Shelby County 2014 Pre-Season Thread (Districts 14, 15, & 16)

kwc

Of course white station is the most important game. But they won't have what they had last year by graduation and the loss of 2 other key players.. they won't have enough to beat us this year. They shouldn't have last year. In all big games Jordan Williams will show why he is one of the best we ever had!!!

coach10ac...

Besides Jordan, who else we got in the Backfield... Numbers and nicknames will do lol...

There will be STIFF competition in 16AAA and 15AAA no doubt but I feel like Whitehaven and Ridgeway will easily rise above both leagues due to Defense and superior QB play. Williams for Whitehaven and Conard for Ridgeway, from what I've seen, are special talents that will certainly have their fair chance of playing QB on SATURDAYS... Having a Signal Caller that has College QB potential along with a Good Defense is THE recipe for DEEP Playoff runs

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

I RESPECT DA HAVEN!! I HAVE BEEN A FAN OF YOU GUYS EVERY SINCE YOU CRACK THAT CODE....I WENT A LITTLE OVERBOARD GLOATING ABOUT THAT STUD DOTSON...BUT HE PLAYED ONE HECK OF A GAME...I WATCHED WHEN YOU LOST AND CRACK THAT CODE...ONE OF THE BEST HIGH SCHOOL GAMES I WATCHED EVER!! HENRY COUNTY WAS A GOOD ONE TOO....HOPING TO SEE MY OWLS CRACK A CODE...

There will be STIFF competition in 16AAA and 15AAA no doubt but I feel like Whitehaven and Ridgeway will easily rise above both leagues due to Defense and superior QB play. Williams for Whitehaven and Conard for Ridgeway, from what I've seen, are special talents that will certainly have their fair chance of playing QB on SATURDAYS... Having a Signal Caller that has College QB potential along with a Good Defense is THE recipe for DEEP Playoff runs

I think Whitehaven's 'D' will rise based upon last year's tutalage and what we having coming back. Ridgeway's 'D' was suspect against the elite teams. This year is new and we will see what they bring. If their 'D' is improved then I'm in agreement. East, on the other hand, had the BEST 'D' out of all of the teams in the district last year, and that includes the Haven and White Station. East's achilees heel was their anemic offense. Well, we have already heard the East has s 6'-3" QB this season who can look over the defenses who looked good in the 7 on 7.

Right now I feel confident that there are going to be a LOT of good games to see this year. Whitehaven has two Fridays back to back in October where they will not play ... October 3rd and October 10th. I'm already planning to attend some other games on those nights. Ridgeway plays G-town on the 3rd. They play Southwind on the 10th. Houston plays Southwind on the 3rd. White Station plays Arlington on the 10th. Southwind Plays G-Town on the 10th. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I think Whitehaven's 'D' will rise based upon last year's tutalage and what we having coming back. Ridgeway's 'D' was suspect against the elite teams. This year is new and we will see what they bring. If their 'D' is improved then I'm in agreement. East, on the other hand, had the BEST 'D' out of all of the teams in the district last year, and that includes the Haven and White Station. East's achilees heel was their anemic offense. Well, we have already heard the East has s 6'-3" QB this season who can look over the defenses who looked good in the 7 on 7.

Right now I feel confident that there are going to be a LOT of good games to see this year. Whitehaven has two Fridays back to back in October where they will not play ... October 3rd and October 10th. I'm already planning to attend some other games on those nights. Ridgeway plays G-town on the 3rd. They play Southwind on the 10th. Houston plays Southwind on the 3rd. White Station plays Arlington on the 10th. Southwind Plays G-Town on the 10th. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

If I were you I'd go to the Bolded game on Oct 10 unless WS is unable to recover from that likely 0-3 Start... WS should be fighting for their playoff lives and Arlington will probably be playing for Playoff seeding. That could be interesting as it pertains to Whitehaven's road to Cookeville. 

If I were you I'd go to the Bolded game on Oct 10 unless WS is unable to recover from that likely 0-3 Start... WS should be fighting for their playoff lives and Arlington will probably be playing for Playoff seeding. That could be interesting as it pertains to Whitehaven's road to Cookeville.

Agreed. I'm seriously considering the Houston/Southwind game on the 3rd.

Bhs... they haven't gave out numbers yet. .. but we have a stable of rb's...jet, chopper, darrin, pooh, kj, will see the most. The rest are young bucks

Since I hadn't been around as much, is Jett the kid that came from Lanier with the High Expections a few years back? He wore #6 or #8 last season?

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

• 2 weeks later...

Pre-season Team Schedules from another high school football website, so these may not be totally acurate. Let me state that for various reasons I'm not going to post every shool's schedule.

* = District Game

District 13: (Area team that could play in Quad 4 come playoff time)

School: Brighton, Mascot: Cardinals, Classification: 6A

Date: Opponent:

8/22 Memphis Carver

8/29 @ Millington Central

9/12 Covington

9/19 Hardin County*

9/26 Columbia Central

10/03 @ Munford*

10/10 Bolton

10/17 @ Station Camp

10/24 @ Briarcrest Christian

10/31 @ Dyer County*

District 14:

School: Cordova, Mascot: Wolves, Classification: 6A

8/22 Houston

8/29 @ Kirby

9/05 @ Millington Central*

9/12 Collierville

9/19 Bolton*

9/25 @ Wooddale

10/03 Bartlett*

10/17 Kingsbury*

10/23 @ St. Benedict at Auburndale

10/30 @ Arlington*

School: Arlington, Mascot: Tigers, Classification: 6A

8/22 Kirby

8/29 Collierville

9/05 @ Bartlett*

9/12 Oakland

9/19 @ Kingsbury*

9/26 Raleigh-Egypt

10/03 Bolton*

10/10 @ White Station (Fairgrounds)

10/17 Millington Central* (This game may be played on 10/24)

10/30 Cordova*

School: Millington, Mascot: Trojans, Classification: 5A

Date: Opponent

8/22 @ Germantown

8/29 Brighton

9/05 Cordova*

9/12 @ Munford

9/19 Bartlett*

9/26 Montgomery Bell Acadamy

10/03 @ Kingbury*

10/10 Liberty Tech Magnet

10/17 @ Arlington* (This game may be played on 10/24)

10/31 @ Bolton*

District 15:

School: Germantown, Mascot: Red Devils, Classification: 6A

8/22 Millington Central

8/29 @ Christian Brothers

9/05 Collierville*

9/12 @ Briarrest Christian

9/19 @ Houston*

9/26 Kingbury

10/03 @ Ridgeway* (Halle)

10/10 Southwind*

10/17 Kirby*

10/24 @ Wooddale*

School: Houston, Mascot: Mustangs, Classification: 6A

8/22 @ Cordova

8/29 Bolton

9/05 @ Wooddale*

9/12 Dickson County

9/19 Germantown*

9/26 @ Bartlett

10/03 Southwind*

10/10 Ridgeway*

10/17 Collierville*

10/31 @ Kirby*

School: Southwind, Mascot: Jaguars, Classification: 6A

8/22 East

8/29 Sheffield

9/05 Ridgeway*

9/12 Byhalia (MS)

9/19 Trezevant

10/03 @ Houston*

10/10 @ Germantown*

10/17 Wooddale*

10/24 Kirby*

10/31 @ Collierville*

School: Collierville, Mascot: Dragons, Classification: 6A

8/22 Bolton

8/29 @ Arlington

9/05 @ Germantown*

9/12 @ Cordova

9/19 Wooddale*

10/03 Kirby*

10/10 @ Ridgeway*

10/17 Munford

10/24 @ Houston*

10/31 Southwind*

School: Ridgeway, Mascot: Roadrunners, Classification: 5A

8/22 @ Olive Branch

9/05 @ Southwind*

9/12 @ Henry County

9/19 @ Kirby*

9/26 Whitehaven

10/03 Germantown*

10/10 Collierville*

10/17 @ Houston*

10/23 @ East

10/31 Wooddale*

District 16:

School: White Station, Mascot: Spartans, Classification: 6A

8/22 @ South Panola

8/29 @ Oakland

9/05 Whitehaven*

9/12 @ East*

9/18 Hamilton*

9/26 @ Christian Brothers

10/03 @ Overton*

10/24 Central*

10/31 @ Melrose*

School: Whitehaven, Mascot: Tigers, Classification: 6A

8/23 @ Mitchell (Whitehaven Classic @ Whitehaven Stadium)

8/29 @ Fairley (JP Freeman)

9/05 @ White Station* (Fairgrounds)

9/12 Central*

9/18 @ Melrose*

9/26 @ Ridgeway (Halle)

10/17 East*

10/23 Carver {Thursday}

10/24 @ Hamilton* (Crump Stadium) {Friday}

10/31 Overton*

Other schools schedules may be added as their schedules become more complete.

This needs to be updated.

You're welcome BHS. I'm glad you grasped my attempt to handle this topic that is UNIVERSAL throughout urban AMERICA. Whitehaven is unique in Memphis with the support that it gets. This is a phenomenon that plagues EVERY good quality urban program in large cities. It's just not unique to Whitehaven and the urban programs of Memphis. It's a nation wide epidemic.

My solution is for like programs to unite. What do I mean? Well ... let the Dallas Skyline's or whatever that school's name is that tore Ridgeway a new one a few years back get with the Whitehaven's of the world and do home and homes. Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Detroit, DC, Nashville, New Orleans, St. Louis, Louiville, and so on.  Neutral site invitational games where you do it like the Whitehaven classic. Or, you could set up something like the what the HBCU's do, like the Southern Heritage Classic, yet on a high school level. Imagine every year, in the Liberty Bowl, or at Central Stadium big named urban programs going at each other. You could swap cities every year ... one year in Dallas, next year in Memphis ... or you could do it every year in Memphis ... The possibilities are endless and there is PLENTY of MONEY to be made. Can you imagine Whitehaven vs. an urban Atlanta power every year? or White Station vs an urban DC power every year?

The issue is not going away anytime soon. There is no need for any of the urban powerhouse programs in any city to feel the need to have to always travel to a private school or a suburban school in order to play a good quality game with a good payday. Those days are over. I hope the other powerful Memphis urban programs unite with Whitehaven's stance and form an alliance with other major cities and solve their own problem. That way the 'urban stigma' won't be a factor. Why on earth would Ridegway feel the need to travel to play Henry County at Henry County two years in a row just because Henry County WON'T reciprocate the return game? Why even enter that contract? Does that sound like an intelligent decision to you? It doesn't to me. I don't fault Henry County in that decision, I fault Ridgeway. Now, I understand the mentality of the Ridgeway coach and he doesn't care about the double standard. He want's to play the best and if that means traveling to Henry County every year, then so be it. He's not scared nor are his players ... as a matter of fact, they probably relish the idea of going into Henry County and putting an 'L' on those guys. I've got major respect for the Ridgeway coach and their program. But, I wouldn't handle things that way at all.

I know BHS ... I know. Some folks look at the schedule and they think Whitehaven is just trying to beat up on local schools that aren't on Whitehaven's level and that Whitehaven is trying to build it's resume'. I understand that aspect of this. But at some point, you have to take a stand. At some point you have to determine when enough is enough. Do you sell your soul and self respect to go play an MUS at their place every year or CBHS or 'fill in the blank' ... or ... do you take a stand and be the leader in the movement that will have others taking pot shots at you and your program when you decide that you will no longer be made a fool of?

Yes ... there are scheduling issues that schools face based upon the regulating body of that state and the circumstances that any particular school may find itself in. That being said, THIS issue is something that private, suburban, and rural schools do not face. It's unique to urban schools only. Whitehaven is stepping out to be a leader in fighting this issue the only way that makes sense.

Just don't enter into those contracts. Find another way. There are options. You don't have to take the short end of the stick.

The more and more I think about this, the more and more I've become convinced that this is something that would be a tremendous hit. Memphis is geographically located in such a position that there could be a seven city combination that could work this thing. Memphis, St. Louis, New Orleans, Little Rock, Dallas, Louiville, and Jackson MS.

Whitehaven, White Station, Melrose, Memphis East, Ridgeway, Memphis Central, Trezevant, and Manassas, and Mitchell are all of the Memphis schools that I would start with. Find other urban schools in one of the cities mentioned that are comparble in student population and are considered to be good football programs to participate.

We would call it the 'Inner City High School Classic' or the 'Big City Urban High School Classic' or the 'Memphis-Dallas urban High School Classic', or etc. Play the games on Saturdays with one weekend being Ridgeway vs a Dallas team, then the next Saturday Whitehaven vs a New Orleans team and so on. Some game played in Memphis. Some games played in Dallas. Some games played in New Orleans.

This could be HUGE. I'm more then confident that the strong urban programs in those cities face the same delima that exist in Memphis.

I need some input on this .... Galilee, coach10ac, BHS, dannyq, and anybody else affiliated with an urban program, give me some feedback because I'm seriously thinking about being the Fred Jones of some event like this. The Southern Heritage Classic is the model. This could incorporate a band showdown between the schools and some type of social event ... the whole nine yards.

What do you guys think?

Edited by kwc
  • Upvote 1

Pre-season Team Schedules from another high school football website, so these may not be totally acurate. Let me state that for various reasons I'm not going to post every shool's schedule.

* = District Game

District 13: (Area team that could play in Quad 4 come playoff time)

School: Brighton, Mascot: Cardinals, Classification: 6A

Date:   Opponent:

8/22    Memphis Carver

8/29    @ Millington Central

9/12    Covington

9/19    Hardin County*

9/26    Columbia Central

10/03  @ Munford*

10/10  Bolton

10/17  @ Station Camp

10/24  @ Briarcrest Christian

10/31  @ Dyer County*

District 14:

School: Cordova, Mascot: Wolves, Classification: 6A

Date:   Opponent:

8/22    Houston

8/29    @ Kirby

9/05    @ Millington Central*

9/12    Collierville

9/19    Bolton*

9/25    @ Wooddale

10/03  Bartlett*

10/17  Kingsbury*

10/23  @ St. Benedict at Auburndale

10/30  @ Arlington*

School: Arlington, Mascot: Tigers, Classification: 6A

Date:  Opponent:

8/22    Kirby

8/29    Collierville

9/05    @ Bartlett*

9/12    Oakland

9/19    @ Kingsbury*

9/26    Raleigh-Egypt

10/03  Bolton*

10/10  @ White Station (Fairgrounds)

10/17  Millington Central* (This game may be played on 10/24)

10/30  Cordova*   

School: Millington, Mascot: Trojans, Classification: 5A

Date:   Opponent

8/22    @ Germantown

8/29    Brighton

9/05    Cordova*

9/12    @ Munford

9/19    Bartlett*

9/26    Montgomery Bell Acadamy

10/03  @ Kingbury*

10/10  Liberty Tech Magnet

10/17  @ Arlington* (This game may be played on 10/24)

10/31  @ Bolton*

District 15:

School: Germantown, Mascot: Red Devils, Classification: 6A

8/22    Millington Central

8/29    @ Christian Brothers

9/05    Collierville*

9/12    @ Briarrest Christian

9/19    @ Houston*

9/26    Kingbury

10/03  @ Ridgeway* (Halle)

10/10  Southwind*

10/17  Kirby*

10/24  @ Wooddale*

School: Houston, Mascot: Mustangs, Classification: 6A

8/22    @ Cordova

8/29    Bolton

9/05    @ Wooddale*

9/12    Dickson County

9/19    Germantown*

9/26    @ Bartlett

10/03  Southwind*

10/10  Ridgeway* 

10/17  Collierville*

10/31  @ Kirby*

School: Southwind, Mascot: Jaguars, Classification: 6A

8/22    East

8/29    Sheffield

9/05    Ridgeway*

9/12    Byhalia (MS)

9/19    Trezevant

10/03  @ Houston*

10/10  @ Germantown*

10/17  Wooddale*

10/24  Kirby*

10/31  @ Collierville*

School: Collierville, Mascot: Dragons, Classification: 6A

8/22    Bolton

8/29    @ Arlington

9/05    @ Germantown*

9/12    @ Cordova

9/19    Wooddale*

10/03  Kirby*

10/10  @ Ridgeway*

10/17  Munford

10/24  @ Houston*

10/31  Southwind*

School: Ridgeway, Mascot: Roadrunners, Classification: 5A

8/22    @ Olive Branch

9/05    @ Southwind*

9/12    @ Henry County

9/19    @ Kirby*

9/26    Whitehaven

10/03  Germantown*

10/10  Collierville*

10/17  @ Houston*

10/23  @ East

10/31  Wooddale*

District 16:

School: White Station, Mascot: Spartans, Classification: 6A

8/22    @ South Panola

8/29    @ Oakland

9/05    Whitehaven*

9/12    @ East*

9/18    Hamilton*

9/26    @ Christian Brothers

10/03  @ Overton*

10/24  Central*

10/31  @ Melrose*

School: Whitehaven, Mascot: Tigers, Classification: 6A

Date:   Opponent:

8/23    @ Mitchell (Whitehaven Classic @ Whitehaven Stadium)

8/29    @ Fairley (JP Freeman)

9/05    @ White Station* (Fairgrounds)

9/12    Central*

9/18    @ Melrose*

9/26    @ Ridgeway (Halle)

10/17  East*

10/23  Carver {Thursday}

10/24  @ Hamilton* (Crump Stadium) {Friday}

10/31  Overton*

Other schools schedules may be added as their schedules become more complete.

District 16:

School: East, Mascot: Mustang, Classification: 5A

Date:    Opponent:

8/22     @ Southwind

8/29     Westwood

9/05     Overton *

9/12     White Station*

9/19    @ Central*

9/26    @ Briarcrest

10/03  Melrose*

10/17  @ Whitehaven*

10/24  Ridgeway

10/31  Hamilton*

School: Melrose, Mascot: Golden Wildcat, Classification: 5A

8/22    MAHS

8/29    B.T. Washington

9/05    @ Central*

9/12    @ Kirby

9/18    Whitehaven*

10/03  @ East*

10/10  Kingsbury

10/17  Hamilton*

10/24  @ Overton*

10/31  White Station*

Edited by kwc

The more and more I think about this, the more and more I've become convinced that this is something that would be a tremendous hit. Memphis is geographically located in such a position that there could be a seven city combination that could work this thing. Memphis, St. Louis, New Orleans, Little Rock, Dallas, Louiville, and Jackson MS.

Whitehaven, White Station, Melrose, Memphis East, Ridgeway, Memphis Central, Trezevant, and Manassas, and Mitchell are all of the Memphis schools that I would start with. Find other urban schools in one of the cities mentioned that are comparble in student population and are considered to be good football programs to participate.

We would call it the 'Inner City High School Classic' or the 'Big City Urban High School Classic' or the 'Memphis-Dallas urban High School Classic', or etc. Play the games on Saturdays with one weekend being Ridgeway vs a Dallas team, then the next Saturday Whitehaven vs a New Orleans team and so on. Some game played in Memphis. Some games played in Dallas. Some games played in New Orleans.

This could be HUGE. I'm more then confident that the strong urban programs in those cities face the same delima that exist in Memphis.

I need some input on this .... Galilee, coach10ac, BHS, dannyq, and anybody else affiliated with an urban program, give me some feedback because I'm seriously thinking about being the Fred Jones of some event like this. The Southern Heritage Classic is the model. This could incorporate a band showdown between the schools and some type of social event ... the whole nine yards.

What do you guys think?

I think your idea could work as long as the logistics work...

I have a similar type of idea but not as Grand as yours...

I say have a "Classic" with 4 "Urban" Programs that have Good/Great Football AND BAND Programs... I'd have a Battle of the Bands and a 5th Quarter event for the Bands and of course good Football...I would keep it to Teams within the 4 hour radius of Memphis with the City of Atlanta being the Lone exception (You can't get paid paying for folks travel lol).

I would look for schools like Whitehaven, White Station (shocked that they have a good band now!) Greenwood, MS, Atlanta SW, etc. I think this type of event, done right could be a showcase for the Band Members just as much as it would be for Football players.