best high school weightroom

iownyou

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodpasture has a huge room with the full Hammer Strength line as well, including 4 ground base jammers and 4 custom lifting platforms, four squat racks and four benches. There is also a full set of bumpers at each platform. I have seen FRA's as well. Equipment-wise it is good, but it is very cramped. Not much room to move around. I guess with their number of students that is not a problem. McGavock has I'm sure the best weight room of any school in Metro. I have to agree with an earlier post, however. You can have all the bells and whistles you want, but the kids have to get in there and work. Doing bench press and curls and leaving is NOT work.

Gallatin's current weight room is very nice by the standards with which it was built in the mid 1980's. Current coach, Robert Lassiter, and assistant Marcus Walls work to make sure it has the nicest equipment and is always clean. The new weight room has looked good on the drawing board, and it may be built some day. If and when completed, it will be a magnificent public school facility.

Hendersonville's, originally constructed by Lassiter and staff at HHS at the time is a nice facility built in the band room of the old high school. Nicknamed the "Iron Bunker", it can an intimidating facility for incoming freshmen. The only drawback is that all sports teams use it, and each has their own definition of cleaning up.

White House's is a good facility for a 4A school. I was impressed by the equipment, but not by the location.

I have not seen Portland's since it was in the school building, so I will not assess judgement.

Go by and visit the FRA weightroom. The strength coach will be happy to show you around. You must not have seen their facilities, because cramped it is not. They are in the the process of getting an indoor track also.

I need to go by and see what Coach Perk and Coach Montgomery have done at BA. I have heard good things about their facility, and I know they are great men and coaches.

Oldschool75, if you are talking about the FRA weight room that is behind the balcony of the junior high gym then yes I have seen it and it is cramped, at least if you plan to do any real lifts from the floor (power cleans, snatches, deadlifts). Are they going to extend the balcony the rest of the way around the gym to make the indoor track?

Crazebear if you think FRA's weight room is cramped, you have not seen many weight rooms. I have visited many colleges both large Big Ten rooms and small Division III rooms and nothing about the FRA weight room is cramped. Plus we have more specialized equipment then many small colleges.

Sure would like to see BA's weight room though. Christmas is coming and since Coach Brock has been a half way decent boy this year, we could always use ideas for his gift list.