Shelby County 2014 Pre-Season Thread (Districts 14, 15, & 16)

kwc

MidTennFootball:

That's a good question. It seems to me that things like this are cyclicle. Actually, It's a combination of things with some of the things you mentioned being a part of the whole tapestry. However, there is no simple answer to your question. Whitehaven and White Station weren't always the large school powerhouses that they are today. Both programs were built over time. I remember when both were doormat programs. Times have changed and both programs have evolved into what you see before you today as a result of cultural changes, administrative changes, coaching changes, philosophy changes, and the presence of an abundance talent as a result of increased student bodies.

Both Whitehaven and White Station put a lot of students in school on scholarship with football being just one avenue to which that endeavor is promulgated. Both schools do a terrific job at keeping the focus on continuing these young peoples education to further their development into successful adults with more opportunites as a result of the hardwork and dedication and emphasis placed upoon them in these institutions of learning.

If you ask, 'What does that do with the football programs being dominant?" I will tell you that it is interwoven in the fabric of what fuels these programs. It's why parents strive to get their sons and daughters enrolled into one of these two schools. That adds to the 'availability' to the abundance of talent. However, just because you have a large student body doesn't preclude that you will have a strong and vibrant football program. That's where coaching, community involvement, strong supportive booster programs, and strong alumni support also comes to play. Finacially, Whitehaven's program is in the black and not the red, and it's mostly due to a combination of student body and alumni participation, as well as, strong and empowered booster programs for both the football team and the band. The coaching staff makes sure that the players are prepared for what is expected. Schollastically as well as with football. They put in the work necessary to be successful. Coaches, student athletes, parents, everybody involved. I can't speak for White Station, but Whitehaven's football program has become a well oiled machine as a result of leadership and community involvement. The last four HC at Whitehaven are all Whitehaven grads. The next HC will also be a Whitehaven grad. The current head principle at Whitehaven, Dr, Hunter, is a Whitehaven grad who once served as the HC for several years before he went into administration at Whitehaven.

That's just off of the top of my head. There are far more extenuating circumstances that have also assisted into making Whitehaven a powerful football program and school. I can't speak for White Station, but I would gather that over the years it has gone through some similar type of metemorphasis.

I'm sure there are others who could weigh in on this topic/question.

That's my 0.02 cents worth.

Good answer, kwc. Do you think Saulsberry will be at Whitehaven for the long haul (doesnt he have a son that is a junior)?

Good answer, kwc. Do you think Saulsberry will be at Whitehaven for the long haul (doesnt he have a son that is a junior)?

Yes coach Saulsberry has a son that is a junior who plays on the team. I've heard a rumor that coach Saulsberry may go into administration at some point. I've never discussed this with coach. It's something I read on here if my memory serves me correctly. I don't know what coach Saulsberry plans on doing in this regard. If going into administration is what's best for he and his family and the opportunity presents itself, I don't why he wouldn't.

Edited by kwc

In your opinion, what is stopping other schools such as Arlington and Brighton from breaking the hold Whitehaven and White Station seem to have on the rest of 6A in West TN? Better Coaching? Simple Geography?

From my perspective its real easy... First and foremost Arlington is a New School... They don't have the Pedigree or tradition of US... Brighton don't have the pedigree... They both likely got WAY MORE MONEY, but there are boys that live all over the Southern parts Memphis and certain parts of East Memphis that have wanted to wear the Black and Gold since they figured out what Whitehaven Football was. We have a Modern tradition that was started by Stan Collins and has been built upon since then until now. In the 80s coach had guys signing with Miami, LSU, Purdue, UT, etc. By time the 90s hit there were guys signing with UGA, Bama, Michigan, etc. It was only a matter of time before the caliber of Student-Athlete and Coaching staff were going to come together and do what was done in 2012. Don't get it twisted WE have always thought of ourselves as the Premier Program in Memphis. Not Melrose, East, White Station or anyone else. The Talent level that comes through Whitehaven is always top notch. The academics, in the Modern Era, is what lead Whitehaven to the point of being able to get that constant top notch talent... White Station took the Whitehaven model (they have superior academics) and used it once Coach T (Thompson) from Melrose left. The smart athletic kids from Orange Mound would CHOOSE Melrose over WS. Once Coach T left the strong hold of all those talented smart kid was slowly released. Parents started to send there talented boys to Spartan land... The main difference between US and White Station is they had no FOOTBALL Tradition from the 80s/ (They were/ARE a Basketball school) so when Major Wright started winning there in the Early 2000s there weren't a million Friday Night coaches that were sappin the program. When Devin Rutherford came in he was able to be the Great Coach that he is and pushed WS over the top in Year One (The Year he Beat the Red Dragon in 2009) while Da Haven was still getting things All the Way together, oh and the arrival of Mark Dodson, Jr. didn't hurt us.

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

I love KWC but Whitehaven has never been a doormat program... Pulling the record from 1990 thru 2013... We used to have a County School Nemesis known as G-Town. They ended a lot of our seasons... We didn't get those Red Devils in the Playoffs until I joined the Coaching Staff... 

'90- 9-2

'91- 9-3 (Curtis Alexander Years)

'92- 9-2

'93- 9-2

'94- 9-4

'95- 7-3

'96- 8-4

'97- 7-4

'98- 2-8 (My Freshman year, an anomaly season)

'99- 6-3

'00- 11-2 (We also had a bug a boo called the Quarter Finals/3rd Rd Curse for a while smh)

'01- 10-2 (MY Senior year, Darn G-Town smh)

'02- 6-6

'03- 7-4

'04- 5-5 (Saulsberry's First Season. Program changes and a small dip in talent caused the 3 seasons of  .500 Ball)

'05- 5-5 

'06- 6-4

'07- 10-2 (Ship Finally righted)

'08- 10-2

'09- 10-3

'10- 12-2 (Start of the Mark Jr. Years)

'11- 14-1

'12- 15-0 (STATE CHAMPS)

'13- 9-3

Just a sample. Minus Program changes and ONE anomaly season Da Haven had been consistently winning. I'm sure k-dub wasn't being demeaning but I just felt like setting the record str8   :mrgreen:

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

I love KWC but Whitehaven has never been a doormat program... Pulling the record from 1990 thru 2013... We used to have a County School Nemesis known as G-Town. They ended a lot of our seasons... We didn't get those Red Devils in the Playoffs until I joined the Coaching Staff... 

'90- 9-2

'92- 9-2

'93- 9-2

'94- 9-4

'95- 7-3

'96- 8-4

'97- 7-4

'99- 6-3

'00- 11-2 (We also had a bug a boo called the Quarter Finals/3rd Rd Curse for a while smh)

'02- 6-6

'03- 7-4

'04- 5-5 (Saulsberry's First Season. Program changes and a small dip of talent caused)

'05- 5-5 

'06- 6-4

'07- 10-2

'08- 10-2

'09- 10-3

'11- 14-1

'12- 15-0 (STATE CHAMPS)

'13- 9-3

Just a sample. Minus Program changes and ONE anomaly season Da Haven had been consistently winning. I'm sure k-dub wasn't being demeaning but I just felt like setting the record str8   :mrgreen:

It is interesting that you bring up Germantown. I did not think there would ever be a scenario where Germantown would cease to be a state championship contender but that is what has happened. Whitehaven has pretty much taken their place.

It is interesting that you bring up Germantown. I did not think there would ever be a scenario where Germantown would cease to be a state championship contender but that is what has happened. Whitehaven has pretty much taken their place.

G-Town can thank the building of Southwind High (They got the Majority of the Skill Players that G-Town NEED) for that as well as their suspect coaching choices IMHO.

From my perspective its real easy... First and foremost Arlington is a New School... They don't have the Pedigree or tradition of US... Brighton don't have the pedigree... They both likely got WAY MORE MONEY, but there are boys that live all over the Southern parts Memphis and certain parts of East Memphis that have wanted to wear the Black and Gold since they figured out what Whitehaven Football was. We have a Modern tradition that was started by Stan Collins and has been built upon since then until now. In the 80s coach had guys signing with Miami, LSU, Purdue, UT, etc. By time the 90s hit there were guys signing with UGA, Bama, Michigan, etc. It was only a matter of time before the caliber of Student-Athlete and Coaching staff were going to come together and do what was done in 2012. Don't get it twisted WE have always thought of ourselves as the Premier Program in Memphis. Not Melrose, East, White Station or anyone else. The Talent level that comes through Whitehaven is always top notch. The academics, in the Modern Era, is what lead Whitehaven to the point of being able to get that constant top notch talent... White Station took the Whitehaven model (they have superior academics) and used it once Coach T (Thompson) from Melrose left. The smart athletic kids from Orange Mound would CHOOSE Melrose over WS. Once Coach T left the strong hold of all those talented smart kid was slowly released. Parents started to send there talented boys to Spartan land... The main difference between US and White Station is they had no FOOTBALL Tradition from the 80s/ (They were/ARE a Basketball school) so when Major Wright started winning there in the Early 2000s there weren't a million Friday Night coaches that were sappin the program. When Devin Rutherford came in he was able to be the Great Coach that he is and pushed WS over the top in Year One (The Year he Beat the Red Dragon in 2009) while Da Haven was still getting things All the Way together, oh and the arrival of Mark Dodson, Jr. didn't hurt us.

Honest explanation that I have never heard before. Thanks for the insight.

'90- 9-2

'92- 9-2

'93- 9-2

'94- 9-4

'95- 7-3

'96- 8-4

'97- 7-4

'99- 6-3

'02- 6-6

'03- 7-4

'04- 5-5 (Saulsberry's First Season. Program changes and a small dip in talent caused the 3 seasons of  .500 Ball)

'05- 5-5 

'06- 6-4

'07- 10-2 (Ship Finally righted)

'08- 10-2

'09- 10-3

'11- 14-1

'12- 15-0 (STATE CHAMPS)

'13- 9-3

I love you too man!

Now, to the defense of my 'doormat' comment. I'm a class of 82' grad, along with Dr. Hunter, the current Head Principal. When Dr. Hunter and I first attended Whitehaven in the 79'-80' calendar year, prior to our arrival, Whitehaven had won a grand total of four (4) games in the prior four (4) years to the arrival of our first year in attendance. That's right ... they won a total of four games in four (4) years. During those days in Memphis, you attended high school your sophomore year because your freshman year was spent in junior high. The first two season after our arrival Whitehaven went 4-6, and then the next year we went 4-6. My senior year, Whitehaven went 6-4 under coach Collins. That was the start of the Whitehaven program's turn around because the following year Whitehaven went 9-3 or 10-2, I can't remember which because I was a freshman in college and I wasn't at home following the team as closely. Before coach Collins came to Lanier Jr. high and persuaded a group of freshman to attend Whitehaven and partake of the excellent academic program that was in place, Whitehaven was a doormat program at one point. That is now history, and I don't see Whitehaven falling back into the high school football doldrums.

Now, all of this was before BlackhavenSenator was a participant in the program, but I remember when Whitehaven lost to Mitchell by a score of 66 to 6. It was tough to come to school on the following Monday morning. That was embarrassing.

Edited by kwc

Too many other SEC schools that are Geographically Closer... Roll Tide lol

Not to mention that coach is trying to expose the young men to other venues as well. If he can get any of his guys to attend his alma mata, which is 'Big Blue', I think he will be happy with that as well. The SEC is really good, but the Big 10 is nothing to sneeze at either.