Shelby County 2014 Pre-Season Thread (Districts 14, 15, & 16)

kwc

I think your idea could work as long as the logistics work...

I have a similar type of idea but not as Grand as yours...

I say have a "Classic" with 4 "Urban" Programs that have Good/Great Football AND BAND Programs... I'd have a Battle of the Bands and a 5th Quarter event for the Bands and of course good Football...I would keep it to Teams within the 4 hour radius of Memphis with the City of Atlanta being the Lone exception (You can't get paid paying for folks travel lol).

I would look for schools like Whitehaven, White Station (shocked that they have a good band now!) Greenwood, MS, Atlanta SW, etc. I think this type of event, done right could be a showcase for the Band Members just as much as it would be for Football players.

Cities within the 4 hour radius of Memphis that surely have BOTH good bands and football: Nashville, Little Rock, St. Louis, Birmingham, Jackson Miss, Jackson, TN. I wouldn't have to have schools from Cities though I would just have schools with Legit Programs. I'd sell the mini-HBCU experience of the 5th Quarter more than the Football. The Marjorette Stand Battles, the Drumline, Tuba Line, etc battles would bring in Plenty cash.

Cities within the 4 hour radius of Memphis that surely have BOTH good bands and football: Nashville, Little Rock, St. Louis, Birmingham, Jackson Miss, Jackson, TN. I wouldn't have to have schools from Cities though I would just have schools with Legit Programs. I'd sell the mini-HBCU experience of the 5th Quarter more than the Football. The Marjorette Stand Battles, the Drumline, Tuba Line, etc battles would bring in Plenty cash.

BHS:

You are definately on to something. Sell the mini-HBCU classic game experience. Maybe even an on-field band showdown after the game. The football programs involved have to be on par or elite. A subpar game could be a deal killer. Teams with some history of success in football. Teams expected to advance in the playoffs in their respective states.

I was thinking that a six hour drive would suffice. That way Dallas and St, Louis could be included. I wasn't including the ATL in this discussion because of the distance ... but it could work as well. I wasn't including Nashville because I was trying to avoid teams facing teams that they may face in the post season. But, that doesn't mean that Nashville should be excluded either. Just make it so that no Nashville team plays a Memphis team.

Do we include Birmingham and Huntsville?

I think we start small and work our way up into a bigger, broader event. We could just start with a few ... all on the same week-end or run them in consecutive week-ends. The possibilities are endless.

What say ye?

Edited by kwc

BHS:

You are definately on to something. Sell the mini-HBCU classic game experience. Maybe even an on-field band showdown after the game. The football programs involved have to be on par or elite. A subpar game could be a deal killer. Teams with some history of success in football. Teams expected to advance in the playoffs in their respective states.

I was thinking that a six hour drive would suffice. That way Dallas and St, Louis could be included. I wasn't including the ATL in this discussion because of the distance ... but it could work as well. I wasn't including Nashville because I was trying to avoid teams facing teams that they may face in the post season. But, that doesn't mean that Nashville should be excluded either. Just make it so that no Nashville team plays a Memphis team.

Do we include Birmingham and Huntsville?

I think we start small and work our way up into a bigger, broader event. We could just start with a few ... all on the same week-end or run them in consecutive week-ends. The possibilities are endless.

What say ye?

Highway 78 being re-vamped makes the drive between Memphis and ATL 5.5 Hours or LESS. Of Course Huntsville and B-Ham would be involved. They go to the Magic City Classic in Droves. Maplewood, Pearl-Cohen or whatever Merto Nashville school would be my FIRST Pick after some Mississippi Schools cause I would position this as a Mini Southern Heritage Classic. 

The Main Point of the event is the Battle of the Bands! You know I'd have the On-Field Battle either Before (to fill the place to Max Capacity so the Players can experience a great atmosphere), in between the games (as a way to give it a Halftime feel), or after the Games (to keep people around for the eventual 5th Quarter). 

Highway 78 being re-vamped makes the drive between Memphis and ATL 5.5 Hours or LESS. Of Course Huntsville and B-Ham would be involved. They go to the Magic City Classic in Droves. Maplewood, Pearl-Cohen or whatever Merto Nashville school would be my FIRST Pick after some Mississippi Schools cause I would position this as a Mini Southern Heritage Classic. 

The Main Point of the event is the Battle of the Bands! You know I'd have the On-Field Battle either Before (to fill the place to Max Capacity so the Players can experience a great atmosphere), in between the games (as a way to give it a Halftime feel), or after the Games (to keep people around for the eventual 5th Quarter). 

I agree. The Battle of the Bands would draw enough to fill the stands and the game would benefit from that. To do it in a true HBCU classic fashion ... the tailgating aspect cannot be overlooked. That is a point that should be emphasized. This will, in all liklihood, be an all day event and it should be planned like it.

On a different note, according to a poster on the Volnation message board ... Donte' had 9 INT's last season? As a sophomore ... are you kidding me? No wonder Ole Miss has already offered.

Donte Vaughn on Volnation

I better update this. I see under 247 that Donte's been offered by UT, Auburn, and Miami. It seems that the cat is out of the bag already! Ole Miss does have a Whitehaven tie-in. One of the assistant coaches at Ole Miss is an ex HC at Whitehaven ... Maurice Harris. However, from the looks of the profile, UT is the leader of the pack. He's just a junior so this could be interesting. I've seen where Vandy is interested. It will probably be 20 - 30 offers on the table when it is all said and done.

Donte's 247sports profile

Edited by kwc