8th graders

lovinbball

I graduated from a district 9A school, and know all of those kids personally, no need to research.

In the grand scheme of girls basketball the district is not that good.

How many of them have D1 offers?

I'll wait......

So you are saying Abby Buckner, Hawkins, Wilkerson and Golden are not getting recruited by D1 schools. If so you are very wrong. Furthermore, how many single a districts do you think are better than 9A? I have to go eat but await your response. Call me crazy but I think 9A hasa great shot at sending a team to state for the next four years.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are saying Abby Buckner, Hawkins, Wilkerson and Golden are not getting recruited by D1 schools. If so you are very wrong. Furthermore, how many single a districts do you think are better than 9A? I have to go eat but await your response. Call me crazy but I think 9A hasa great shot at sending a team to state for the next four years.

Please give me your definition of "getting recruited."

Please give me your definition of "getting recruited."

We are talking mostly about freshman and sophomores here so I would define recruiting as a team taking interest in a player, attending summer ball games, getting letter from school stating their interest and informing them to initiate phone calls. School offering athlete to come and watch games and letting athlete know they cannot initiate contact until sept. 1st their junior year. Now please what is your definition and how many single a districts are better than 9a in your opinion. Maybe 2 or three that is all.

• 2 weeks later...

DCA 8th grader Allen is avg approx 14 ppg and 3.5 three pointers per. The team plays mostly 2 eight graders, 3 Frosh, 1 Jr and 1 sr. They will take their lumps this year but adding a 6'2" 7th grade post next year (8th grade next year) makes the Lady Cats future bright.

Allen is the centerpiece and a key player for Drew Madduxs AAU team. She's easily one of the top pure shooters in middle TN for 8th grade. Just my opinion.

Chicken or Egg???  Everyone gets so excited about the recruitment process which is mucked up by over egoed AAU coaches and parents who have big dreams for their child.  It is awesome that there are scholarship dollars out there, D1, D2, NAIA, etc.  The facts will speak for themselves in the end.  Many of the girls that are in the 8th, 9th & 10th grade that are "being recruited" (or more likely paying a lot money to go to "exposure" tournaments and get their head filled with non-sense) will never play at any level of college.  Injuries, burn out, boy friends, etc. knock about 30% - 50% of them out of the game.  The others will have a chance to play, but in most cases the reality is they will play 1 maybe 2 seasons in college at best.

God bless the girls that put in the work and are part of the discussion, but seriously the real value of all of this is the great memories we hope the girls make playing high school ball.  Kids need to enjoy this time, enjoy playing ball, "care" about high school and don't miss out on so much, for something that most likely will not happen.

Just my opinion having been through it as a player and a parent, and a coach...

Two offers from D1 that aren't committable and they cannot contact her first.

Whoever the guy ITT that said colleges were mailing offers to 8th graders is stretching the truth a bit.

haha... I said nothing about mailing offers... I know for FACT the kid has offers right now. There is a way of going about doing it legally....

Entering 9th grader, Micah Black, Rhea County, Guard. Outstanding shooter, very quick. Entering 8th grader, Brittany Singleton, Sequatchie, Guard. Good shooter, terrific passer and floor leader, roughly 5'9" already.

Brittany has grown to 5'10" and is having a very good season as the team's point guard. This is middle school competition but in six minute quarters they're good numbers: last night's game she tied the score with 2 FT in the last 45 seconds, in front of a totally packed homecoming crowd..after the opponent went up by two after an offensive rebound and putback, she calmly took the ball down the court, drove into the lane and shot over 2 defenders, again tying it with 3 seconds left and her team went on to win in overtime. She finished with 20 points, 11 rebounds, 7 blocks, 4 assists, 4 steals, has game highs of five three pointers, 15 rebounds, 9 steals (different games). Again that is middle school competition but she is one to keep an eye on in high school starting next year.

• 4 weeks later...