8th graders

lovinbball

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love basketball and have seen and played with some amazing players. Part of what made them great was how they interacted with their teammates. Sometimes threads like this can be very damaging, particularly to young players, because it places so much emphasis on stat lines and individual accomplishments. Statistically, most people won't play beyond high school. The lessons learned from basketball usually come from putting a group before an individual and fun times on trips, stupid stuff during practice, etc. I've also seen players lose the love of the game due to parental pressures and people in their ear telling them all sorts of nonsense. Please be careful when talking to and posting about young players.

I love basketball and have seen and played with some amazing players. Part of what made them great was how they interacted with their teammates. Sometimes threads like this can be very damaging, particularly to young players, because it places so much emphasis on stat lines and individual accomplishments. Statistically, most people won't play beyond high school. The lessons learned from basketball usually come from putting a group before an individual and fun times on trips, stupid stuff during practice, etc. I've also seen players lose the love of the game due to parental pressures and people in their ear telling them all sorts of nonsense. Please be careful when talking to and posting about young players.

Agreed! I hate to see kids not enjoy the best years of their lives by trying to live up to high expectations held onto by their parents or other influential people in their lives that may or may not match up with their individual goals. My advice is to USE basketball (if that is your goal) to get a good education, don't let basketball USE you! Basketball is fleeting, an education will set you up for success for the rest of your life!

Since you guys posted this directly after me I'd like to address your posts.

The player I posted about is not my child nor do I speak to her parents. It's absurd to make a correlation between acknowledging good play and placing too much pressure via a sports forum. It is equally absurd to suggest by posting results that it may somehow affect the interaction between said player and their teammates.

These players, for the most part, have had to deal with praise and pressure for many years. Some of their peers are usually jealous and sometimes mean spirited as young girls can be. The correlation between posts here and a player being a bad teammate or developing a loss of enjoyment from playing is a HUGE stretch to say the least.

The fact that you have gone on and on about an 8th grader playing in an extremely weak league makes you sound like a dad tooting his daughter's horn. I would venture to say that is what everyone on here was thinking as well.

This particular player may turn out to be a top recruit, but keep expectations in line. I know some parents in the past at said school who thought their daughter was all state before they hit HS and eventually the kid got burned out and lost interest. Also AAU is getting out if hand burning kids out.

You know what happens when you assume Bigchief.😳

For the record I thought this was about 8th grade players? Right?

I've coached MS basketball for many years and have seen the best Rutherford, Wilson, and Dickson have had the last 15 years. This kid is a better shooter and as good an athlete as any. Doesn't mean she's the next coming in basketball but she has skills/tools to work with.

Lastly Bigchief, Knowing what I know about Wilson County MS girls basketball I'm confident this player would be in the discussion as best player AND the HS coaches would love for her to play for them. Good kid, with good skills from a good family. She's got a long way to go but the foundation is there if she decides it's what she wants to do.

Edited by Playerscoach

I didn't assume anything <_<

If you have been around MS basketball that long then you realize that many who dominate middle school are the "early bloomers" who everyone else catches up to as they get older. Since I have been coaching high school for 25 years I have had plenty of opportunities  to see this first hand. Parents and "followers" can't understand why little junior is not still the superstar.

As the missing link also pointed out, that school has had multiple examples of phenoms at early ages that never went much further whether from burnout or just lack of development.

That being said, I have never seen the kid play. I hope she can live up to your expectations.

"The fact that you have gone on and on about an 8th grader playing in an extremely weak league makes you sound like a dad tooting his daughter's horn. I would venture to say that is what everyone on here was thinking as well."

That, by definition, is an assumption.ðŸ‘

I don't have expectations for her. I just see her ability at this point and, assuming she continues to work, she can be a pretty good HS player and possibly beyond.

Usually the reason kids excel at younger ages is due to physical talent and maturity. The physical and technical gap closes as kids get older for the most part.

Regardless the thread was about 8th graders. Some will develop, some will stop playing and others will be passed. It happens.

• 1 month later...

Allen was all district as an 8th grader and made 80 three pointers this season.

Yes the league is weak and her team wasn't competitive against very good teams. However, they will add a 6'3" 8th grade C to their starting lineup next season and will have two Freshmen, 1 soph and 1 Sr. They should be more competitive next season and beyond.

Regardless, hitting 80 threes against HS players when you're the best scorer on your team is admirable.