Inspiring for coaches and wrestlers...

Sommers

Zain Retherford shocked Stieber in a dual meet late last year. That loss was avenged at the Big Ten Championships. He was the third ranked recruit out of high school, had only one loss (again against Stieber) going into the NCAA's and incase you didn't see this until now, watch this 17 yr old Ca high school kid tear him apart recently...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HxXQxbTcBZE

He's a Cadet World Champion, a Junior National Champion, he's beaten Senior level Russians and d1 All Americans. He's only 17 and he already went pro. Wrestlers like Aaron Pico don't come along often, but when they do you make sure to pay attention...

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251617-PICO/video/746180-PICO-Series-Trailer#.U6kKIHMo7qB

Remember nearly one year ago...

http://m.commercialappeal.com/news/2013/jul/20/john-varlas-cbhs-wrestler-elijah-oliver-wins/

Memphis Commercial AppealScripps Media, Inc

JOHN VARLAS: CBHS WRESTLER ELIJAH OLIVER WINS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Published Saturday, July 20, 2013

Elijah Oliver has already established himself as one of the very best wrestlers in the state of Tennessee. Now, he can add some national bragging rights to his résumé.

Oliver, a junior at Christian Brothers, won the 113-pound championship at the USAW Junior Freestyle Nationals in Fargo, N.D., over the weekend.

“This is a big deal,†said CBHS coach Chris Lewis. “This is the biggest tournament in the world.â€

Oliver, a two-time state champion at 113, went undefeated in the tournament and capped a dominating performance with a 12-2 technical fall victory over Illinois wrestler Brian Rossi. He said staying mentally tough throughout a grueling run of matches was the key.

“I felt pretty confident going in; I felt I had been getting better and better,†he said. “I tried to keep my mindset strong, but my mind was kind of playing tricks on me because I was feeling fatigued.

“But I just said, ‘nah, don’t worry about it.’ I wanted to try and just have fun and wrestle. And after the championship match I was like ‘yeah, I finally did it.’ â€

Oliver is the second CBHS wrestler — and the second from Tennessee — to win a national championship. Nick Marable was a Cadet (freshman and sophomore) national champion in 2003.

In addition to putting him among the nation’s best, the victory earned Oliver another nice prize. He will be able to train at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

“I’ll get to train with the best guys in the country,†he said. “That’s going to be a huge plus.â€

To reach John Varlas, call 901-529-2350, or e-mailvarlas@commercialappeal.com.

Scripps Interactive Newspaper Group

©2014 The E.W. Scripps Co.

Privacy Policy

Edited by Sommers
  • Upvote 1

Longtime Hixson High School wrestling coach, athletics director and teacher Roger Vandergriff recently announced his retired after 36 years... A 1974 Hixson graduate, Vandergriff was a member of the 1973 state championship Wildcat team before earning a degree in Biology from Middle Tennessee State in 1978.

“I graduated in the summer of 1978 and two days later I had a teaching job at Soddy Daisy,†Vandergriff stated. “Someone told me early on your career will go by fast and it sure has.â€

Thanks to Vandergriff, current Hixson coach Garrick Hall and three other coaches (Willard Mitchum, Gordon Connell and David Copeland), Hixson has been a solid program statewide for several decades.

“We have had good success with individual state champs and state traditional and state duals titles, but the foundation was built at Hixson Junior High in the late 1960s,†said Vandergriff.

“There was a core of us who started together at Hixson Junior High under coach Rawlin Parker and later would set the tone for Hixson wrestling for years to come as we were part of the state championship team under Gordon Connell,†he said and named teammates including Randy Batten, Tom Popp, Tracy Cook, Stan and Marvin Walden, Dean and Gary Smith and Danny Emery.

Vandergriff points to state championships and medalists as highlights, but more importantly the opportunity of coaching family.

“I had the privilege of coaching my two sons, Lee and Logan, and my nephew Ricky Lanter who I believe is the first Hixson student to graduate from Yale (Lanter earned an MBA at Yale) which is pretty special,†he stated

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2014/6/29/279438/A-Retirement-Toast-to-Coach-Roger-Vandergriff.aspx

Bradley Central High School wrestling head coach Ben Smith has 22 reminders of just how big the Bears’ wrestling family is every time he walks into his office inside the wrestling room at BCHS, where 22 state championship trophies line the walls of the tiny space.

Smith, who is heading into his fourth year as the latest “Papa Bear†of the storied Bradley wrestling family stepped into the Bradley Central family of wrestlers behind legendary coaches Turner Jackson and Steve Logsdon.

Since taking the job, Smith has dedicated himself to maintaining, growing and returning the program to the top of the heap, in the style of his mentors.

“It’s humbling to sit here as the head coach of Bradley wrestling. I never thought I would be here. I knew I wanted to be a wrestling coach and I knew I wanted to be a wrestling coach at Bradley, but with Heath (former BCHS and Cleveland coach Eslinger) and those guys that were in the pipeline ahead of me, I never thought I’d be here. Well, here I am.â€

Read more: Cleveland Daily Banner - Bradley Central wrestling program all about family 

http://www.clevelandbanner.com/view/full_story/25363073/article-Bradley-Central-wrestling-program-all-about--family-?instance=home_sports

Editor’s note: This is the second in a three-part series looking at what it takes to build and maintain a high-quality wrestling program.

• Upvote 1

Once again we have a team or two from the SE highly ranked, with the Bullard brothers and others ranked it keeps a team just east of Stone Mtn Ga in the top ten, in Flo HS rankings...

1 Blair Academy NJ 1

2 Oak Park - River Forest IL 2

3 Clovis CA 3

4 Wyoming Seminary PA 6

5 Apple Valley MN 4

6 Graham OH 5

7 Massillon Perry OH 7

8 Franklin Regional PA 8

9 Archer GA 10

10 Bergen Catholic NJ 9

11 Stillwater OK 12

12 Bethlehem Catholic PA 13