Alcoa @ Maryville

SweetScience

Deion the sad thing is your post applies to several games I have seen over the years at different locations and different classifications. It is not a Maryville/Alcoa problem. It is a T$$AA problem and it is an abomination from Memphis to Mountain City.

Again, this was a Knoxville crew. What possible motivation would they have to call the game for maryville, everyone's most hated team? 

Those calls were right on the money last night. I watched most of that game with field glasses and saw everyone of them and a few that weren't called. Number #2 got hurt on a play that there should of been an ejection of a player but nothing happened. 

Correct on the post. #2 was hit illegally.

My thawts on tha gaim...... :popcorneater:

a. Jaylen Burgess iz a stud

2. Az good a deefencive effurt az eye've seed att 825 inn a while

3. Showt out two Cam Goss-Russell on steppin' upp a playin a good gaim....A star ov tha fewchure

d. Eye thank Coach Ellis, az allways, haz jist abowt figgered out hiz OL.....Looked emprooved ovur weak zeerow

5. Agin #90 iz jist killin' tha bawl on punts and kickofts

6. Ole #43 iz comin' on at RB....Runs hard, haz good spead, and laid sum good blocks fer #28

gee. Hoap #2 iz ok.....He's a vallubull mimburr two this teem

8. Eye look fer Alcoee two winn out

eye. Steal thangs two kleen up and emprove on

10. Knotts West weal bee rested upp and waitin' on us and we haiv one less day two prepair. Bettur brang tha "A" gaim, caws tha onlee thang faistur thain #5 and #7 fer West, is tha Word ov tha Good Lord.....

One of the best receivers MHS has is #13, just a sophomore. Will play more as season goes on. #6 Brock is a very consistent underrated wideout. Good size, good instincts. 

I think that his excuses might matter in some games.  He has a lot of kids on that bench, but the real talent doesn't go that deep, IMO.  Also, a lot of those kids are freshmen.  So, I can understand his excuses.  With that being said, the excuses he gave didn't make any difference in this game.  Maryville dominated their starters from the word go.  Getting tired or it being too hot had nothing to do with Alcoa losing this game.  It had everything with Maryville being bigger, faster, and stronger and with Rankin not being able to come up with a game plan to move the ball against the MHS defense.  Had this game been later in the year then the score would have only been worse because the MHS offense will only get stronger as the season goes on.

Spoke with an Alcoa coach this morning. He stated fatigue had nothing to do with it. He said Alcoa just doesn't have the numbers. He also said that MHS really was physical in every way much more than his team. Also said officiating was definitely not an issue. He said when RANKIN GOT THE SIDE LINE WARNING, HE WAS TRYING TO FIRE UP HIS TEAM, NOT CRITICIZE THE OFFICIALS. I not so sure about that. I wasn't close enough to hear Rankin, but through the lenses he was certainly animated. 

Again I ask at what point do we take our starters out? In the 1q after it was 42-0 with only 11 offensive plays? Then when we do get a good team our starters can't go the distance!! But hey call it what you want I'll take it. We didn't score a point in the 4th let that sink in... A starter did not play past the 2nd q most were done with 4 min left in the 2nd q. So tell me what quarles would have did diff? Tell his players not to recover fumbles or get int returns? Oh know he would have takin knees on 1st n 2nd down in the 2nd q n punted it on 3rd downs right? Think about the disrespect *stephen a voice* that is too the other program. You are saying they are so lame that we might as well only play a half lol. Coach black is one of the classiest men I know. It's hard not to score 80 when teams are that bad. They can't stop a dive up the middle and they know it's coming? We only completed 5 passes none in the second half and 4 were tds... No running up of the score happened.

Way too long. Didn't read it either. 

Correct on the post. #2 was hit illegally.

I just rewatched the play. It was absolutely clean and was a routine football play. #2 was the lead blocker for 28. #2 initiated contact with #30 for Alcoa between the hash and numbers. After contact #2 reached for his shoulder and made it to the sidelines before he collapsed for medical care. He was not hit out of bounds. Unfortunate injury for a guy who plays hard all the time and has been very unfortunate with injuries in his career. Hopefully, just a stinger and he will be back next week. Prayers for #2.

Congrats to Maryville. They jumped on us early and we couldn't respond. We made several mental mistakes and got flagged. Those things kill momentum. However, I would like to see the number of flags and yardage comparison for each school. Anyone have the stat?

I saw Coach Rankin's quote in the paper about his kids playing both ways in 90 degree heat and Maryville kids playing one way. I have to agree that can take a toll on an athlete.