Shelby County 2014 Pre-Season Thread (Districts 14, 15, & 16)

kwc

So where is Science Hill? Isn't it in the Knoxville Area?

VA and NC, as a whole, has BETTER High School football than TN... There are just as many D1 recruits at one of those Tide Water VA programs or Charlotte NC

science hill is northeast TN, tri-cities area. Ur correct about VA and NC programs, but we want to play top TN teams.

If a team puts together their schedule worrying about losses, then they have already lost. Programs like Sevier Co. arent intimidated by any program (they play Maryville every year), but it costs a lot to bus 100-150 people 4-6 hours away for just 1 game. Siegel has to go to Chattanooga McCallie, Science Hill, and Beech in consecutive weeks. I can only imagine how spending that much money on travel can put a strain on your program

It is inaccurate to say that Sevier County plays maryville every year. This past year was the 1st time they had played them in the regular season since the early to mid 90s as far as I know. They have played them in the playoffs a few times though. Edited by Governors91

Kwc, I've given this some serious thought. If it was to be a Saturday game at noon then we could make a nice little weekend trip out of it. We will want to keep DB and mairvul on our schedule. Everyone at SCHS looks forward to those games. But our contract with bearden is up after this year. If we could play Whitehaven as our first game, and it was an early Saturday game, I see us bringing a big crowd to Memphis

Hmmmm ... this has some potential. Whitehaven hosts the 'Whitehaven Classic' every year. This event involves six schools that are either in the Whitehaven community or they are located right on the fringes of it.  

The 'Whitehaven Community' isn't just the area of town where Whitehaven High school resides. It's bigger then that. It includes the 38116 zip code and a major portion of the 38109 zip code. It's borders are the Mississippi state line to the south, Hwy 61/Third Street to the west, I-240/I-55 to the north (malfunction junction), and Airways Blvd (Memphis and Shelby County Airport) to the east. Whitehaven, Fairley, Hillcrest all fall withing these boundries. Mitchell and Westwood (38109 zip code) lie west of these boundries while Hamilton (38106 zip code) is north of these boundries, but all of these are neighboring schools that are all very familiar with each other.

That being said, the Whitehaven classic is always the first game/event of the high school football season. It's a VERY WELL ATTENDED event that ties all of the communities together. All six schools make money on this event. It's a big event that every student from each school looks forward to attending. It last all day and you can only imagine the amount of tailgating that goes on. Folks put up tents and bring in the gigantic smokers and direct heat grillers and they literally sit out there all day as if it were at a SEC game. All of the alum from each school show up and it's just a grand time. The smaller schools especially benifit from the event from a financial standpoint. It's just a win-win all around.

I said all of that to say, I don't see Whitehaven NOT playing that game on Week 0. The second game of the year is either going to be Mitchell or Fairley, which are both neighborhood rivalries. It just depends upon who Whitehaven played in the Whitehaven Classic. The third game of the season is usually our big district rival ... White Station. That has been the third game of the season since I can remember.

If this were to happen ... it would definately have to happen after the third game of the season.

Who has the scoop on Arlington this year? Who will be their QB? I believe Sheffield graduated and I'm sure they have a playmaker to take over for him but just haven't heard. 

That's a good question TNHSFOOTBALLFAN. Sheffield did graduate. When you hear something, let us know.

I'm also curious about the other 5A and 6A schools in the area. What's going on at Houston? How is G-Town looking. What does Collierville have coming back. Who's going to replace the graduating WR playmaker that left Southwind? Is Boloton going to be competitive this year? Who has the scoop on Bartlett. Where are my Bartlett folk? What's going on Millington? I know Ridgeway is going to be loaded as well as East. What's coach Woods got up his sleeve over at Melrose.

Those are just a few ?

Hmmmm ... this has some potential. Whitehaven hosts the 'Whitehaven Classic' every year. This event involves six schools that are either in the Whitehaven community or they are located right on the fringes of it.  

The 'Whitehaven Community' isn't just the area of town where Whitehaven High school resides. It's bigger then that. It includes the 38116 zip code and a major portion of the 38109 zip code. It's borders are the Mississippi state line to the south, Hwy 61/Third Street to the west, I-240/I-55 to the north (malfunction junction), and Airways Blvd (Memphis and Shelby County Airport) to the east. Whitehaven, Fairley, Hillcrest all fall withing these boundries. Mitchell and Westwood (38109 zip code) lie west of these boundries while Hamilton (38106 zip code) is north of these boundries, but all of these are neighboring schools that are all very familiar with each other.

That being said, the Whitehaven classic is always the first game/event of the high school football season. It's a VERY WELL ATTENDED event that ties all of the communities together. All six schools make money on this event. It's a big event that every student from each school looks forward to attending. It last all day and you can only imagine the amount of tailgating that goes on. Folks put up tents and bring in the gigantic smokers and direct heat grillers and they literally sit out there all day as if it were at a SEC game. All of the alum from each school show up and it's just a grand time. The smaller schools especially benifit from the event from a financial standpoint. It's just a win-win all around.

I said all of that to say, I don't see Whitehaven NOT playing that game on Week 0. The second game of the year is either going to be Mitchell or Fairley, which are both neighborhood rivalries. It just depends upon who Whitehaven played in the Whitehaven Classic. The third game of the season is usually our big district rival ... White Station. That has been the third game of the season since I can remember.

If this were to happen ... it would definately have to happen after the third game of the season.

I heard Fairley is about to be shut down