Inspiring for coaches and wrestlers...

Sommers

I had the pleasure of speaking with OSU's John Smith prior to the Taylor/Dake match at the Scuffle, and we discussed this small school product out of Alabama, and he mentioned his lone loss during his Jr year to Blackman's Tyler Sells (who is recovering well from his recent knee surgery btw). He said, I don't want wrestlers who fail to find a way to win, even if they're sick.

I believe Cornell's Koll is feeling good right now about this find...

Wrestling: Scottsboro's Brandon Womack wins national championship

Scottsboro's Brandon Womack, top, tangles with Athens' Jackson Prater at this past season's North Super Sectional in Birmingham. (Mark Almond/malmond@al.com)

By Daniel Boyette | dboyette@al.com

on March 31, 2014 3:25 p.m.

Scottsboro's Brandon Womack capped his stellar high school wrestling career by conquering his one remaining goal.

Alabama's winningest grappler won the senior 160-pound division at the National High School Coaches Association national championships Sunday in Virginia Beach. He claimed the title with an 8-6 overtime victory over Dakota Juarez of Grand Haven (Mich.).

"I went in and wrestled my match instead of trying to adjust and defend what he did," said Womack, a six-time state champion. "I just wrestled my style and made him adjust to me.

"He was very tough. I was comfortable on my feet and confident in my ability in scoring off my feet; that's where I tried to keep it. I pushed the pace."

Womack celebrated by hugging his coaches, then running to hug his parents and family.

"That was pretty awesome," he said.

Womack, who went 77-0 last season, won four matches at nationals to reach the final against Juarez, the Michigan runner-up. After receiving a first-round bye, Womack beat South Carolina runner-up Charlie Conner (11-0), two-time defending Montana state champ Chris Nile (4-2), Oklahoma runner-up Zachry Walton (6-2) and Illinois runner-up Emery Parker (19-15).

Womack previously finished second as a junior and freshman, and third as a sophomore at the national tournament.

"It feels pretty great. That was my goal," said Womack, a Cornell signee. "This was my fourth time. I made it to the finals and I was a little nervous, but I was confident in what I could do. I just went out there and wrestled, and after it was all said and done, I was the first senior national champion ever from Alabama. That in itself was pretty awesome."

Property of AL.COM Alabama Media Group

Edited by Sommers

In three months we will have another shot at more Fargo hardware, and I must ask, how does this championship by grade compare to Super 32?

How many are preparing for these big off season competitions?

Here's the write-up on one of, of not Tennessee's best...

JOHN VARLAS: CBHS WRESTLER ELIJAH OLIVER WINS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Published Saturday, July 20, 2013

Elijah Oliver has already established himself as one of the very best wrestlers in the state of Tennessee. Now, he can add some national bragging rights to his résumé.

Oliver, a junior at Christian Brothers, won the 113-pound championship at the USAW Junior Freestyle Nationals in Fargo, N.D., over the weekend.

“This is a big deal,†said CBHS coach Chris Lewis. “This is the biggest tournament in the world.â€

Oliver, a two-time state champion at 113, went undefeated in the tournament and capped a dominating performance with a 12-2 technical fall victory over Illinois wrestler Brian Rossi. He said staying mentally tough throughout a grueling run of matches was the key.

“I felt pretty confident going in; I felt I had been getting better and better,†he said. “I tried to keep my mindset strong, but my mind was kind of playing tricks on me because I was feeling fatigued.

“But I just said, ‘nah, don’t worry about it.’ I wanted to try and just have fun and wrestle. And after the championship match I was like ‘yeah, I finally did it.’ â€

Oliver is the second CBHS wrestler — and the second from Tennessee — to win a national championship. Nick Marable was a Cadet (freshman and sophomore) national champion in 2003.

In addition to putting him among the nation’s best, the victory earned Oliver another nice prize. He will be able to train at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

“I’ll get to train with the best guys in the country,†he said. “That’s going to be a huge plus.â€

To reach John Varlas, call 901-529-2350, or e-mail varlas@commercialappeal.com.

What an amazing story of a rs freshman bracket buster at 149...

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/740718-149-lbs-NCAA-D1-Awards-2014

Jason Tsirtsis wins NCAA championship at 149 pounds for Northwestern

Christine Abbott, Northwestern University

Crown Point grad Jason Tsirtsis won an NCAA championship Saturday at 149 pounds for Northwestern. The redshirt freshman beat Oklahoma State's Joshua Kindig 3-1 in overtime.

March 23, 2014 4:15 pm • Brian Waddle Times Correspondent

For some, it’s March Sadness. For Jason Tsirtsis, it was March Madness — to another dimension.

The Crown Point grad and Griffith native became the first freshman in Northwestern history to win a national title. The redshirt freshman beat Oklahoma State’s Joshua Kindig 3-1 in overtime Saturday night in Oklahoma City in the 149-pound championship during the NCAA Division I wrestling championships, shown live on ESPN.

“My face is all beat up, but I’ll take it,†Tsirtsis said by phone Sunday. “I can’t see out of my left eye and I needed three stitches in my right eye.

“It still hasn’t hit me,†Tsirtsis continued. “I guess when I get home and settle down, I will realize what I did.â€

In other action, Hanover Central’s Andrew Howe came up short in the 174-pound title match, falling to top-ranked Chris Perry of Oklahoma State 4-0.

Tsirtsis (32-3) earned his place in history as he had to win three consecutive overtime matches to take home the title. He is the first Northwestern wrestler to win an NCAA championship since Jake Herbert (184 pounds) in 2009. Tsirtsis is also the school’s first-ever national champion at 149 pounds.

In the championship against Kindig (24-9), Tsirtsis held a small riding-time advantage, but the match went into overtime after a stalling warning. In OT, Tsirtsis grabbed both of Kindig’s ankles to score a two-point takedown and secure the 3-1 win.

“The goal was to win the whole thing, and I set my goals high to do well and reach my full potential,†Tsirtsis said. “If I didn’t have that attitude I don’t think I could have won three overtime matches.â€

In the semifinals against top-seeded Drake Houdashelt of Missouri, Tsirtsis earned a 2-1 victory, getting the decisive point on an escape with just one second left in overtime. After the match, he had blood pouring out of a huge cut on his face during his celebration.

“Oh, my whole body is beat up pretty bad,†Tsirtsis said. “Thank goodness we are on spring break (this week). I’ll probably come home on Tuesday and just rest.â€

Tsirtsis defeated Oklahoma’s Kendric Maples, the 2013 NCAA champion at 141 pounds, in the quarterfinals in a 2-1 tiebreaker decision in extra time. Maples took a 1-0 lead in the match, but Tsirtsis tied things up with a late escape in the third period, pushing Maple’s arms and freeing himself to force overtime. He hung on and wouldn’t allow an escape in the extra session to prevail.

“I had five tough competitors, with the last three being exceptionally tough,†Tsirtsis said. “I just tried to stay focused on each match and each task at hand.â€

Tsirtsis, who won a Big Ten title after knocking off the top seed in Nebraska’s Jake Sueflohn and No. 2 seed Nick Dardanes of Minnesota, continued to prove the seedings mean nothing once you step on the mat. Coming into the NCAA tournament, Tsirtsis was seeded fifth.

Tsirtsis had plenty of support on his way to the title. His parents, Dawn and Marino, brothers Mike and Alex, Alex’s wife Tarin, grandfather, numerous family and friends, and even Crown Point coach Scott Vlink made the trek to Oklahoma City.

There’s already internet talk of four national titles, but Tsirtsis knows winning an NCAA championship isn’t a walk in the park.

“My focus is one more,†Tsirtsis said. “You can’t win three at a time; you can only win one (at a time).â€

son.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved.

Note: Flo didn't even suggest this young buck to make noise here...

149 LBS - As opposed to 141 pounds, this weight class supports the parity in Division I wrestling and has no clear favorite Drake Houdasheldt (Missouri) has earned the top spot with a 34-1 record. However, the bracket also contains top contenders, including the returning 141-pound National Champion Kendrick Maple (Oklahoma), past All-American Nick Dardanes (Minnesota) and Chris Villalonga (Cornell), each of whom could reach the top of the podium. Based upon his recent run, including an EIWA championship, The Sports Network is picking the Big Red's Villalonga to bring home a NCAA title.

DARK HORSE: Eric Grajales (Michigan). Grajales was one of the highest-ranked recruits coming out of high school, but has yet to reach the podium. The Sports Network believes Grajales, who is in his senior season, will finally break through and ultimately find himself as an All-American for the Wolverines.

Post championship match interview

Jason Tsirtsis (Northwestern) NCAA Champion at 149:

Edited by Sommers

As you progress and move on to international competition like Nick Marable has done, it's very possible you could find yourself in this position with absolutely no sympathy...

Awesome Wrestling | Stadnik Bomb | #McNasty:

May not be all that inspiring to some, but it is reality, and quite recent.

Note: this may be the answer to some of you regarding the ol Soms. In spring of 1979, I got thrown and essentially ended the same way FIVE times in the same match. Suplay by Murray Lee Cruz out of Ga. Ouch!!! (~>__<~)

​What a little more off season sacrifice offers...  

Dream Team Classic Invades Peach State

Willie Saylor Powered by Flocasts on 

Apr 11, 2014

| 

Dream Team Classic Visits Peach State
Willie Saylor, Sr. Editor

CK Dream Team Results: USA 37, Georgia 15

113: 
Alonzo Allen, Rockdale, GA dec. #4-Brian Rossi, Lockport, IL (Stanford), 9-4

120: #4-Sean Russell, Collins Hill, GA (Edinboro) dec. #5-Scotty Parker, Pennridge, PA (Lehigh), 5-2

126: #5-Ryan Millhof, Collins Hill,GA (Oklahoma) dec. #3-Zeke Moisey, Bethlehem Catholic, PA (West Virginia), 5-3

132: #12-Tyler Smith, Franklin Regional, PA (Bucknell) md. Tyler Marinelli, Jefferson, GA (Gardner-Webb), 15-7

138: #8-Seth Gross, Apple Valley, MN (Iowa) dec. Cameron Perry, Gilmer, GA (Virginia), 8-4

145: #1-Jason Nolf, Kittaning, PA (Penn State) dec. JJ Alfau, Turner County, GA, 14-8

152: #4-TC Warner, Cumberland Valley, PA (Old Dominion) md. Matt Moody, Lowndes, GA, 14-6

160: #1-Garrett Peppelman, Central Dauphin, PA (Virginia) md. Jake Henson, Pope, GA (Virginia), 15-6

170: #4-Chandler Rogers, Stillwater, OK (Oklahoma St.) wbf. Demarko Dixson, Appling, GA (Air Force)

182: #2-Bo Nickal, Allen, Texas (Penn State) md. #3-Chip Ness, Burford, GA (North Carolina), 12-3

195: #4-Nathan Rose, Sibley, MN (Minnesota) dec. #16-Chance McClure, Commerce, GA (Virginia), 5-4

220: 
#19-Matt Moore, Apalachee, GA (North Carolina) wbf. Sage Hecox, Harlem, IL 

285: #15-Billy Miller, Perry, OH (Edinboro) wbf. MJ Couzans, Archer, GA (Tennessee St. (Football))

TEAM USA Coach: Scott Legacy, VT
TEAM GEORGIA Coaches: Dustin Kawa, Terry Allison

Notice that big first win at 113...  unranked vs #4!!!  Kudo's to Russell and Millhof for competing well & several of our neighbors to the south for even taking this team on!!  Ness had his hands full, and Cael Sanderson is a happy camper.

This certainly shows why this areas wrestlers and programs consistently grow like they do, and are well prepared for the Super 32 each November.

Edited by Sommers

We all know who Chip Ness is... But Bo Nickal from a Tennessee equivalent state, Texas; shows us why 4x Nat'l Champ Penn State can choose Mr Steady (likely redshirt) over Mock's Big Bad Southern Boy with "the Hair."

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251582-2014-Dream-Team-Classic-Team-USA-vs-Team-Georgia/video/743030-Chip-Ness-GA-vs-Bo-Nickal-USA

• Upvote 1

We all know who Chip Ness is... But Bo Nickal from a Tennessee equivalent state, Texas; shows us why 4x Nat'l Champ Penn State can choose Mr Steady (likely redshirt) over Mock's Big Bad Southern Boy with "the Hair."

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251582-2014-Dream-Team-Classic-Team-USA-vs-Team-Georgia/video/743030-Chip-Ness-GA-vs-Bo-Nickal-USA

Mr. Sommers, Interesting fact about Mr Bo Nickals. 3 years ago he was visiting family here in TN and his father brought him in for a wrestling workout at Knuckleheads Wrestling Club in Clarksville. Bo worked almost entirely with my son Chad Isbell. At that time they were both coming off runner-up finishes in each of their respective state high school tournaments. Chad was a Junior and Bo was a freshman. They had numerous live goes against each other and at that time they were about as even as two wrestlers could be. Who would have ever figured that Bo would take off like he did and now be one of the most prized recruits in the country? Edited by deadlift
  • Upvote 1

You can be proud of that boy for sure... I can relate to some small extent, My senior #2 son, a few years back, having similar experiences against soph Tyler Knapp in off season workouts down at Collins Hill and Jr. Kelly Felix... Neither quite rose up to what Bo's caliber in college should ultimately be, however.

... My 3rd son had some ups & a few downs as well, but gained some confidence traveling & taking on some of the best AA's, including Ga's Taylor Lujan... That actually wasn't all that pleasant though (>ï¹<)

Edited by Sommers