Shelby County 2014 Pre-Season Thread (Districts 14, 15, & 16)

kwc

Well, sigh, it's a little more complicated then that. Needless to say, the travel games actually solved a lot of issues for Whitehaven. Now, the obvious is rearing it's ugly head!

OB and USP would NEVER sign a home and home contract with Whitehaven. N E V E R.

It's the same reason why Henry County would NEVER sign a home and home with Ridgeway.

So, Whitehaven plays Carver this year. Too bad the team can't travel to Illinois or Missouri to play a good team.

Oh well. It is what it is.

This, "OB and USP would NEVER sign a home and home contract with Whitehaven. N E V E R."

Why do YOU think that is k-dub? I mean its money! Da Haven would invade Olive Branch, strong... Didn't both of these schools sign Contracts to play the Following Memphis Area Teams: Ridgeway, Memphis East, MUS, CBHS, White Station? We have a WAY bigger fan base then all those teams minus the Private Schools (MUS and CBHS)... S. Panola LOVES playing MUS, who we Scrimmage EVERY YEAR, but prolly NEVER discuses that good 2/4 Year Home and Home or 2 Home and 2 Away Contracts! 

RESPECT DA HAVEN...

I would bring up That Powerhouse across the state but Nah We KNOW they aint trying to Go to GA, NC, SC, VA or any other state to flex their muscle.

Middle Tenn folks, why did/do certain programs go North to Play KY schools instead of heading SOUTH to play AL schools? 

Senator, it seems that years ago Franklin Co and Lincoln Co both used to play Ala schools. I know the upper middle Tenn schools have always played a few from Ky. Allen Co, Hopkinsville, Fort Campbell, etc. we're all schools you would see dotting the schedules. Now it seems more privates do it. Those schools are playing other big privates around Lexington and Cinn. It is a good question that may have to do with 2 year contracts and not one year deals. Blackman is playing Hoover this year due to Bowling Green backing out of their contract. It happens but not very often do you see Tn/Ala schools go at it.

This, "OB and USP would NEVER sign a home and home contract with Whitehaven. N E V E R."

Why do YOU think that is k-dub? I mean its money! Da Haven would invade Olive Branch, strong... Didn't both of these schools sign Contracts to play the Following Memphis Area Teams: Ridgeway, Memphis East, MUS, CBHS, White Station? We have a WAY bigger fan base then all those teams minus the Private Schools (MUS and CBHS)... S. Panola LOVES playing MUS, who we Scrimmage EVERY YEAR, but prolly NEVER discuses that good 2/4 Year Home and Home or 2 Home and 2 Away Contracts! 

RESPECT DA HAVEN...

I would bring up That Powerhouse across the state but Nah We KNOW they aint trying to Go to GA, NC, SC, VA or any other state to flex their muscle.

Middle Tenn folks, why did/do certain programs go North to Play KY schools instead of heading SOUTH to play AL schools? 

I have now doubt that those are money making games.

It has NOTHING to do with money.

USP signed a Home and Home with MUS, but not White Station. Yes, OB has played Ridgeway and I know recently they scrimmaged with East ... but there is no Home and Home agreement between OB and Ridgeway or East. It's the same reason why Henry County is hosting Ridgeway AGAIN in 2014 as they did in 2013. I feel very confident in saying that Oakland WOULDN'T have signed a home and home contract with White Station if they could have found another game to their liking. I know they signed home and home with Arlington as well, but THAT home in home series doesn't surprise me and it probably could have happened without Oakland being in the situation where the NEEDED games. If they didn't NEED the games, I feel confident that the Oakland vs White Station games would NOT have been home and home.

Now ... would USP play Whitehaven? Maybe, if everything fell into place to their liking. The same goes for OB and the LIKE. But they would N E V E R sign a home and home contract with Whitehaven. IF the game happenes ... it happens at USP or OB or at Henry County, as Ridgeway is traveling to them again ... and don't expect Henry County to come to Memphis and play Ridgeway during the regular season, it's NOT going to happen!

Look, if you are to teach and train our young people to be leaders and difference makers, then there are some things that you just don't BOW DOWN to do. It's the same reason why we only SCRIMMAGE with MUS and CBHS. It's the same reason why we don't schedule games with other certain schools who only want to play Whitehaven if Whitehaven travels to that particular school. We are teaching our young people to have self respect in word and in deed... so for that reason there are some schools we are just NOT going to play in the regular season, because it's not going to be a one way street. PERIOD! Whitehaven is unique in that it's football program isn't beholden to play another school to get a payday. The support the school gets from it's alum and the community allows it to be distinctive and strong. Whitehaven doesn't have to play games for money because of the support system that is in place. Whitehaven therefore can set standards and show these young people that are under the Whitehaven tutalage that self respect is very important indeed.

Even IF ... even if there were to be home and home contracts signed, trust me when I say this because I watched it happen over and over when there were 5 classifications, Whitehaven will get the short end of the stick EVRYTIME.

It's why Whitehaven started doing the TRAVEL game in the first place ... It solved those issues AND it gave the young men the chance to get REAL travel game experience. The rented travel busses and the whole 9 yards. I hope they can secure a good travel game on next year's schedule.

Edited by kwc

KWC I agree totally. We (Mitchell) played CBHS in 08 and 09 at their place and beat them twice. They would not come to us or renew. One offical called a holding call against them that called back a TD and they protested and the guy was suspended. We travel well and took a huge crowd both years. If the outcome was diffrent would they have renewed.....YEAH.

USP signed a Home and Home with MUS, but not White Station. Yes, OB has played Ridgeway and I know recently they scrimmaged with East ... but there is no Home and Home agreement between OB and Ridgeway or East. It's the same reason why Henry County is hosting Ridgeway AGAIN in 2014 as they did in 2013. I feel very confident in saying that Oakland WOULDN'T have signed a home and home contract with White Station if they could have found another game to their liking. I know they signed home and home with Arlington as well, but THAT home in home series doesn't surprise me and it probably could have happened without Oakland being in the situation where the NEEDED games. If they didn't NEED the games, I feel confident that the Oakland vs White Station games would NOT have been home and home.

Now ... would USP play Whitehaven? Maybe, if everything fell into place to their liking. The same goes for OB and the LIKE. But they would N E V E R sign a home and home contract with Whitehaven. IF the game happenes ... it happens at USP or OB or at Henry County, as Ridgeway is traveling to them again ... and don't expect Henry County to come to Memphis and play Ridgeway during the regular season, it's NOT going to happen!

Look, if you are to teach and train our young people to be leaders and difference makers, then there are some things that you just don't BOW DOWN to do. It's the same reason why we only SCRIMMAGE with MUS and CBHS. It's the same reason why we don't schedule games with other certain schools who only want to play Whitehaven if Whitehaven travels to that particular school. We are teaching our young people to have self respect in word and in deed... so for that reason there are some schools we are just NOT going to play in the regular season, because it's not going to be a one way street. PERIOD! Whitehaven is unique in that it's football program isn't beholden to play another school to get a payday. The support the school gets from it's alum and the community allows it to be distinctive and strong. Whitehaven doesn't have to play games for money because of the support system that is in place. Whitehaven therefore can set standards and show these young people that are under the Whitehaven tutalage that self respect is very important indeed.

Even IF ... even if there were to be home and home contracts signed, trust me when I say this because I watched it happen over and over when there were 5 classifications, Whitehaven will get the short end of the stick EVRYTIME.

It's why Whitehaven started doing the TRAVEL game in the first place ... It solved those issues AND it gave the young men the chance to get REAL travel game experience. The rented travel busses and the whole 9 yards. I hope they can secure a good travel game on next year's schedule.

Just so were clear, it was Arlington that tried to find another game, then came back to Oakland for another home and home. Of course Oakland would like to play closer to home because it costs some major money to bus and feed 125-150 individuals. Oakland already had to travel to Chattanooga last year, so of course they would have preferred to have someone closer to home.

At the end of the day, the goal is to win the gold ball. There is no right or wrong way to come up with a schedule to give your team that chance

So KWC, you keep saying "it is the same reason". But you give no specifics. Just what exactly do you think is the reason teams won't come to Memphis to play Whitehaven???

That question (if answered) will lead to an argument that you can't win BPM...some questions are better left unasked.

Before some of you take offense to my advice, just know that Milan is famous for accepting challenges...backing down or showing fear are unknown character traits for the Bulldogs, so don't go there with their fans.

This is my thing kwc, I WISH the rest of the Coaches in the Mid-South and Tri-State area that like to think WE like beating up on our smaller school neighbors knew that we not trying to schedule Cupcakes (No Offense Fairley, Mitchell, Westwood, Carver, Hilcrest) but the Schools that would in theory give us more of a "challenge" don't want that Home and Home Contract cause they don't want THEM Ls... I wish those folks understood that for some reason they think our Whitehaven Community is the HOOD... Thank you k-dub for your answer and unique insight!  :mrgreen:

Just so were clear, it was Arlington that tried to find another game, then came back to Oakland for another home and home. Of course Oakland would like to play closer to home because it costs some major money to bus and feed 125-150 individuals. Oakland already had to travel to Chattanooga last year, so of course they would have preferred to have someone closer to home.

At the end of the day, the goal is to win the gold ball. There is no right or wrong way to come up with a schedule to give your team that chance

This is why I was surprised but not surprised that we didn't get a Return Game with SHG... That game was NOT supposed to be in Illinois at first... I heard it was supposed to be a Neutral site game. First it was supposed to be Nashville, then it was supposed to be at Southern Illinois University but some way WE ended up traveling to them for a Str8 up AWAY GAME... I say SHG pulled a FAST ONE on us.   <_<

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

This is why I was surprised but not surprised that we didn't get a Return Game with SHG... That game was NOT supposed to be in Illinois at first... I heard it was supposed to be a Neutral site game. First it was supposed to be Nashville, then it was supposed to be at Southern Illinois University but some way WE ended up traveling to them for a Str8 up AWAY GAME... I say SHG pulled a FAST ONE on us.   <_<

I think neutral site game are going to be more common in the future. Good way for great teams to get a game everyone wants to see without having to take on all of the expenses