Inspiring for coaches and wrestlers...

Sommers

UTC Wrestlers Recognized...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2015/4/30/299398/UTC-Wrestling-Awards-Dinner.aspx

UTC Wrestling Awards Dinner

Nick Soto, Levi Clemons Most Valuable Wrestlers

Thursday, April 30, 2015 - by B.B. Branton

"Five years from now no one will care how many matches you won or how many trophies you have," said UTC coach Heath Eslinger.

"It's the friendships you have developed by being on this team, the struggles, the road trips and long workouts which lead to character development."

Thursday night at the Mocs Wrestling Dinner at the Waterhouse Pavilion as coach Eslinger stood in front of current and past wrestlers along with parents, other supporters and UTC officials, he spoke from his heart about caring for people and helping teach life lessons which can carry one for a life time.

"Don't ask 'why me?' or 'what if' " stated Eslinger, "but great people focus on what's next in this journey of life for you and me.

"Right now it's the only question which matters."

Eslinger also gave a recap of the season highlighted by a huge win against Oklahoma (19-16) before a cheering home crowd at Maclellan Gym, another Southern Conference championship and sending seven wrestlers to the NCAA tourney, gave the seniors a chance to say some final words and handed out team awards.

Freshman of the Year: Jacob Murphy  ... 3.6 GPA ... 12-9 record and majoring in education

Most Improved: Junior Jared Johnson ... 3.69 in chemical engineering and clinched the dramatic win against Oklahoma in Big Mac with his 12-11 win at 285 against the No.11 ranked wrestler.

Pat Murphy Academic Award: 3-Peat for John Lampe who has received this award in 2013-14-15 and carries a 3.98 GPA.

Ethan Reeve Workhorse Award: Senior Sean Boyle ... 33-7 record at 125 pounds, SoCon champ and NCAA qualifier.

Jim Morgan MVP Award: Senior Nick Soto and Levi Clemons.

Soto had a career record of 114-28 and was undefeated in SoCon competition for four years and  and "had the greatest turn around I have seen in a long time as he went from being a boy to a man in four years," said Eslinger.

Clemons earned a 4.0 in the fall and graduates with a degree in criminal justice. He was a SoCon champion and NCAA qualifier as a junior.

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

Heres some exciting US Open match-ups and most anticipated by Flo...

http:/www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252173-2015-ASICS-US-Open/article/31272-Top-20-Matches-At-The-US-Open#.VUg8c58o7qA

2015 ASICS US Open...

Top 20 Matches

Logan Stieber a 6 seed!? You HAVE to see these U.S. Open pre-seeds to believe 'em.

When you look to the 2015 US Open and the list of hammers that are coming it is easy to let your mind wander on the potential super matches! Originally I had planned on a Top 10 list. Then I began to actually make the list, and couldn’t pare it down to 10. We'll have superstars Jake Varner, David Taylor, Coleman Scott, Brent Metcalf, Logan Stieber, Tervel Dlagnev, Tony Ramos and more (and more) all in attendace! I could have done top 50 without breaking a sweat because the hammers and combinations are close to limitless. There were a few great match ups left off, but I think this is a great taste for you to see all the potential incredible match ups we could see.

20. David Taylor v. Anthony Valencia-Isn’t even a SMALL part of you curious as to how this could go? Valencia has had moments where I’ve felt completely confident he could go with some of our best Seniors. Some of his performances I’m not so sure. DT is not impervious to be taken down by lesser competition (matches against Jackson Morse and Mark Martin come to mind), so it’s more than possible that Valencia could sneak a takedown or two here.

19. Brent Metcalf v. Jordan Oliver- See what I mean about trying to pare this down to a top 10? Metcalf Oliver at 19! We’ve had the pleasure of watching this one a few times before: 2012 Olympic Trials, 2013 US Open, 2013 World Team Trials and 2014 World Team Trials finals. The current tally is 4-1 in favor of Metcalf. All of their matches have been wrestled at an extremely high level with plenty of excitement to boot.

18. Dom Bradley v. Nick Gwiazdowski-Did you SEE this one last year!? ‘Nuff said.

DEFINITELY WORTH WATCHING AGAIN!

17. J’den Cox v. Kyle Snyder-Will J’den show more urgency this time around than he did intheir NCAA semi? Does Freestyle favor Snyder or Cox? Tons of questions surrounding these young superstars. Word going round is J'Den is FIRED UP for another match.

16. Reece Humphrey v. Coleman Scott-Their World Team Trials semi was a DANDY at Fargo last year. Who WOULDN’T want to see this one again? They will potentially hit in the finals as they’re the top 2 seeds at 61KG.

15. James Green v. Dustin Schlatter-I’ve made it no secret James Green is one of my favorites. Yet I think Schlatter is the one guy who could potentially take Marable out, not Green. Green struggles with the big hipped, positional guys (i.e. Marable) I’m interested to see where he stands against Schlatter who just won a Pan Am title!

14. Coleman Scott v. Cody Brewer-Bedlam at 61KG! Cody Brewer looked so good at NCAA’s I have no clue what to think about him. I think Coleman’s technical prowess against Brewer’s aggression and variety of attacks would make this a fantastic one to watch.

13. Joey McKenna v. Reece Humphrey-Two of our savviest Freestylers out there in par terre. This is a potential semi final match up based on the pre-seeds. I think Hump is a tough matchup for the Junior World Silver McKenna. McKenna makes his money on top, and we’ve seen Humphrey turned (albeit up at 65 and against Metcalf). Is it possible McKenna could give Reece a run?

12. Cody Brewer v. Kendric Maple-Sooner on Sooner crime! You’d think Maple has the advantage here, but I truly have no idea. The familiarity could make this one a bit more calculated, or it could turn into an all out slugfest between two extremely talented Sooners!

11. Ed Ruth v. Chris Perry-5 NCAA titles between these two and there have always been questions how this match would go. Conventional wisdom says Ed all day, but can you really ever count out Chris Perry.

10. Jake Herbert v. Ed Ruth-If you watched their FPL 5 match, there's no way you wouldn't want to catch this one. ? Once again, ‘nuff said! Herbert looked fantastic early. Then Ed got to his bread and butter!

9. David Taylor v. Andrew Howe-We’ve seen this for true third at 2013 World Team Trials and again at the 2014 World Team Trials and it’s been David Taylor getting his hand raised. With Howe going on a run to the Yarygin finals and Taylor having been off the mat apart from theYasar Dogu, I wonder if this could be Howe’s opportunity.

8. Anthony Valencia v. Andrew Howe-Valencia struggled with Mark Hall’s defense and strength at Who’s #1. How will Valencia go against another positional master like Andrew Howe?

7. Tervel Dlagnev v. Nick Gwiazdowski-In my opinion this is the present v. the future for 125KG. Two incredible athletes with excellent offense. I think Gwiaz can keep it closer than more would think. Then again, Tervel can gut with the best of ‘em. That could allow him to pull away.

6. Tony Ramos v. Joe Colon-Last time these two hit, it was a shockingly dominant win for Joe Colon! Since then, Ramos won NCAA’s and made a World Team. You can imagine Colon has been furiously awaiting another shot at Ramos. I want to see Ramos’ adjustments to Colon’s underhooks this time around. I’ve often said Ramos is among the best schematic wrestlers out there. Colon will put that theory to the test.

5. Ian Miller v. David Taylor-Two of the most exciting and dynamic guys out there for a variety of reasons! Miller is one of the best upper body guys in the country. One big bomb and we’ve seen him put away some of our best 74KG’s in the country! (Tyler Caldwell not once buttwice) How DT stays out of the ties and gets to his attacks will be fun to watch.

4. Aaron Pico v. Jordan Oliver-There’s about 10 combinations of wrestler v. Pico I could have put on here. Pico is looking to cement his spot as one of the 65 KG elites actually knocking off a World Champion earlier this year. Can Pico’s pace and pressure effect Oliver? Will JO pick Pico apart because of his rampant aggression?

3. Kyle Snyder v. Jake Varner-Like Dlagnev v. Gwiazdowski I think we’ve got the present v. the future here. Snyder is very possible the United States 2nd best guy at 97KG. Varner is head and shoulders above the competition domestically. Varner’s size will be an issue for Snyder. How close is Kyle? Let’s find out!

2. Logan Stieber v. Aaron Pico-As I said, there are so many combinations of matches I want to watch of Aaron Pico it’s ridiculous. This one is a potential quarterfinal match!? Freaking crazy right? Much like the Oliver/Pico match, I’m curious if Pico’s pressure will be used against him. If you come straight forward against Stieber, he has made many guys pay before.

1. Matt McDonough v. Tony Ramos-I’ve wanted to see this one since 2012 when Ramos got 3rd (behind Stieber and JO) and McDonough won his 2nd title. That was the point I really thought Tony could beat Matt. Remember, a few years ago Tony was widely considered to be a more natural 125 pounder but potentially unable to knock McDonough out of the spot. Then Ramos beats JO and many people began to wonder. I’ve thought Ramos could hang with McD for awhile now, but have always been curious how those battles in the room have gone. Can Ramos stifle McDonoughs uncanny finishing abillity? Can Ramos get to his re-attacks from Matt's attacks? As the top 2 seeds this could be the potential final at 57KG! Tom in one corner, Terry in another!? Sign me up! I think the stylisitic differences will be tremendous.

Edited by Sommers

Great Honor for This National Champion...

http://www.cumberland.edu/news/2015/05/05/state-representative-pody-presents-resolution-to-cu-wrestler.1485376

State Representative Pody Presents Resolution to CU Wrestler

5/5/2015

4:32 pm

State Representative Mark Pody recognized CU Wrestler Jake William’s accomplishment by presenting him with a House Joint Resolution.

This past spring Cumberland University’s Jake Williams won his second national title at 149 in extra time in the final session of the 58th Annual NAIA Wrestling Championships in Topeka, Kan.

This week State Representative Mark Pody made a special visit to campus to recognize William’s accomplishment by presenting him with a House Joint Resolution. The resolution highlighted his student-athletic abilities and being the first two-time national wrestling champion in Cumberland University history.

The match went to sudden victory and Williams finished off his second straight national title with a takedown and then a near fall in the final 30 seconds of that period, taking a 10-5 Decision. He became the first two-time national champion in Cumberland history and earns the program fourth overall national title.

Williams will also be honored on the floor of the Tennessee State House of Representatives during its next session.

Great things can happen for wrestlers anywhere in the state, Fantastic Finish for long time Coach Mark Humphrey...

http://m.thedailytimes.com/sports/maryville-s-solomon-receivers-rooster-wrestling-scholarship/article_11cae280-e04c-5e9c-9d6e-64327c839b6f.html?mode=jqm

Maryville's Solomon receivers 'Rooster' wrestling scholarship

Mark A. Large | The Daily Times

Chad Solomon

Chad Solomon set his goals long ago.

To hear his former coach tell it, Solomon was a foot shorter and a 100 pounds lighter seven years ago when the three-time state wrestling champion made the decisions that put him on the track to a storied prep wrestling career.

“As a fifth-grader, Chad made a decision to become the best wrestler he could be and to become a better student in the classroom,†retired hall of fame Maryville coach Mark Humphrey related via email. “He has worked very hard to achieve these goals. Chad has a 3.8 GPA and of course he is a three-time state wrestling champion. He was state champion at 171 lbs. in 2013. He was state champion at 184 lbs. in 2014. He was state champion at 184 lbs. in 2015.

“It is hard to imagine how tough it is to be a three-time state wrestling champion in the toughest division in the state. In the 55-year history of TSSAA state wrestling championships, Chad is the only East Tennessee wrestler north of the Chattanooga area to accomplish this feat.â€

That work brought its own rewards for the Maryville High senior. After a lot of recruiting interest, he signed to wrestling collegiately for UT Chattanooga. Earlier this week he was surprised to find he’d been named the Excel Award winner by “The Sports Page†as Maryville’s male athlete of the year. On Saturday he was even more surprised when he also received the Excel for the Blout Couty Male Athlete of the Year.

The one award among the many that have spilled in for the wrestler, who finished his prep career with a 175-9 record, was being named the recipient of the scholarship provided by the Skyler “Rooster†Boring Foundation earlier this month.

The foundation, set up to honor the Heritage wrestler killed in 2013, holds fundraisers throughout the year to help provide the scholarship given each year to a wrestler from one of the four high schools in Blount County, as well as assist the teams from those schools with their expenses at the state championships.

Receiving the scholarship — which looks not just as wrestling success, but community involvement and academics — was something Solomon took to heart.

“It meant a lot to me to get it,†Solomon told The Daily Times. “I knew Skyler and I’ve been good friends with several Heritage wrestlers. To get that was a big deal for me and I think its a big deal for wrestling in Blount County to have that scholarship available.â€

The criteria for the selection were also a motivating factor for Solomon.

“It’s a little bit of extra motivation,†the senior said. “I need money for going to college. To get that specific scholarship helps and it’s an honor to receive it. You look at the requirements for it and it probably motivated me to be a little more active than I was in the community. It’s part of giving something back.â€

The uniqueness of a foundation that supports the sport of wrestling on the local level, and the circumstances that led to its creation, have in some ways brought the four very competitive programs on the mats closer together off of them.

“I’ve always been close with a couple of wrestlers outside Maryville but I think the foundation has helped create a wrestling community in the county that goes beyond just the guys on your own team,†Solomon said.

The Skyler Boring Foundation is a 501©(3) nonprofit and will begin its fundraisers for 2016 early this summer.

Follow @TDT_Marcus on Twitter for more from sports editor Marcus Fitzsimmons.

As I read the link about Chad Solomon (congrats), it also recalled to my mind Skyler Boring, a colorful vibrant kid cut short.  The Rooster scholarship is a nice tribute to him.  Being reminded by the article though I didnt know him well, I was able to recall him and my oldest son Austins matches and positive interactions through AAU and traveling teams in high school.  A nice reminder!

• Upvote 1

Marsh, I remember The Rooster being a team leader on Heritage... and for us Sommers earned our full respect as he pinned our last 2nd generation wrestler in spladle in his last match if I remember right a couple of years ago.

Glad he continues to inspire the Blount county area!

Last year David Taylor beat a world #11 wrestler fairly handily at this one

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252303-2015-Beat-The-Streets/article/31444-Lineup-set-for-Salsa-in-the-Square#.VVYA1p8o7qC

Lineup set for 'Salsa in the Square'

Willie Saylor on May 13, 2015 

Lineup set for “Salsa in the Square†as Team USA Wrestlers To Face Cuba In Times Square In New York City May 21 Alongside Beat the Streets Gala

Team USA will feature Olympic champion Jordan Burroughs, Olympic medalists Clarissa Chun and Randi Miller and World medalists Tervel Dlagnev, Helen Maroulis, Andy Bisek and Jake Herbert

NEW YORK, May 13, 2015 – Beat the Streets Wrestling, Inc. and USA Wrestling today announced the U.S. lineup and the match pairings for the “Salsa in the Square,†as top competitors for Team USA and the Cuban National Team will compete in a dual meet featuring all three Olympic wrestling styles.

The USA vs. Cuba Dual meet will be held in historic Times Square on Thursday, May 21, this time back in the Duffy Square location at 46th Street in Manhattan. It is one of the most impressive and iconic settings in the history of Olympic wrestling.

Salsa in the Square will be streamed live on FloWrestling here.

This will be the first time that a dual meet between a U.S. team and a Cuban team in an Olympic sport will take place in the United States since the historic change in USA and Cuban political relations earlier this year. It is also the first time that a Cuban wrestling team will compete in New York City in a dozen years, since the successful 2003 World Freestyle Wrestling Championships were held at Madison Square Garden.

The American team announced today is loaded with talent. Included on the U.S. roster is 2012 Olympic champion and two-time World champion Jordan Burroughs at 74 kg in men’s freestyle.

A pair of Olympic medalists will compete in women’s freestyle, 2012 Olympic bronze medalist Clarissa Chun at 48 kg and 2008 Olympic medalist Randi Miller at 69 kg. Chun was also a World champion in 2012.

The U.S. team also includes a pair of two-time World medalists, Tervel Dlagnev at 125 kg in men’s freestyle and Helen Maroulis at 55 kg in women’s freestyle. Dlagnev won World bronze medals in 2009 and 2014. Maroulis was a World silver medalist in 2012 and a World bronze medalist in 2014.

Other World medalists on the American roster include Andy Bisek at 74 kg in Greco-Roman and Jake Herbert at 84 kg in men’s freestyle.

Four of the athletes on Team USA have won the Dan Hodge Trophy as the nation’s top college wrestler: Jordan Burroughs, Jake Herbert, Brent Metcalf at 66 kg and David Taylor at 74 kg. Taylor won the Hodge Trophy twice.

Combined, the USA team accounts for a combined 17 NCAA titles, including two-time champions Brent Metcalf (Iowa), David Taylor (Penn State), Jordan Burroughs (Nebraska), Jake Herbert (Northwestern) and Tervel Dlagnev (Nebraska-Kearney), along with NCAA champion Tony Ramos (Iowa).

Among the NCAA champions in the event are two top current stars. There is a special challenge match between the reigning NCAA Div. I national champion Alex Dieringer of Oklahoma State and reigning NCAA Div. II national champion Joey Davis of Notre Dame College. Dieringer is a two-time NCAA champion. Davis is a three-time NCAA champion, and has not yet lost a college wrestling match.

The event also features a four-time WCWA women’s college national champion, Helen Maroulis, who won her titles for Simon Fraser (3x) and Missouri Baptist (1x).

One of the women’s matches will feature a New York City native and a product of the Beat the Streets program, who is currently a star on the college level, Rosemary Flores at 60 kg. Flores competed for Curtis High School on Staten Island, and wrestled in Times Square during the Beat the Streets youth matches while she was in high school. She attends Campbellsville University, where she is a two-time All-American, placing third in the 2014 WCWA Women’s College Nationals and fourth in the 2015 WCWA Nationals.

The U.S. lineup features nine athletes who won 2015 U.S. Open national titles in Las Vegas this past weekend: Ramos, Metcalf, Taylor, Herbert, Dlagnev and Maroulis, plus Greco-Roman champions Spenser Mango at 59 kg and Andy Bisek at 75 kg, plus freestyle champion Kyle Snyder at 97 kg.

The Cuban Wrestling Federation has announced its lineup of stars last week. The Cuban team features four past medalists in men’s freestyle: 2012 Olympic bronze medalist and three-time World medalist Livan Lopez Azcuy at 74 kg in men’s freestyle, three-time World medalist Reineris Salas Perez at 86 kg, plus 2014 World bronze medalist Yowlys Bonne Rodriguez at 57 kg and Javier Cortina Lacerra at 97 kg. The women’s freestyle and Greco-Roman athletes are a mix of veteran stars and exciting young talents. Combined, the team has won 11 Pan American individual gold medals and four Junior World medals.

USA Wrestling will be publishing detailed previews of each of the USA vs. Cuba matchups, including in depth biographies, on its website TheMat.com in the upcoming week.

Top Beat the Streets middle school and high school students will take the mat showcasing their skills in exhibition matches beginning at 3:45 pm to start the evening. The Beat the Streets youth match pairings will also be announced shortly.

The USA vs. the World dual requires a ticket for reserved seating in Times Square, but is an outdoor event. Pedestrians and non-ticket holders are encouraged to watch. Admission tickets may be bought in advance at www.btsny.org or 212.245.6570. A ticket is required for the Gala. More details are available at http://www.btsny.org/gala

The Gala Celebration will follow the wrestling competition at Best Buy Theater. This unique and electrifying annual event helps Beat the Streets(BTS) raise significant funds to further its mission. Whether it’s providing a safe, constructive outlet for our urban youth, fighting childhood obesity, empowering women, or uniting entire nations, wrestling teaches persistence, dedication, and the value of working hard to achieve one’s goals, creates opportunities for personal and universal growth. BTS currently serve over 3,000 student-athletes every year.

Overall, this unique and electrifying annual event helps raise significant funds to further BTS’ mission to develop the full human and athletic potential of the urban youth and the strengthen the culture of New York City wrestling.

The event will be broadcast on two national television networks. Universal Sports Network will air a same-day 90-minute show on Thursday, May 22 at 12:30 a.m. Eastern Time. NBC Sports Network will broadcast its 90-minute show on Wednesday, May 27 at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time. All of the matches from Times Square will also be webcast live by Flosports.

The world-class competition has been hosted in Times Square three previous times. In 2011, the United States defeated World champion Russia, 5-2, the first sports event ever held in historic Times Square. In 2012, another U.S. vs. Russia dual meet was held in Times Square, along with the U.S. Olympic Team Wrestle-off for the 60 kg/132 lbs. position on the U.S. Olympic Team in men’s freestyle. In 2014, the USA defeated a World All-Star Team in Times Square, 8-3.

This will be the sixth straight year in which a major international-style wrestling competition will be hosted as part of the Beat the Streets Gala activities. In 2010, an all-star challenge featuring top U.S. wrestlers was held on the USS Intrepid, an aircraft carrier docked on the west side of Manhattan. In 2013, the event was hosted in historic Grand Central Terminal. Dubbed “The Rumble on the Rails,†it featured dual meets between Team USA, Russia and Iran and was an important part of the international Keep Olympic Wrestling effort, which resulted in wrestling retaining its status on the Olympic Games program.

SALSA IN THE SQUARE, USA VS. CUBA DUAL PAIRINGS

Men’s freestyle

57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Tony Ramos (USA) vs. Yowlys Bonne Rodriguez (Cuba)

65 kg/143 lbs. – Brent Metcalf (USA) vs. Franklin Maren Castillo (Cuba)

74 kg/163 lbs. – Jordan Burroughs (USA) vs. Luis Esteban Quintana Martinez (Cuba)

74 kg/163 lbs. – David Taylor (USA) vs. Livan Lopez Azcuy (Cuba)

86 kg/189 lbs. – Jake Herbert (USA) vs. Reineris Salas Perez (Cuba)

97 kg/213 lbs. – Kyle Snyder (USA) vs. Javier Cortina Lacerra (Cuba)

125 kg/275 lbs. – Tervel Dlagnev (USA) vs. Andres Ramos Dinza (Cuba)

Women’s freestyle

48 kg/105.5 lbs. – Clarissa Chun (USA) vs. Yusneylis Guzman Lopez (Cuba)

55 kg/121 lbs. – Helen Maroulis (USA) vs. Yamilka del Valle Alvarez (Cuba)

60 kg/132 lbs. – Rosemary Flores (USA) vs. Yekelin Stornell Elastigue (Cuba)

69 kg/152 lbs. – Randi Miller (USA) vs. Yudari Sanchez Rodriguez (Cuba)

Greco-Roman

59 kg/130 lbs. – Spenser Mango (USA) vs. Maykel Anache Lamout (Cuba)

75 kg/165 lbs. – Andy Bisek (USA) vs. Yurisandi Hernandez Rios (Cuba)

Special Challenge Match

NCAA Div. I champion Alex Dieringer (Oklahoma State) vs. NCAA Div. II champion Joey Davis (Notre Dame College)

“Salsa In The Square,†Beat The Streets Wrestling Schedule

At New York, May 21, 2015

3:45 p.m. – Beat the Streets Exhibition Matches in Duffy Square at 46th Street

5:45 p.m. – World Class Wrestling: Team USA vs. Team Cuba at 46th Street

7:30 p.m. – Gala Celebration at Best Buy Theater at 1515 Broadway

About Beat The Streets

The mission of Beat the Streets is to develop the full human and athletic potential of the urban youth and to strengthen the culture of New York City wrestling. BTSW works directly with the New York City Department of Education in a public-private partnership to help New York City's student-athletes achieve their personal and athletic goals. Through the operation of wrestling programs in middle and high schools in the five boroughs, BTSW and the DOE provide a safe, positive atmosphere in which disadvantaged and at-risk youth can learn the essential life skills of physical fitness, teamwork, and self-empowerment. The goal of fostering strong, dedicated, and optimistic kids is delivered through coaching, after-school programs, and mentoring. More information can be found at www.btsny.org.

About USA Wrestling

USA Wrestling is the National Governing Body for the Sport of Wrestling in the United States and, as such, is its representative to the United States Olympic Committee and United World Wrestling, the international wrestling federation. Simply, USA Wrestling is the central organization that coordinates amateur wrestling programs in the nation and works to create interest and participation in these programs. It has over 220,000 members across the nation, boys and girls, men and women of all ages, representing all levels of the sport. Its president is James Ravannack, and its Executive Director is Rich Bender. More information can be found at TheMat.com

Joe Favorito, 917-566-8345 JF; FatherKnickerbocker1@yahoo.com

Gary Abbott, USA Wrestling, 719-659-9637, GAbbott@USAWrestling.org

Ramos, Taylor, and Herbert has a test.

CHALLENGE MATCH: Dieringer vs Davis is the one I wanna see...

D1 stud VS D2 never beaten

Another nice write up on Solomon and Skylar...

http://wate.com/2015/05/14/maryville-high-senior-wins-scholarship-honoring-teen-killed-in-shooting/

Maryville High senior wins scholarship honoring teen killed in shooting

Snapshot of one of the most successful Knoxville wrestlers since Chris "The Animal" Vandergriff of Halls '77-78?...

By Laura Halm, WATE 6 On Your Side ReporterPublished: May 14, 2015, 7:36 pm

1Click to share on Twitter 

Click to share on Google+ 15Share on Facebook Click to share on Pinterest

Related Coverage

Maryville wrestling tournament held in honor of Heritage High School Graduate

MARYVILLE (WATE) – A Maryville High School senior was awarded a scholarship Wednesday night in memory of a local teen who was killed in an accidental shooting.

Skyler Boring, then 17, was killed in an apparent accidental shooting back in 2013. Every year since then, his family has raised money in his memory to help send a Blount County high school wrestler to college.

Previous Story: Maryville wrestling tournament held in honor of Heritage High School Graduate.

That honor went Wednesday night to Chad Solomon, a senior at Maryville High School.

Chad Solomon

“For them to do this, to create this scholarship, means so much to me obviously but for any Blount County wrestler. I mean they don’t have to do this and I know they’re doing this for Skyler in his memory but it’s so generous for them to want to help other wrestlers as well,†said Solomon.

Chad has a 3.55 GPA and credits wrestling with helping him become the man he is today.

In case anyone followed KY wrestling, here's Cincinnati NP Coverage including the best from Campbell Co...

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2015/05/16/winter-all-stars-kentucky-wrestling/27445765/

Login

SPORTS

Winter All Stars - Kentucky wrestling

Enquirer preps, prepsports@enquirer.com10 hours agoFacebookTwitterGoogle Plusmore

James Weber/Community Recorder

Campbell County senior Austin Myers smiles after winning his semifinal match in just nine seconds. KHSAA State wrestling semifinals, March 11, 2015, Alltech Arena, Lexington KY

Here's a look at the 2015 Enquirer Media Winter All Star picks for the high school wrestling players of the year, coaches of the year and the all-city teams for the Kentucky daily and weekly editions. Where available, the all-city teams came from the coaches association lists. Many thanks to our sponsor, Tri-Health.

Cincinnati Enquirer

Player of the Year - Austin Myers, Campbell County: The 220-pound senior earned a fourth consecutive unbeaten state championship, finishing 60-0 and pushing his career record to 182-0. He went 5-0 at state with two pins in 12 seconds or less. Another opponent was pinned in the second round. He beat his second-ranked quarterfinal opponent, 16-0. He won 15-4 in the final over Brandon Reed of Iroquois. Myers, heading to West Virginia on a wrestling scholarship, is a national champion. He won his third national title in the 220-pound weight class at the National High School Wrestling Championships in March.

Coach of the Year - Mike Bankemper, Campbell County: Led his alma mater to a fourth consecutive regional championship, his 18th overall, and a third straight top-4 finish at the state meet. The Camels had 10 placers and finished fourth at state, just 28 points out of first. They were state runners-up the previous two seasons. Won his 26th Northern Kentucky Athletic Conference championship with an eighth straight title. Crowned four regional champions, one state champ and two state runners-up. Guided the Camels to a repeat Kentucky Wrestling Coaches Association big-school duals qualifier crown and placed third at state. At one point, Camels had 12 of a possible 14 wrestlers ranked in the state's top-25, eight in the top 10. Moved past 750 career dual wins.

First team

106 pounds – Tanner Yenter, Campbell County: The sophomore won the regional title, was state runner-up, finished 48-10.

113 – Ryan Moore, Walton-Verona: The freshman won the regional title, was third at state, finished 44-7.

120 – Cody Huston, Cooper: The sophomore won the regional title, lost in state championship bracket quarterfinals, finished 36-3.

126 – Logan Erdman, Ryle: He won the state championship at 126 pounds in dominating fashion, beating Moore's Bobby Poynter in the final, 15-0. He was not challenged in eight postseason matches en route to winning the regional and state titles, and he finished 48-4 for the season.

132 – Mason Smith, Walton-Verona: The freshman won the regional title, was third at state, finished 48-10.

138 – Bryan Spahr, Campbell County: The sophomore won the regional title, was seventh at state, finished 39-9.

145 – Tony Ashford, Scott: The senior won the regional title, was third at state, finished 47-3.

152 – Jon Belk, Ryle: The senior won the regional title, was fifth at state, finished 59-9.

160 - Johnny Meiman, Ryle: He won the state championship at 160 pounds, beating St. Xavier's Nathan Haddad 4-2 in the championship match. Meiman finished 60-4. He easily won the Region 6 title at 160 then cruised through his first two matches at the state meet before toughing out low-scoring decisions in his final three matches.

170 – Ryan Woolf, Ryle: The senior won the regional title, was third at state, finished 63-13.

182 – Casey Cornett, Simon Kenton: The sophomore was regional runner-up, third at state, finished 53-10.

195 – Elijah Miller, Simon Kenton: The Pioneer standout finished second in the state at 195 pounds, suffering a tough 3-2 loss in the state final. He finished 49-3 for the season after cruising to the regional championship at 195.

220 – Austin Myers, Campbell County:The Camel senior completed one of the most dominant careers in Kentucky wrestling history, going a perfect 189-0 against in-state opponents. He won his fourth state championship at 220 pounds, beating Brandon Reed of Iroquois 15-4 in the state final. He also had three falls and a 16-0 win in the tourney. He finished 60-0 for the season and was rarely scored upon by an opponent's offensive move. Myers has had numerous impressive performances against national competition and will wrestle for West Virginia University of the Big 12 Conference next season.

285 – Branden Johnson, Dixie Heights:Although he only wrestled a partial season, he made it count, winning his second-straight state championship in the 285-pound division. He pinned Landin Jones of North Oldham in the final match, ending it in just 46 seconds. He won the Most Pins in Least Time award for the second year in a row, winning all five of his state matches in 6 minutes, 16 seconds. He finished 17-0 and will play football for Austin Peay