2014 9AAA

eers

Special teams should be a BIG weapon for the Bears this year. Have a place kicker who can consistently kick 55-60 yard field goals and a put kick offs 5-8 yards deep in the end zone. Then a punter who can kick 45-50 yard punts regularly with a 4.5 + hang time.

What weapons to have !

Scrimmage with Hillsboro today will be like a regular game going live on all special teams.

Go BEARS !

It's easy to have that when your special teams coach is doing some illegal recruiting camps on the campus of mj. But I guess that's how nowayout does it there at mj. That's neither here nor there,

Heard the mj scrimmage was good.................

Wc beat westmorland 7-2 tonight.

Edited by WCP

Ravenwood over Beech 28-7 in a 2 qtr scrimmage. Beech looked great in the first qtr with 3 good drives (TD, missed FG, turnover on downs) but then Ravenwood got the zone read going, scored a TD then blocked a punt for a TD and then scored 2 more TD's in the last 4 min of the 2nd qtr. Jefferson caught 3 passes, 1 for about a 20 yd TD.

Ravenwood over Beech 28-7 in a 2 qtr scrimmage. Beech looked great in the first qtr with 3 good drives (TD, missed FG, turnover on downs) but then Ravenwood got the zone read going, scored a TD then blocked a punt for a TD and then scored 2 more TD's in the last 4 min of the 2nd qtr. Jefferson caught 3 passes, 1 for about a 20 yd TD.

Good assessment of Beech/Ravenwood.  The Bucs are deep and talented at RB, still searching at QB and receiver. Several drops didn't help a group of very inexperienced QB's fighting for the position.  Beech was very sloppy with lots of penalties, TO's and a blocked punt.  At least 3 or 4 times lining up 2 feet offsides on D.  Not that tough to take a peak at the football occasionally.  O line looked pretty good opening up holes, but inconsistent QB play/penalties/drops got them behind the chains quite a bit and killed drives in the second half of the scrimmage.  Lot of work to do for the Bucs.

Edited by tandem

Beech was flagged several times for "targeting".  I understand the intent of the rule but question high school official's ability to get this one right.  On one particular play a Beech defender was flagged for a hit on a ball carrier that was called targeting while on the same play a Ravenwood blocker absolutely de-cleated a Beech defender from the blind side who never saw him coming.  I'm old school and thought it was a great block, but what's the difference in a defender getting blind sided with a helmet to helmet hit and a receiver/ball carrier getting hit the same way.  Is one targeting and the other not? I have a feeling this rule will have high school fans pulling their hair out this year.  I'm afraid the game of football that we have known and loved for so long is slowly on it's way out.  My grandkids may only be allowed to play two hand touch.

Beech was flagged several times for "targeting". I understand the intent of the rule but question high school official's ability to get this one right. On one particular play a Beech defender was flagged for a hit on a ball carrier that was called targeting while on the same play a Ravenwood blocker absolutely de-cleated a Beech defender from the blind side who never saw him coming. I'm old school and thought it was a great block, but what's the difference in a defender getting blind sided with a helmet to helmet hit and a receiver/ball carrier getting hit the same way. Is one targeting and the other not? I have a feeling this rule will have high school fans pulling their hair out this year. I'm afraid the game of football that we have known and loved for so long is slowly on it's way out. My grandkids may only be allowed to play two hand touch.

I am 100% in agreement Tandem. I saw that rule used very loosely last year and saw some that should have been called that were not. A great block is a great block as long as the player hits the defender correctly ( shoulder pads, helmet and what not in the correct place).

Sounds like Beech can run on about anybody but have trouble holding on to the ball and dumb penalties. Those Van Zant boys are gonna be tough to stop.

BKisler, where is your Mt Juliet view from the scrimmage with Hillsboro. I know it wasn't pretty but Hillsboro is a really good team this year.

For the Targeting rule- It is pre-season for the refs too and they may be calling more than normal now but it is a hard one to get right. I understand the intent but not sure about the execution especially at the HS level.

Hillsboro is very good-QB was accurate and they have a lot of size and speed.

MJ Offense still not consistent, dropped passes (including a TD pass) and have got to fix the turnovers.

Defense had a few players out but did not play as bad as the score indicated, one of the early Hillsboro TD's came on a safety tripping-

Overall MJ still has work to do in practices and the remaining scrimmage vrs Clarksville this Friday

-16 days till the Season begins-hope everyone avoids the injury bug during the last two weeks leading up to the season

I am 100% in agreement Tandem. I saw that rule used very loosely last year and saw some that should have been called that were not. A great block is a great block as long as the player hits the defender correctly ( shoulder pads, helmet and what not in the correct place).

Sounds like Beech can run on about anybody but have trouble holding on to the ball and dumb penalties. Those Van Zant boys are gonna be tough to stop.

BKisler, where is your Mt Juliet view from the scrimmage with Hillsboro. I know it wasn't pretty but Hillsboro is a really good team this year.

Wave, I wasn't able to make the scrimmage ; but did watch film early this morning.

Hillsboro is everything people say they are. Big, fast and QB is very good. MJ offense really never got on track. Dropped passes, lineman running into each other , blocks missed....everything but turn overs. The Bears had 1 int and no fumbles. There were some good drives and MJ was rotating QB's about every series. Just inconsistent. I think the O will be much improved when the season starts. Hillsboro is a very tough team to play especially when you don't have any time to game plan for them.

Defense did have a couple of people missing due to injuries. They were on the field a majority of the time. For the most part they did a good job of containing the speed of the Burros by not allowing any big runs. I think there was only one run of over 10 yards. Getting off field on third down was a problem at times. You can see the potential this D has. If safety doesn't trip; H'boro doesn't get their long score. He was in great position to break up the pass. I thought linebackers played very well.

Plenty of work to do and a great learning experience for the Bears. This will benefit them as they get into the season.

Anxious to see how they handle this adversity going to Clarksville Friday.

Go Bears !