Alcoa @ Maryville

SweetScience

Rankin's 6A vs 3A comments are true when you think about it. A great 6A team is going to dominate a great 3A team most years. There are exceptions, but the numbers and results don't lie.

The problem is that the comments coming immediately after losing do sound like sour grapes. Rankin needs a filter sometimes with his comments but he just speaks his mind.

There is no question that it is true in most instances.  However, it was not the case in this game.  Alcoa typically has just as much, if not more, more starting talent than Maryville.  The difference usually shows up late in the 3rd and 4th quarters when there is depth issues for Alcoa.  However, that was not the case this year.  Marvyille just laid the wood to them and proved to be better from the word go. 

Alcoa is a special 3A school.  Despite their small enrollment numbers they have more talent than most 4 or 5A, and many 6A, teams in their starting 22.  That talent is why they dominate 3A.  They have more across their starting 22 than any other 3A team.  So, they use their starters and roll everyone in 3A.  When they have to play a full game against a bigger team the depth becomes an issue.  Again, last night... depth was not the issue.  Maryville was just better in every facet.

Why do we pretend this is a big game when there is such a difference in classification? MARYVUL needs to get a true rival. Much respect to Alcoa for pushing them every year with less resources. Don't take this the wrong way - the reb's knock out a 7AAA team every year in the playoff's and I respect the history, championships and tradition. BUT the truth is the reb's play a soft schedule year after year.

Yes a very soft schedule by opening up with 2 defending state champions and a 5A runner up. 

NOT including special teams, I guess the numbers will be more like 27 vs 19. Murvil will rotate 2-3 on each side of the ball while Alcoa usually has a few play both ways. Murvil could gain a few more bodies actually on the field if you factor in their refs. Alcoa may get another body if their old ball coach spends his normal time 5-10 yds on the field working the refs.

I hope its a big crowd.

Officials will be from Knox County.  NO dog in the fight.

Honestly i just do not understand why Fulton then does not schedule teams that would be a challenge to play. Do you not think the starters would like to stay in more than one quarter? That's what I do not understand about Fulton . They send their middle school over to nashville to play MBA and BA yet the varsity plays the worst early season schedule I have seen for a good team. Liberty tech was whipped by BA last night but have 4 of the top team in their divisions on their schedule ... I just do not get it

Again I ask at what point do we take our starters out? In the 1q after it was 42-0 with only 11 offensive plays? Then when we do get a good team our starters can't go the distance!! But hey call it what you want I'll take it. We didn't score a point in the 4th let that sink in... A starter did not play past the 2nd q most were done with 4 min left in the 2nd q. So tell me what quarles would have did diff? Tell his players not to recover fumbles or get int returns? Oh know he would have takin knees on 1st n 2nd down in the 2nd q n punted it on 3rd downs right? Think about the disrespect *stephen a voice* that is too the other program. You are saying they are so lame that we might as well only play a half lol. Coach black is one of the classiest men I know. It's hard not to score 80 when teams are that bad. They can't stop a dive up the middle and they know it's coming? We only completed 5 passes none in the second half and 4 were tds... No running up of the score happened.

There is no question that it is true in most instances. However, it was not the case in this game. Alcoa typically has just as much, if not more, more starting talent than Maryville. The difference usually shows up late in the 3rd and 4th quarters when there is depth issues for Alcoa. However, that was not the case this year. Marvyille just laid the wood to them and proved to be better from the word go.

Alcoa is a special 3A school. Despite their small enrollment numbers they have more talent than most 4 or 5A, and many 6A, teams in their starting 22. That talent is why they dominate 3A. They have more across their starting 22 than any other 3A team. So, they use their starters and roll everyone in 3A. When they have to play a full game against a bigger team the depth becomes an issue. Again, last night... depth was not the issue. Maryville was just better in every facet.

Alcoa is a special 3A school and there are occasional years when Alcoa's top 5-10 players or so are better than Maryville's but rarely if ever are their top 25-30 players better......2009 was an exception.

Agree on last night, not a good time for Rankin to play the 6A vs 3A card since game was decided in first quarter before depth took its toll. Maryville has been much, much better than Alcoa the last two years. The burden is on Alcoa to get better to make this game more competitive or else this series runs the risk of becoming strictly a social event for the community, not a serious football game.