Inspiring for coaches and wrestlers...

Sommers

The Future of Wrestling The Hill is Bright!

In case you missed it...

Science Hill is Looking at Reloading Soon...

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/article/123750/on-the-rise-big-year-for-liberty-bell-wrestlers

On the rise: Big year for Liberty Bell wrestlers

January 21st, 2015 8:21 pm by DOUGLAS FRITZ

Science Hill’s wrestling program seems to be sprouting some pretty strong roots at the middle school level.

Liberty Bell recently wrapped up a 16-1 overall season, and finished 7-0 in the Middle Eight Conference. The Patriots defeated T.A. Dugger 72-12 and Happy Valley 84-0 to cap the unbeaten league campaign.

Head coach Bill McKinney said the future looks bright for the Hilltoppers thanks to a strong eighth-grade class that could produce some quick results at the varsity level next season.

“We’ve got some really strong seventh graders as well,†said McKinney, who was Science Hill’s head wrestling coach back in the late 1980s through the mid 1990s. “Once they get another year of experience and learn things they do at the high school, they’ve got a chance in a couple of years to be really good.

“Next year’s Science Hill team will be fairly young, but (coach) Jimmy (Miller) does a great job. In wrestling, experience is really important. Once we get these kids up there, they’ve got a chance to be pretty tough.â€

Among the wrestlers who could make a quick impact for the Hilltoppers is Chase Diehl, who McKinney said can wrestle anywhere from 131 to 151 pounds.

“He did whatever we needed,†said McKinney. “He’s got a good background, and has been wrestling for about five years now. He’s very good technically, and a strong kid as well.â€

McKinney also said 99-pounder Braeden Coffey is a threat.

“He’s in his first year of wrestling, but athletically he’s just blessed,†said McKinney. “He has things you can’t teach: great balance, good hips, things you’ve got to have in wrestling.â€

Another standout is Brett Boyer (185 to 220), who was also the quarterback for the football team.

Liberty Bell’s lone loss came in a tournament against Cleveland, which McKinney said was the No. 1 middle school program in the state.

“They have a great club program that feeds the middle school,†said McKinney. “We decided this year to try to take a trip to see where we stacked up with the strong southeast Tennessee teams. We did pretty well. We beat Baylor, Soddy Daisy and Bradley Central.â€

On the individual conference champion list for Science Hill this season were Tyler Seeley (83 pounds, 7th grade), Tre Horton (131), Nick Lane (141, 7th grade), Diehl (151) and Ahmik Watterson (165). Runner-up finishes were posted by Tony Smith (76, 7th grade), Sean Hayes (106), Kaden Weir (113), Storm Hughes (125, 7th grade) and Steven Grant (225).

Junior-varsity individual champs were seventh-graders Eli France, Kain Rogers, Andrew Taylor and eighth-grader Alex Hise.

Why?

http://touch.mcall.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-82597484/

Northampton High School's 1992-93 wrestling team cemented its place in history

Former Northampton High School wrestling coach Don Rohn encourages Frank Mazzochi during a dual meet with Easton in 1993.

Tom Housenick, Of The Morning Call

7:16 pm, January 21, 2015

Mike Tomsic ran in a fit of rage over to coach Don Rohn during a break from Northampton's workout with Conestoga prior to the 1993 postseason.

Conestoga's Jason LaMotta was having his way with the Northampton 112-pounder, and enjoying it a little too much in Tomsic's eyes.

"[Tomsic] said, 'Just let me freakin' choke him,'" Rohn recalled.

Tomsic was referring to the move made famous by Rohn called the cement job. Rohn warned Tomsic and all of his Konkrete Kids not to show that move during this scrimmage because "you never know who you are going to meet down the road."

Tomsic's road ended in March 1993 against LaMotta in the PIAA Class 3A championship bout.

LaMotta charged at Tomsic almost immediately with an outside head and starting running him. With one swift move, Tomsic hit LaMotta with a cement job. In 45 seconds, the Northampton wrestler was a state champion.

"That was the beginning of our reign in Northampton," Rohn said.

The 1992-93 season marked the first of four times the Konkrete Kids were named the No. 1 team in the country by USA Today and Center Mat Magazine. It was the first of their three consecutive District 11 Class 3A team titles. And, it opened the national wrestling stage for Rohn's cement job series.

That Northampton wrestling team will be honored at 6:30 Thursday night in Pete Schneider Gymnasium as members of the school's sports hall of fame. Mary O'Brien Fromhartz, Beth Marushak Bersticker, Keith Newhard, Bob Oplinger, Steve Pritko and Mike Schneider are the other inductees.

The Konkrete Kids were kings during wrestling's heyday in the Lehigh Valley. Big regular-season dual meets were moved to the area's biggest gyms to accommodate the overflow crowds.

Northeast Regional 3A tournaments were nothing more than District 11 home matches at Liberty High School as Nazareth and Easton also were perennial powers getting national recognition.

Northampton beat them both in 1993 to secure its first district team title.

Rohn's 1993 club was a team in every sense of the word, said heavyweight Jason Grim, who was Rohn's offseason workout partner and a hero in a big regular-season match against Nazareth.

"We were all one back then," said Grim, now the head coach at Pen Argyl. "We hung out as a group at Mario's Pizza. It was a tough, rugged, blue-collar town. We fit right into that."

That wrestling climate was years in the making.

Rohn was a three-time district champion and two-time state champion at Hellertown/Saucon Valley in the early 1970s before becoming a four-time PSAC champion and national titlist as a freshman at Clarion University.

Using determination and will as much as talent, Rohn's passion for the sport was fueled by coaches Charlie Bartolet at Saucon Valley/Hellertown and Bob Bubb at Clarion.

"Charlie probably made me the tenacious type of person I am," Rohn said. "You had to be afraid of your coach back then. Coach Bubb helped me make the right choices.

"I went to college to wrestle. He kept me on the right path my first two years of college."

Rohn, who said the only way he could pin kids in college was using the original cement job, passed on a chance to be a graduate assistant at North Carolina State after finishing at Clarion. Instead, he chose to get married and take a teaching/coaching job at Hazleton High.

Hazleton was not a wrestling hotbed. It didn't have the facilities, but it had a booster club willing to help Rohn build a respectable program.

Long a proponent of weightlifting as a necessity for wrestling training, Rohn took all he learned from his high school and college days along with his fierce demands to Hazleton.

That no-nonsense style was challenged during his second season there. Hazleton's best wrestler showed up late for practice on a snowy day.

Rohn asked him why he was late. The senior shouted an expletive at him. Rohn immediately booted him from the team. He made no exceptions for his strict rules.

The wrestler's parents took the matter to the school board. Rohn, who was joined by the rest of Hazleton wrestling team at the meeting, had a simple message for board members.

"If you let him back on the team, I'm done," he said. "If I have to let someone say that to me, I'm done."

Three years later in 1982, Rohn left Hazleton, which was in the midst of a teachers' strike. He jumped at the opening at Northampton.

With better facilities and better numbers, Northampton needed about three years before Rohn had the program among the region's best.

In the late 1980s, Seth Lisa began attending Rohn's wrestling clinics at Saucon Valley. He remembered learning about the cement job series as a first-grader in the Saucon school district.

Lisa also remembers Rohn's intensity.

"He wanted the best 6- and 7-year-olds paired up," Lisa said. "He wanted the competition. He was an intimidating, scary man and one of the best motivators I ever had."

Lisa, who attended those high-profile matches as a pre-teen in the early 1990s, moved from the Saucon Valley School District to Northampton in fifth grade.

Four years later, Rohn was his high school coach. Lisa was 152-22 as a Konkrete Kid with three district titles and three PIAA medals. He later was a two-time national qualifier at West Virginia University.

During the 1992-93 season, Tomsic was part of a physically strong, mentally tough lineup that also included Frank Mazzocchi, Steve Gaugler, Craig Fenstermaker and Grim.

Grim was the hero in Northampton's regular-season 26-23 win over Nazareth, then got revenge on Easton's Joey Jones to complete the district team title and the Konkrete Kids' 24-0 record.

Northampton gained national notoriety earlier that season by romping through the prestigious Virginia Duals, thanks in large part to the cement job.

It was that series taught by Rohn and his bulldog approach to the sport he loved since he was a young boy that put the spotlight on Northampton.

In a sport built on individual matchups, Rohn had several teams that one could argue was the best. The 61-year-old said the competitors from those clubs keep the debate alive.

"I'm not saying we were the best team in the country [in 1993 or any of the other years they were national champions]," he said. "But they thought they were. They were a special breed."

Time has changed, but Rohn hasn't. He brought that same toughness as an assistant coach now at his alma mater, Colonial League power Saucon Valley. He and his son, Tommy, a prominent member of the 2000 Northampton squad, work together for head coach Chad Shirk.

"It's really neat and something that's important to me," Rohn said of working with his son.

For Grim and Lisa, it is crucial that they keep some of what Rohn taught them.

Grim picks his spots to use a tough-love approach, though he is limited by numbers problems.

Lisa, now is in his fourth season as Northampton's coach, believes that maintaining the rules he set forth are most important.

"When I first started coaching, I felt I could turn anything around," he said. "As a coach, you want to win. But, accountability, respect and sportsmanship are more important than going 15-0."

Rohn stepped down as Northampton's head coach in 2000, and spent the next 11 years as Terry Daubert's assistant before retiring from coaching and teaching in 2011.

He was 392-75 during his stints at Hazleton and Northampton, having coached 53 district champions and eight PIAA winners and won six PIAA Class 3A team titles.

Rohn, who still works out every day, opens his basement to any kid in the Saucon Valley program who wants to lift weights. He struggles to remember the years and teams, and he has no idea about his accolades as a coach.

"Honestly, I don't care about coaching wins or coaching credentials," he said. "I'm not doing it for that aspect.

"I like coaching. I like kids. If there's anything close to the 1970s, it's in the wrestling room. I don't let up on them because it's 2015."

thousenick@mcall.com

Twitter @TomHousenick

610-820-6651

CEMENTING THEIR PLACE IN HISTORY

The 1992-93 Northampton wrestling team finished 24-0 and was named national champion. Tonight that team is being honored with induction into the school's sports hall of fame.

A few of you may appreciate...

WVU's Sammie Henson Inducted into National Wrestling HOF

Posted: Jun 06, 2015 9:09 PM CDTUpdated: Jun 06, 2015 9:09 PM CDT

Posted by WVU Sports Communications

STILLWATER, Okla. -West Virginia University wrestling coach Sammie Henson was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame as a Distinguished Member of the Class of 2015 in Stillwater, Oklahoma, on Saturdayevening.

Distinguished Members are selected based on their achievement of extraordinary success in national and/or international competition as a wrestler. They can also earn the honor by compiling an outstanding record as a coach, as well has contributing to substantial enhancement of the sport or advancement of the sport.

“I am so excited to share this moment with all of the people who have helped me throughout my life,†said Henson. “You only reach a place like this with hard work and an unbelievable support group. None of this would have been possible without my mom, my dad, my brother Chuck, my wife Stephanie and my four kids.  I am truly blessed to share this honor with everyone.â€

Honorees at the event included Distinguished Members Frank Bettucci, Joe Gonzales, and Greg Johnson, as well as Outstanding American Mike Golic, Order of Merit recipient Dr. David “Doc†Bennett, Medal of Courage recipient Mike Powell and Lifetime Achievement for an Official Kenny Ritchie.

Henson boasts impressive wins at the collegiate, national and international level on his resume. The St. Charles, Missouri, native won a Big Eight title and All-America honors as a freshman at Missouri before transferring to Clemson, where he went on to post a 71-0 record on his way to a pair of national titles. The 1994 ACC Wrestler of the Year and 1994 Clemson Male Athlete of the Year, Henson was later inducted in the Clemson Athletics Hall of Fame. 

Following his standout collegiate career, Henson won gold at the 1998 World Championships before claiming the John Smith U.S.A Wrestler of the Year award. He added a silver medal at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia, and won a bronze medal at the 2006 World Championships at age 35. He ended his career with more than 15 freestyle titles at the international level.

Henson started his coaching career in 1997 at Oklahoma and has coached several of the top wrestling programs in the country, including Penn State, Nebraska and Missouri. He has produced an All-American in every season of his coaching career in addition to five NCAA National Champions.

Named the eighth head coach in West Virginia program history in May of 2014, Henson led WVU to its best-ever point total at the Big 12 Championships as well as a pair of wins over ranked opponents in his first season. Under his tutelage, upstart freshman Zeke Moisey pulled off four consecutive upsets, including a pin of No. 6 Thomas Gilman in the semifinals, to become the first Mountaineer to wrestle for a national title since 2005. Moisey became WVU's first All-American since 2007 and was the first unseeded wrestler the make the NCAA finals since 2003.

Henson also is the head coach of Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club, which has produced more World Team and Olympic Team wrestlers than any other club in the country. Henson recently started the Mountaineer Regional Training Center, attracting wrestlers from around the nation to train in Morgantown.

http://www.wvillustrated.com/story/29257539/wvus-sammie-henson-inducted-into-national-wrestling-hof

• 3 weeks later...

State Qualifier Aaron Watson moved on...

http://www.knoxfocus.com/2015/06/clinton-honoree-will-pursue-career-air-force/

Clinton honoree will pursue a career in Air Force

Aaron Watson, Clinton High’s male Student-Athlete of the Year, runs for yardage against Karns. Watson also was a standout in wrestling.

By Steve Williams

The leadership Aaron Watson displayed in football at Clinton High School may very well carry over to his next challenge in life.

Clinton’s male Student-Athlete of the Year, a two-time All-District 3-AAA performer and team captain as a senior, will soon be joining the Air Force.

“The biggest reason I’m joining is because I’ve grown up around it and my dad (Jeff Watson) just retired from the Air Force three years ago,†stated Watson via e-mail last week. “I’ve just grown up around it and going into the military is just another day for me.

“I’m going to try to serve a full 20 years. Seeing all the benefits and what you can do with the Air Force is just an awesome experience.â€

In preparation for a military career, Watson took four semesters of Air Force Junior ROTC at Clinton. On Senior Awards Night, he received the Marine Athletic Award.

“It was an awesome honor to get,†noted Watson, who had a 3.5 grade point average.

On the field, Watson, a running back and linebacker, totaled 1,048 all-purpose yards with eight touchdowns as a senior and had 45 tackles on defense. He earned the Dragon Award.

Watson also stood out in wrestling as Clinton started a program two years ago. Wrestling in the 182-pound weight class, he placed third in the region and qualified for the state tournament his senior year.

Watson didn’t set his sights on being a college athlete.

“I never made a highlight tape or anything,†he pointed out. “It’s nothing like anyone was pushing me away from the idea, it was just that ever since I was 7 years old, I’ve known what I wanted to do and that was serve in the Air Force just like my father.

“But don’t get me wrong – I would’ve loved to play football or wrestle in college, but I just loved leading and having a great time with my friends in high school.â€

The next step in the enlistment process will be going to MEPS (military entrance processing station) and swearing in and undergoing a physical.

“As of right now, that date is July 8,†added Watson. “I’m just so thankful for everything God has blessed me with – my friends and coaches that have pushed me to be the best I can be, and my family for all the support they have given me.â€

One of East Ridge's and Ga's Best returning to coach LFO...

http://m.northwestgeorgianews.com/mobile/prep_central/high_school/schools/lfo/wrestling-hill-returns-to-wrestling-roots-at-lfo/article_1833a848-1ff9-11e5-b987-7f209d41446a.html

Wrestling: Hill returns to wrestling roots at LFO

Misty Martin | Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2015 9:57 am

Four-time state wrestling champion Kenny Hill said, "It's good to be back at home."

The former Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe three-time Georgia champion, who crossed the state line to East Ridge High to win his fourth, said he was already slated to lead the Coahulla Creek wrestling team after one year on the staff. However, he said fate had other plans when new LFO head football coach Bo Campbell and softball coach Tony Ellis planted a seed of hope. 

Hill is now preparing for his return as the Warriors' wrestling coach on the mat where he began his coaching career in 2003.

"I'm excited to be back at my alma mater and where it all started," Hill said. "It all happened over the course of about three weeks after running into Coach Campbell. He told me they would like to have me there. I saw Tony Ellis after he was reinstated as the softball coach and he mentioned how great it would be to have me back at LFO. We weren't sure about teaching spots, but I decided to put in an application."

Hill said the move has been "bittersweet."

"It feels good to be coming back to a school where I won three state championships," he said. "The folks at Coahulla Creek and the administration are great people. They've been a lot of fun and I'll miss them."

Hill didn't deny it would be an interesting match facing Heritage where he started the school's wrestling program before resigning in 2012 (???) after winning the Class AAA state championship. He said his main focus was "rebuilding" at LFO and "getting back to a winning tradition."

"We know the first thing we’re going to have to do is start a recreation league," he said. "The kids also say they haven't had a home match in two years. I've already scheduled three matches at home."

Hill said he was fully aware he was starting from the ground up and was prepared for the challenge.

"I welcome the challenge," he said. "I started the new program at Heritage so I know about building a program. There’s already some good high school wrestlers coming back this year. We just have to start working on the middle school program."

Hill said he knew winning would take time again at LFO and there would be no "quick fixes."

"It’s going to take more than one year," he said. "It’s going to take work and I’m happy to get to do that."

Hill said he already had 15 matches on the schedule by December.

"I think we can get them going and get back on the board," he said. "We'll get them going in the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...

The south retains some top talent along with Bullards, Debean, Kennedy, Soloman, Murphy, and others

Way to go UTC, No. Carolina State and Va...

http://m.gwinnettdailypost.com/news/2015/jul/16/archer-wrestler-chris-diaz-commits-to-nc-state/?templates=mobile

Archer wrestler Chris Diaz commits to N.C. State

Story by From staff reports

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Archer’s Chris Diaz made a commitment Thursday to the N.C. State wrestling program, becoming the third member of the Tigers’ rising senior class to commit to the Wolfpack.

Diaz joins brothers Thomas and Daniel Bullard, who recently chose N.C. State.

As a junior, Diaz went 57-3 and won the Class AAAAAA state championship in the 132-pound division. He also was national runner-up at 132 earlier this year in the National High School Coaches Association High School Nationals in Virginia Beach

• Upvote 1

This True Soph is Not Holding Back...

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/07/19/0719-wrestling.html

Ohio State wrestler Kyle Snyder turned in a dominating day at the Pan-Am Games in Toronto, winning three matches by technical fall, including 10-0 over Canada’s Arjun Gill in the title match at 213 pounds.

Snyder, who was a Big Ten and NCAA runner-up as a freshman for the Buckeyes last season, won by 11-1 and 10-0 scores to reach the final.

Sad sad story, but wrestling and the Brotherhood that results leads to at least one military replacement inspired by our great sport and his jumping in and showing patriotism...

A fine young man from Red Bank High School!

Kudos to coach Emily who is now at a former powerhouse in Iowa and to coach Varnell who is now up with Ben Smith at another rejuvenated powerhouse in Bradley County...

The 19 year old always wanted to serve in the military but his decision became clear when he learned of the attacks in his hometown.

“As soon as I saw it, it made my blood boil. It hits too close to home, 10 minutes from my house,†he added.

The shock grew deeper when brown learned who was responsible, a former teammate, 24 year old Muhommad Abdulazeez.

“Oh my God, I know that guy,†he said.

Brown says he went to Red Bank High School with the shooter where they were both on the wrestling team. Brown remembers Abdulazeez as a great wrestler.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/29621848/local-man-enlists-after-chattanooga-shooting

• 2 weeks later...

Way to go Nick...

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/08/01/riverdales-nick-boykin-makes-state-wrestling-history/31004917/

Riverdale’s Nick Boykin makes state wrestling history

Tom Kreager, tkreager@dnj.com4 days agoFacebookTwitterGoogle Plusmore

HELEN COMER/DNJ

Riverdale wrestler Nick Boykin, holds up the two national championships that he won in Fargo, N.D. The championships were for Greco-Roman and freestyle.

MURFREESBORO – Nick Boykin spent his summer vacation in Fargo, North Dakota, as his family went to the beach.

The Riverdale junior two-sport athlete wouldn’t change that decision after two national wrestling titles and an invitation to move to Colorado and train with Team USA.

Boykin, 16, recently won the 2015 Cadet National Championships in both Greco-Roman and freestyle at 265 pounds in his first year competing in nationals. He is the first from Tennessee to win both in the same year.

His two national titles come after winning a TSSAA Class AAA state championship at 285 pounds.

“A bunch of opportunities have come up,†said Boykin, who is also a two-way football player. “Navy has wanted me to come up whenever my brother (Scottie) wrestles up there (for UT-Chattanooga). West Virginia spoke to me. But the biggest is the training facility in Colorado.â€

Boykin has been approached by Team USA to move to Colorado to train full time.

It’s an offer Boykin has weighed heavily, but he currently is leaning toward finishing out school at Riverdale before possibly training in Colorado full time, and then attend college later. However, he said he currently plans on going to the training facility for a couple of days after the football season to see what it is like.

“Football would be the thing I would miss the most,†said Boykin, who didn’t lose a match while in Fargo.

Boykin opened the week with two days of Greco-Roman wrestling. Greco-Roman wrestling is “all just throws and all upper body stuff†Boykin said. Freestyle is similar to high school.

“Once you win that first tournament, people start following you,†Boykin said.

Boykin’s two national titles came in his first appearance.

“I wanted to do it last year, but I went to visit my family in South Carolina instead,†Boykin said. “I really wanted to go because I hear there are a lot of colleges that go there to recruit.â€

Boykin admittedly has a dream of college football. His father Scott Boykin was a standout at MTSU. However, Nick realizes his small height — he’s just 6-foot — is a hindrance for being a college defensive lineman.

“No one has offered me in football,†he said. “I want to wrestle in college, but it’s just hard to get college scholarships.

“But if I do this Olympic thing for a couple years (after high school), they’ll pay for whatever school I want to go to.â€

Reach Tom Kreager at 615-278-5168 and on Twitter @Kreager.

• Upvote 1

Seems like this was released earlier this year, but it appeared in the DNJ again...

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/2015/08/07/dnj-area-wrestling-team/31306

SPORTS

DNJ All-Area Wrestling Team

Tom Kreager, tkreager@dnj.com1 hour agoFacebookTwitterGoogle Plusmore

John A. Gillis/DNJ

Sean Kennedy, right, completed his second straight state title in 2015.

DNJ

All-Area Teams 2015

FIRST TEAM

Gabe Rogers

Stewarts Creek, Sophomore

Weight: 106

Why chosen: Rogers was the Region 5-AAA champion and won two matches in the Class AAA state meet.

John A. Gillis/DNJ

Eagleville's Hayden Hammonds, right, won a state title in 2015.

Hayden Hammonds

Eagleville, Senior

Weight: 113

Why chosen: Hammonds was the Region 3-A/AA champion and won the TSSAA Class A/AA state tournament.

Caleb Garrett

Oakland, Senior

Weight: 120

Why chosen: Garrett was the Region 5-AAA runner-up and won three matches in the Class AAA state tournament

Caden Pennington

Eagleville, Senior

Weight: 126

Why chosen: Pennington was the Region 3-A/AA champion and finished third in the Class A/AA state tournament.

Michael Brobeck

Blackman, Senior

Weight: 132

Why chosen: Brobeck was the Region 5-AAA champion.

Josh Feuerbacher

Blackman, Senior

Weight: 138

Why chosen: Feuerbacher, an MTSU signee, was the Region 5-AAA champion and finished third in the Class AAA state tournament.

Jordan Ligon

Smyrna, Senior

Weight: 145

Why chosen: Ligon was the Region 5-AAA runner-up and won a match in the Class AAA state tournament.

Matthew Sells

Blackman, Sophomore

Weight: 152

Why chosen: Sells was the Region 5-AAA champion and was fourth in the Class AAA state tournament.

Larry McCormack / The Tennessean

Blackman Tyler Garrison, right, completed an undefeated season and won a state title.

Tyler Garrison

Blackman, Senior

Weight: 160

Why chosen: Garrison, a UT-Chattanooga signee, completed an undefeated season, winning the Region 5-AAA title and the Class AAA state title.

Sean Kennedy

Riverdale, Senior

Weight: 170

Why chosen: The Newberry College signee and DNJ Wrestler of the Year won the Region 5-AAA title and Class AAA state title. He had back-to-back undefeated seasons.

Garrett Richards

Oakland, Junior

Weight: 182

Why chosen: Richards was the Region 5-AAA runner-up won one match at the Class AAA state tournament.

Andre Bravo

Blackman, Junior

Weight: 195

Why chosen: Bravo was the Region 5-AAA runner-up won a match in the Class AAA state tournament.

Tyler Barber

Stewarts Creek, Junior

Weight: 220

Why chosen: Barber finished sixth at the Class AAA state tournament after finishing third in the Region 5-AAA tournament.

Nick Boykin

Riverdale, Sophomore

Weight: 285

Why chosen: Boykin was the Region 5-AAA champion and won the Class AAA state tournament. He went undefeated for the season.

SECOND TEAM

106: Tyler Grant, Siegel

113: Dylan Coggins, Stewarts Creek

120: Daniel Winters, Blackman

126: Carson Helton, Stewarts Creek

132: Landon Fowler, Eagleville

138: Christian Salter, Siegel

145: Zac Duncalf, Siegel

152: John Oliveri, Stewarts Creek

160: Dustin Holmes, Siegel

170: Zack Tyner, Oakland

182: John Williams, Siegel

195: Jeremy Price, Siegel

220: Desmond Ballentine, Riverdale

285: Te’juan Henderson, Oakland

COACH OF THE YEAR

Lee Ramsey

Siegel

Why chosen: Ramsey led the Stars to their first Region 5-AAA duals title and first TSSAA Class AAA state duals appearance.

DNJ

Riverdale’s Nick Boykin makes state wrestling history