District 4A 2014-2015

Cookevegas3

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The District is pretty much wide open. I think the top four teams in no particular order are Coalfield-Oakdale-Jellico-OZ. Wartburg is close to cracking that top 4. They will be coached up by Layne. With the tournament being played on a neutral site this year it's up for grabs and should be an exciting tournament.  OZ has good size and experience, Jellico has the top player in district in Bowlin, Coalfield has good young talent, Oakdale returns plenty of experience. I think Oneida & Sunbright would have to be underdogs to claim a title.

Jellico with nice early season district win over fairly solid Oakdale team last night. The win gives them a good early jump on the district. Plenty to go though.

BOLD STATEMENT: If Oakdale learns to play defense they will run through the district. They have blown out Midway (Region foe) twice this year. They've been scoring 80+ points consistently. With that being said, they scored 83 (I think) on Jellico and lost. Any of their first 6 players can score 20+ on any night. They HAVE to learn to play defense though. They can beat the lower teams in the district by outscoring them, but to win it all they have to be able to stop opponents.

BOLD STATEMENT: If Oakdale learns to play defense they will run through the district. They have blown out Midway (Region foe) twice this year. They've been scoring 80+ points consistently. With that being said, they scored 83 (I think) on Jellico and lost. Any of their first 6 players can score 20+ on any night. They HAVE to learn to play defense though. They can beat the lower teams in the district by outscoring them, but to win it all they have to be able to stop opponents.

Could be the case....this district is pretty weak, but I'm not sure Midway is much of a measuring stick. Coalfield beat them with a ton of players missing .... Midway's only wins are barely beating sunbright and mt pisgah. Midway is a candidate for bottom dweller in that region. To me, the questions are: can layne coach wburg into the top 3, Or is the talent just too low.?...And how good will the football players make CField in a couple weeks? If neither of them are a lot better in a month, then Oakdale will be in the mix for top 3.

Could be the case....this district is pretty weak, but I'm not sure Midway is much of a measuring stick. Coalfield beat them with a ton of players missing .... Midway's only wins are barely beating sunbright and mt pisgah. Midway is a candidate for bottom dweller in that region. To me, the questions are: can layne coach wburg into the top 3, Or is the talent just too low.?...And how good will the football players make CField in a couple weeks? If neither of them are a lot better in a month, then Oakdale will be in the mix for top 3.

I learned last year to not count out Wartburg lol. It'll definitely be tougher for them this year, but I can't automatically write them off. I do think Coalfield's football players make a huge difference. The Carter games aren't really relevant in my opinion (they score 100+ on everybody lol). I like Oakdale if they learn how to stop people. Caywood still had 26 on them last night, and Bolin abused them last week.

Bulldogqueen, I saw Oneida play once this year at the Oliver Springs Tournament, I don't care who was coaching them the results would be the same.  Observation, they have NO scorers.  I will say the coach seemed to be into the game and they did play hard til the very end, just no leadership from players and scoring, that's hard to coach, you either got it or you don't.

I think the District will be pretty much a 5 team race between Oakdale, Jellico, Coalfield, OZ, & Wartburg. I don't think Oneida has enough scoring to challenge over the course of a 12 game district schedule although they might surprise someone along the way. Sunbright will be challenged to win a district game with limited talent. Jellico has two nice wins to open up district play at Oakdale and handled Wartburg at home handily. Oakdale has a nice starting 5 offensively but with their style of play defensively they give up easy baskets which could hurt them over the stretch of district play (Personally I think they press to much). OZ has good potential but are struggling to put up wins right now (They are tough to beat at home). Coalfield has a nice team that will challenge everyone in the district (team will get better through the course of the season) and Wartburg is limited in talent right now but with Coach Layne calling the shots will grind it out and will be a tough out come tournament time. Should be a very fun and competitive regular season district schedule to determine seeding for the tournament.

There haven't been been enough to district games to completely judge most teams, but OZ at 1-10 seems like a team that won't be coming together. Plus, they seem poised to drop two more vs Jackson co and harriman this week....followed by trip to jellico. That's ALOT of games and they've been pretty much full strength because football wasn't much of a factor.... This hoops team looks a lot like the football team so far.... And that's NOT a good thing. If they fall to 1-13 before the break....it's gonna be tough sledding for them. (And has been)

There haven't been been enough to district games to completely judge most teams, but OZ at 1-10 seems like a team that won't be coming together. Plus, they seem poised to drop two more vs Jackson co and harriman this week....followed by trip to jellico. That's ALOT of games and they've been pretty much full strength because football wasn't much of a factor.... This hoops team looks a lot like the football team so far.... And that's NOT a good thing. If they fall to 1-13 before the break....it's gonna be tough sledding for them. (And has been)

OZ could be good but they have to many kids that play ME BALL and not good team ball