The meet started with four women’s freestyle matches, which featured three U.S. wins.

2008 Olympic bronze medalist Randi Miller of Team USA opened the night with an 11-0 technical fall over 17-year old Yudari Sanchez of Cuba at 69 kg/152 lbs.. Miller scored four spin-behind takedowns, an ankle pick and a pushout to get her victory in the second period.

2012 Olympic bronze medalist and 2008 World champion Clarissa Chun came back at 48 kg with an 8-2 win over Yusneylis Guzman. Chun opened with a 6-0 lead in the first period, with a four-point toss and a takedown. Guzman came back with a takedown, but could not close the gap after that.

2012 World silver medalist and 2014 World bronze medalist Helen Maroulis kept up the momentum with a 10-0 technical fall over Yamilka del Valle. After leading 4-0 at the break, Maroulis scored three second period takedowns to put the match away.

Cuba got a win at 60 kg/132 lbs. with a technical fall of their own, as Yekelin Stornell defeated New York City native Rosemary Flores, 11-0. A product of the Beat the Streets program, Flores competed for Curtis High School on Staten Island, and wrestled in Times Square during the Beat the Streets youth matches while she was in high school. She is now at Campbellsville University.

There were two Greco-Roman matches, which were split 1-1 between the nations.

At 75 kg/165 lbs., 2014 World bronze medalist Andy Bisek scored a key gutwrench turn to defeat Yurisandi Hernandez, 4-1. Bisek controlled the pace of the match throughout.

In an active match with some excellent throws, Cuban Maykel Anache defeated two-time Olympian Spenser Mango (USA), 6-4. It was his second win over Mango this season, including the 2015 Pan American Championships finals.

In a special challenge match, reigning NCAA Div. I national champion Alex Dieringer of Oklahoma State defeated reigning NCAA Div. II national champion Joey Davis of Notre Dame College, 9-0. Dieringer led 1-0 at the break. When he was put on the shot clock in the second period, he scored a nice ankle-pick takedown to get his offense going. After a throw-by, he hit two gutwrenches for the 9-0 win.

Dieringer is a two-time NCAA champion. Davis is a three-time NCAA champion, and has not yet lost a college wrestling match. This match caught the interest of the wrestling community.

This is the fourth time this event has been held in Times Square in its six-year history. Other locations have been Grand Central Terminal and on the deck of the U.S.S. Intrepid aircraft carrier.

This event is a fundraiser for the Beat the Streets program, which provides wrestling opportunities for more than 3,000 young people in New York City each year.

BEAT THE STREETS “SALSA IN THE SQUAREâ€

USA 9, CUBA 4

Women’s freestyle

69 kg/152 lbs. – Randi Miller (USA) tech. fall Yudari Sanchez Rodriguez (Cuba), 11-0

60 kg/132 lbs. – Yekelin Stornell Elastigue (Cuba) tech. fall Rosemary Flores (USA), 11-0

48 kg/105.5 lbs. – Clarissa Chun (USA) dec. Yusneylis Guzman Lopez (Cuba), 8-2

55 kg/121 lbs. – Helen Maroulis (USA) tech. fall Yamilka del Valle Alvarez (Cuba), 10-0

Greco-Roman

75 kg/165 lbs. – Andy Bisek (USA) dec. Yurisandi Hernandez Rios (Cuba), 4-1

59 kg/130 lbs. –Maykel Anache Lamout (Cuba) dec. Spenser Mango (USA), 6-4

Men’s freestyle

125 kg/275 lbs. – Tervel Dlagnev (USA) tech. fall Andres Ramos Dinza (Cuba), 10-0

57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Yowlys Bonne Rodriguez (Cuba) tech. fall Tony Ramos (USA), 14-1

97 kg/213 lbs. – Kyle Snyder (USA) dec. Javier Cortina Lacerra (Cuba), 4-0

65 kg/143 lbs. – Brent Metcalf (USA) dec. Franklin Maren Castillo (Cuba), 8-5

74 kg/163 lbs. – David Taylor (USA) tech. fall Livan Lopez Azcuy (Cuba), 18-7

86 kg/189 lbs. – Reineris Salas Perez (Cuba) dec. Jake Herbert (USA), 8-4

74 kg/163 lbs. – Jordan Burroughs (USA) pin Luis Esteban Quintana Martinez (Cuba), 4:50

Special Challenge Match

NCAA Div. I champion Alex Dieringer (Oklahoma State) dec. NCAA Div. II champion Joey Davis (Notre Dame College), 9-0

Edited by Sommers
  • Upvote 1

Mocs do it again with the help of Football & Wrestling, with other high finishes in b-ball and golf (women's sports too)...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2015/may/27/chattanooga-mocs-win-2014-15-southern-conference-commissioners-cup/306499/

Chattanooga Mocs win 2014-15 Southern Conference Commissioner's Cup

May 27th, 2015by Gene Henleyin Sports - CollegeRead Time: < 1 min.

Mocs wrestlers meet with head coach Heath Eslinger. Photo by Tim Barber/Times Free Press.

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga athletics program won the 2014-15 Southern Conference Commissioner's Cup, which is awarded to the top men's athletics program in the conference. It is the second time the Mocs have won the honor, having also won the award after the 2004-05 season.

Each school receives points for its finish during the regular season and earns two extra points for winning the conference tournament. In golf, track and field and cross-country — sports where there is not a regular-season champion — the final results at the championship determine the points for those schools.

UTC finished with 51.58 points, narrowly defeating Mercer, who had 51.57 in one of the closest finishes in the conference awards history. Samford was third and Wofford fourth.

During the 2014-15 season, the Mocs' football and wrestling teams won the regular-season championships. Wrestling also won the conference tournament title. The men's basketball program finished second in the regular season while the golf program took third at the SoCon tournament.

The UTC women's program's placed second in the Germann Cup standings.

For full story, read Thursday's Times Free Press.

Worth repeating along with their 11th place GPA finish Nationally for D1 wrestling
  • Upvote 1