Alcoa @ Maryville

SweetScience

Classification doesn't mean anything in terms of how many players Alcoa has vs. how many Maryville has. Of course Rankin could play guys on just one side of the ball, BUT, that would keep him from playing his best athletes in certain positions. I guess technically speaking, number of players isn't the issue; number of ATHLETES is the issue.

Having said that, Maryville definitely runs the better system, and they have 1500 kids to choose from, so finding actual ATHLETES isn't as hard as it is at Alcoa. We have a lot of players, but not a whole lot of ATHLETES.

I think GQ does this in some positions by developing less experienced player to keep a player from having to go both ways.  A fully rested 2nd teamer is better than most 1st teamers who have been playing both ways.  I guess that comes down to coaching philosophy.  I get your point about number of athletes but I think Maryville does a great job of developing players more than just having a roster full of great athletes. 

I think GQ does this in some positions by developing less experienced player to keep a player from having to go both ways. A fully rested 2nd teamer is better than most 1st teamers who have been playing both ways. I guess that comes down to coaching philosophy. I get your point about number of athletes but I think Maryville does a great job of developing players more than just having a roster full of great athletes.

Indeed, I wish Rankin would develop younger players more and let first teamers rest, but that's his call. And you know GQ: if Rankin puts a 2nd teamer in there, GQ will wisely exploit him as many times as possible, and Maryville wisely goes no-huddle so it's a lot harder to sub him out. It's football, you play to win, so that's exactly what GQ should do if Rankin subs like you're saying.

Fellas and rebelwoman: enjoyed last night's game-went like i expected-murvil  had toooooooo much in da trenches than da naders!!! good luck to alcoa and the rest of the season.  Can we please return the line drive punts at midfield and tak'em to the house?!!!! yes i understand the "safe"  mentality and let's not screw up the field position.  as good as our d is, start working on punt returns and helping the O out with an extremely short field.  instead of starting drives at our own 45 why not start at the opponents 40 or 30 or 15? heaven forbid we return a punt for a touchdown-that'd be crazy.  i remember back in da day murvil used to have either a punt return or ko return for a td just about every game.  if i'm coaching against murvil and we are punting-i'm gonna fake it cuz they're constantly running punt safe. and yes i know-people are gonna call me crazy cuz i'm complaining bout special teams-but it's like we are wasting a play-just saying.  

Great Job last night Red Rebels!!!!! Wish I could take all my kids to da black hole and show'em what a high school football game should look like-the folks in western carolina could learn a lot from da folks in east tn!!!!! made my night to see the McCoy's and Archie Anderson!!!! Go Red Rebels!!!!! Move them Chains!!!!!! and PLEASE: Take it to the House!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Come on RR, Alcoa is like Maryville's little brother. We usually get beat up by you but we still fight anyway. When you beat us you want to beat us bad then you want to laugh and make fun of us and tell us you beat us bad. When we point out the obvious like how much bigger you are or you have an advantage you don't like it. You tell us we are just making excuses and we should just be quiet and take our beating. Honestly, thats just not that fun. I had hoped we could compete better but you guys were just too much for us. Now stop telling us we are making excuses because we don't loose the way you want us to.

You DID lose the way I want you to.....BIG!

Indeed, I wish Rankin would develop younger players more and let first teamers rest, but that's his call. And you know GQ: if Rankin puts a 2nd teamer in there, GQ will wisely exploit him as many times as possible, and Maryville wisely goes no-huddle so it's a lot harder to sub him out. It's football, you play to win, so that's exactly what GQ should do if Rankin subs like you're saying.

Folks may not realize it but murvil doesn't have 22 equally good athletes playing on offense and defense. Every year they choose to play the kids one way. I'm pretty sure some of those front seven on defense could help on offense, and some of those guys on offense may be better than those on defense. But they make a commitment to do it that way. The kids practice both ways, just in case they must play both ways in a game. Not saying it's the best or only way. Alcoa has been extremely successful over the years. And I hope they bring home another gold ball this year.