Ridgeway @ Henry County

MSURacer

Let me help you then Facts. It's a perception issue. It revolves around race. There is no simple answer to it but it affects the "City Schools" that are comprised of schools that have a student body that is predominately black/african american. The mindset is that it is unsafe for a predominately white program to visit a predominately black program in Memphis.

That's the issue in a nutshell.

White Station is located in the Poplar Corridor. It's not percieved to be a "Black" school. It's more diverse with 50/50 if anything. It's student body isn't predominately african american. However, the field they play on, the Fairgronds, is a stone throw away from Melrose stadium, which is in the Orange Mound, an old black community. Even though Ridgeway is located in east Memphis, it's student body is comprised of mostly african americans and therefore it's looked upon as a "Black School" in Mermphis. Therefore, comming to Memphis to play Ridgeway is something you shouldn't do unless you have to because of playoff situations.

THAT's the perception. Whitehaven has to deal with this issue. Memphis East has to deal with this issue. So on and so forth.

This isn't the main reason HC doesn't play RW in Memphis. $$$$ for both teams is the reason. The gate $$$$ for RW & HC is much much higher when played in Paris over Memphis. KWC, have you been to a game at HC? If not, the crowd would maybe be half the size in Memphis and most of those would still be HC fans. HC fans aren't afraid to come to the inner city for a game. Edited by SEC1rules

This isn't the main reason HC doesn't play RW in Memphis. $$$$ for both teams is the reason. The gate $$$$ for RW & HC is much much higher when played in Paris over Memphis. KWC, have you been to a game at HC? If not, the crowd would maybe be half the size in Memphis and most of those would still be HC fans. HC fans aren't afraid to come to the inner city for a game.

Edited by FactsOnly

As a black Henry Countian who has lived in Memphis (Higbee off Central and worked on Mt. Moriah) I can say with experience- Memphis isn't that bad. It's no Detroit (Another place I've lived.) There are still convenient stores in Memphis without bars and plexiglass.   

Neither the team nor its fans has any concerns about their safety if they came to Memphis to play anybody. With Henry County being a rural place, most fans are capable of taking care of any business as needed. 

Ridgeway and other Memphis teams chose to play at Henry County for the larger monetary split they will get by playing before a packed house.  

GO BIG RED!

I would say Henry County had a tough schedule last year as the regular season had them playing 3 teams who went to the playoffs. One being Ridgeway and one a semi-final game against Clarksville Northeast and saw HC go undefeated. No pushover schedule. I will say Friday night is going to be one of the best games that both HC and Ridgeway will play this regular season.

Some improvement but the flash flooding is going to greatly affect our speed.  Probably have to rely on some trickery tomorrow night to stay in the game.

are u boys playing today!?!?!? if so im coming up

flooding here in jackson today...i think tmrw is suppose to be ok for us

i expect u boys to pull out the victory...

headed to MUS tmrw evening...i feel like theyre much the same as ur Patriots...gona be one heck of a test...hopefully we can find a way to win and help u guys out with SOS for postseason

and radio just confirmed ur statement...flashflood watch for tmrw...maybe well play saturday with the big boys

Edited by dhstennis