A/AA State Tournament

DIIA

I was at the greeneville - Madison game. Greeneville was just unlucky. They had two or three hit the crossbar. Madison had one real opportunity and they put in it in. Keeper had no chance.

I hate to hear that. We never seem to get any luck at the State Tournament. Thanks for the report. The semifinal game will be tough for Madison, but we'll see how it all plays out. 

I'll comment on the games I observed.

Greeneville vs. Madison

Greeneville dominated the 1st half and had about three great opportunities to put points on the board. Second half was more back and forth as both midfields tired/pressed forward somewhat. Greeneville again had about three really good chances, but hit the post two times.

Greeneville had a very fast defender who neutralized Madison's forward most of the game. But on the score, that defender was on the other side of the field. Madison's forward got by the G-ville defender and made a great shot. Greeneville almost tied a few minutes later as the ball bounced around Madison's goal.

Riverdale vs. Collierville

Collierville moved the ball around wonderfully. Their spacing and moving without the ball was tremendous. Looked like Riverdale started out conservative respecting Collierville's speed. Collierville got two early goals. Riverdale scored on a header (off a set piece I think).

Collierville scored a late goal to make it 3-1. Collierville had many other good opportunities with near misses.

CPA vs. Murf. Central

CPA really dominated this game. I thought this game might be more even, but it really was not. Central had several set pieces from long distance, but the CPA keeper came out and caught nearly everyone of them.

I did not see any of Hume-Fogg-Jackson NS or Signal Mtn vs. CAK games as they were on the other side of the complex.

Anybody care to give a summary of the CAK/Signal game?  Signal has not spent much (if any) time having to play from behind this year, but I kind of thought they would be able to equalize if they ever needed to.  I guess I was wrong.

I saw something in that game I never saw before. Signal pulled their goalie (ala Hockey) with about 4 minutes left. There was an open net. They brought on another offensive player who was technically the Goalie. He was wearing a penny. Almost worked as Signal had a few good chances. 

Nearly every guy I was next to said they have never seen anything like that before.

in the signal game they scored about 1:30 into the game on a crazy goal, midfield sent it over his head (hoping for someone to make a run) and goalie prepared for the bounce and it bounced off his hands and in. then (I thought it was an own goal) with 6:30 or so left in first half CAK scored. then a header early into second half to take lead. CAK dominated possession in this game for most part I thought. CAK looked like the better team to be honest.

I will also say the ref in signal game did a poor job in the game, never knew what, if any, would be called and let them play too much. after CAK scored 2nd goal they should have stopped the clock, because there was some sort of delay for about a minute or 2, and ref said he would keep time, but he ended it when scoreboard did even though there should have been another minute or so.