Shelby County 2014 Pre-Season Thread (Districts 14, 15, & 16)

kwc

I don't believe anyone on here is stereotyping any school, players, coaches or staff, but yes probably guilty of stereotyping the areas and or communities. I feel that teams choosing not to come to play in parts of Memphis has nothing to do with most of the teams/players/coaches/fans of the schools, but more of the area in which some of the schools reside in. Whitehaven has proven time and time again that they run a top notch classy program. It's when you are leaving the premises or area that the chance of getting harassed or confronted by someone that has nothing to do with the school or maybe not even the community is highly likely. The percentage of this happening usually rises the longer the opponent hangs around, especially if they win. This can happen anywhere as I witnessed first hand last year after the Millington/ Brighton game at Brighton High. The fact is though that if you were honest with yourself and was told this kind of thing happened at a game last night and the only two games on the schedule were Mt. Juilet @ Whitehaven & Milan@ Bartlett 90% would assume it happened at the MJ/WH game.

So I don't believe there is any disrespect to most Memphis programs but there are some areas that KWC, BHS, me, or anyone would not hang around on a friday night if given a choice to go somewhere else. NOTE:: If your not from the Shelby Co. area you probably don't know exactly where these boundaries may lie.. I really hope this isn't taken offensively by anyone JMO

Yes. Memphis is one of the worst cities for violent crime in the nation, it has even been ranked #1 before. So it's understandable why people might be hesitant to go there. Edited by Governors91

At the Memphis games that I have attended, the schools have done everything possible to ensure that what could happen from outside the stadium did not make it to inside the stadium or parking. I always felt safe and the host schools did a top notch job. No one should feel unsafe play a Memphis school at their place. You may have heard of crime and violence happening in the Memphis news. But did it happen at a football game?? Nope.

At the Memphis games that I have attended, the schools have done everything possible to ensure that what could happen from outside the stadium did not make it to inside the stadium or parking. I always felt safe and the host schools did a top notch job. No one should feel unsafe play a Memphis school at their place. You may have heard of crime and violence happening in the Memphis news. But did it happen at a football game?? Nope.

BIGPURPLEMACHINE, That's exactly what I said. Inside most of the programs are great and look after everyone. But Don't fool yourself. YES it happens at football games!!! maybe not inside. Every year their are several games that draw media attention for gun fire outside the stadium causing great concern for everyone inside, especially out of town opponents that have never experienced that kind of atmosphere.  There has even been some that were canceled and/or postponed because of violence occurring during a game or even the week of a game.  Again the Schools are great at doing what they can to make everyone comfortable but that only goes so far.   

BIGPURPLEMACHINE, That's exactly what I said. Inside most of the programs are great and look after everyone. But Don't fool yourself. YES it happens at football games!!! maybe not inside. Every year their are several games that draw media attention for gun fire outside the stadium causing great concern for everyone inside, especially out of town opponents that have never experienced that kind of atmosphere. There has even been some that were canceled and/or postponed because of violence occurring during a game or even the week of a game. Again the Schools are great at doing what they can to make everyone comfortable but that only goes so far.

We will have to agree to disagree. I definitely respect your opinion. My experiences would just indicate otherwise.

We will have to agree to disagree. I definitely respect your opinion. My experiences would just indicate otherwise.

As I respect yours also. My opinion is mainly that I can understand out of town teams being concerned and looking out for the best interest of their children. I live in memphis so my experiences are based on being there in person or watching the local news on a weekly basis.  Good luck to every team this year, have fun and be safe.

I'm curious to see how White Station and Houston will look in the 2nd year of those two new head coaches. This will be interesting to see.

How silly of me ... I left off one that I think will have the biggest impact in District 14. Cordova. That coach impressed me with what they were able to do in one short year. I'm REALLY interested in what they do this year. I won't be surprised if they unseat Arlington as the king of District 14 this year.

I hate to say this in lieu of the conversation,but some low life has stolen all the free weights out of the Whitehaven weightroom yesterday over the dead period. An investigation is underway.

dannyq:

What's the word on this investigation so far? Have you heard anything?

One of the best places I've ever watched a game was Orange Mound in the playoffs a few years ago. Incredible atmosphere, and I'd wager most other HC fans who made that trip would agree. Not sure why Ridgeway agreed to come to our place two years in a row, or even why we asked, but given the opponent, I know our fan base would be looking forward to that game regardless of where it is played.

The times I saw Melrose play in State Title games they had a huge crowd.