Big Games in Memphis - Week 3 Games

kwc

Not much talk about the Central vs Whitehaven game.... Are the BHZers scared or worried...??? I've been waiting around all week to read that thread but it's nowhere to be found... I think it's gonna be the best game in Memphis this week... And MUS and Liberty/East and White Station being tied for #2....

GarciaD:

It's the Commercial Appeal's GAME OF THE WEEK. Last Friday, 88.5 FM featured the White Station vs Whitehaven game on the air as the game of the week. Tonight, 88.5 FM is featuring the Whitehaven vs Central game on the air as the game of the week. (I've been told by 88.5 staff that they don't like to repeat any school on the air during the regular season, so that they can feature as many schools as possible ... this game warrants another broadcast of a Whitehaven game DURING the regular season ... that should be duly noted) The Commecial Appeal has Central ranked as the #5 team in it's Dandy Dozen and Whitehaven is ranked #1, as it has been all season. This game is is very important to determine seeding for the post season.

IT IS A VERY BIG GAME!

Last year's game came down to the wire. Whitehaven's then sophomore, but now junior, highly recruited cornerback, Donte Vaughn, broke up a last second pass play in the endzone to preserve a very close and highly contested game against a VERY GOOD Central team. This year's game is going to be another thriller! Coach Leonard Crutchfield has brought a winning attitude to Central and they are not the doormats of yesteryear.

I'll be in the stands!

Edited by kwc

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BGIM - Week 3 (The Tumultuous Twelve)

Friday's Games: (September 12, 2014)

Game 2: Murfreesboro Oakland 35, Arlington 3

Game 3: Covington 14, Brighton 19

Game 4: Central 12, Whitehaven 15

Game 5: West Memphis 7, CBHS 42

Game 6: Collierville 15, Cordova 0

Game 7: East 28, White Station 27

Game 8: St. Georges 22, ECS 45

Game 9: Tipton-Rosemark Aca. 21, FACS 42

Game 10: MUS 30, Liberty Tech 12

Game 11: Munford 13, Millington 41

Game 12: Ridgeway 22, Henry County 15

A few comments on Friday's games:

MUS once again beats a bigger more athletic team with a combination of (superior) teamwork, discipline and execution.  So what else isn't new?  This should have been and could have been a "barn burner" but in the 1st quarter a Liberty TO inside the 10 on a punt led to an MUS TD and two 15 yd personal foul penalties sustained another MUS TD drive.  LM's Bush lived up to his stud billing but LM couldn't dig out of that 17-0 1st quarter deficit which grew to 24-0 in the 2nd.

On the other hand, MUS disappointingly had 3 first downs inside the 10 which ended in FGs, but the LM defense deserves credit.  They will have a very good season.  Having played both MUS and Brentwood Academy - 2 years in a row now - is very gutsy and should pay dividends later.  Only other public school that schedules that tough is White Station.  Kudos to both.

A word to the wise: Don't EVER bet against MUS unless they are playing S Panola, Brentwood Academy or Ensworth UNLESS I advise you otherwise. And certainly don't bet on them losing to a team that doesn't exist ( e.g. CARLTON McKinley). 

Whitehaven, Central, East and White Station all showed themselves to be playoff worthy.  Let's just hope WS's ridiculously tough schedule doesn't cost them a trip.

Finally, hats off to all the lamebrains who picked West Memphis over CBHS.  Guess the frequent downgrading criticism of the Bros by pack leader KWC greyed your white matter.  Special kudos to the guy (you know who you are) who also picked Germantown over CBHS.  You are the current leader for the "Lobotomy of the Season" award.

BGIM Standings after Week 2:

1) olddevil ………………………...… 27-5 ... 0.844 (84.4%)

t-2) BARTLETTHSGRAD04 …..…. 26-6 … 0.813 (81.3%)

t-2) Cardsfan ………………….…… 26-6

4) kwc ………....…………………..…. 25-7 ... 0.781 (78.1%)

t-5) Havengrad04 ……………..…… 24-8 ... 0.750 (75%)

t-5) dannyq ……………………..….. 24-8

t-7) TNHSFOOTBALLFAN ……..… 22-10 … 0.688 (68.8%)

t-7) Rob_M ……………………..….. 22-10

t-7) pgskinred …………………..….. 22-10

10) BigDave1967 ……………...….. 12-6 … 0.667 (66.7%)*

11) BlackhavenSenator ……...…… 19-13 … 0.591 (59.1%)

toinemac and dhsennis have only participated in Week 0.

wingman10 and dou have only participated in Week 1.

* = only participated in Week 0 and Week 1

KWC, I only missed week 0. Thanks.

A few comments on Friday's games:

MUS once again beats a bigger more athletic team with a combination of (superior) teamwork, discipline and execution.  So what else isn't new?  This should have been and could have been a "barn burner" but in the 1st quarter a Liberty TO inside the 10 on a punt led to an MUS TD and two 15 yd personal foul penalties sustained another MUS TD drive.  LM's Bush lived up to his stud billing but LM couldn't dig out of that 17-0 1st quarter deficit which grew to 24-0 in the 2nd.

On the other hand, MUS disappointingly had 3 first downs inside the 10 which ended in FGs, but the LM defense deserves credit.  They will have a very good season.  Having played both MUS and Brentwood Academy - 2 years in a row now - is very gutsy and should pay dividends later.  Only other public school that schedules that tough is White Station.  Kudos to both.

A word to the wise: Don't EVER bet against MUS unless they are playing S Panola, Brentwood Academy or Ensworth UNLESS I advise you otherwise. And certainly don't bet on them losing to a team that doesn't exist ( e.g. CARLTON McKinley). 

Whitehaven, Central, East and White Station all showed themselves to be playoff worthy.  Let's just hope WS's ridiculously tough schedule doesn't cost them a trip.

Finally, hats off to all the lamebrains who picked West Memphis over CBHS.  Guess the frequent downgrading criticism of the Bros by pack leader KWC greyed your white matter.  Special kudos to the guy (you know who you are) who also picked Germantown over CBHS.  You are the current leader for the "Lobotomy of the Season" award.

Good ole owlbooster showing up looking to serve a little Hot Crow  :mrgreen:

Game 1: Fairley vs Trezevant @ Melrose Stadium

Purple Bears are on a mission this season.

Trezevant by 16

Game 2: Murfreesboro Oakland @ Arlington

The Pariots have gotten their fair share of West Tenn Ws this season haven't they. It continues Friday.

Oakland by 3

Game 3: Covington @ Brighton

I'll go with the school with the pedigree.

Covington by 6

Game 4: Central @ Whitehaven

Central has good size and a great Athlete at QB, with that said tho...

RESPECT DA HAVEN

Game 5: West Memphis @ CBHS

This will be my last week picking the Purple Wave should they lose.

CBHS by 3

Game 6: Collierville @ Cordova

Collierville by 7

Game 7: East vs White Station @ Melrose Stadium

This will be a fierce 16AAA battle. WS has easily played the toughest 3 game scheduled in the area with Ridgeway and MUS being Close runner-ups. I think WS finally gets off the snide... Not so fast my friend.

East by 3

Game 8: St. Georges @ ECS

SMH

St. George's by 3

Game 9: Tipton-Rosemark Aca. @ FACS

SMDH

FACS by 3

Game 10: MUS @ Liberty Tech

MUS by 13

Game 11: Munford @ Millington (M & M Bowl)

Did Munford get good all of a sudden?

Millington by 24

Game 12: Ridgeway @ Henry County

This is a TOUGH one to pick, but I'm gonna be a Homer and ride with Conard the Road Runners' QB

Ridgeway by 2

Obviously my complaints about the SMALL Privates continue to fall on deaf ears   ^_^

I did MUCH Better this week :thumb:

Hope that the Purple Bears get it done so I can STUNT on you folks

Game 2: Murfreesboro Oakland 35, Arlington 3

Game 3: Covington 14, Brighton 19

Game 4: Central 12, Whitehaven 15

Game 5: West Memphis 7, CBHS 42

Game 6: Collierville 15, Cordova 0

Game 7: East 28, White Station 27

Game 8: St. Georges 22, ECS 45

Game 9: Tipton-Rosemark Aca. 21, FACS 42

Game 10: MUS 30, Liberty Tech 12

Game 11: Munford 13, Millington 41

Game 12: Ridgeway 22, Henry County 15

I have a hard time reading MUS this year. Early season loss to BA was quite bad not BA was also at full strength minus prince momadu who was their staring running back and safety. Big loss there but BA is deep in that position.

I suspect MUS is better than I imagined. BA is out 6 starters as of this week even though I have heard 2 are back . Dawson know could be back in time for the Ensworth game and jordan james should be back as well. BA will need them

FWIW:

Liberty Magnet plays AT MUS not the other way around. MUS wins a close game - both teams probably in

the 20s. NO WAY does LM lay 49 on the Owls as one predicted. MUS hasn't coughed up that many points

this century. during which the only team to post over 40 has been Brentwood Academy, the last time in 2012

when they still lost to MUS 46-45. BA is a common opponent this year. MUS lost at home to BA 31-14, due largely to BA's stellar QB Knox, who did NOT play when they beat LM 43-19 at home. The BA coach said LM was "physically impressive." Any way you size it up, this should be a toss up and maybe the best game in Memphis this weekend.

Gratuitously, any talk about "small privates" (see previous posts) is politically incorrect and best left to bedroom gossip. In 2014 it is generally accepted that size does not matter......

I have a hard time reading MUS this year. Early season loss to BA was quite bad not BA was also at full strength minus prince momadu who was their staring running back and safety. Big loss there but BA is deep in that position.

I suspect MUS is better than I imagined. BA is out 6 starters as of this week even though I have heard 2 are back . Dawson know could be back in time for the Ensworth game and jordan james should be back as well. BA will need them

IMO a healthy Knox in particular and BA in general make them at least a contender if not the favorite for state champions.  I spoke with Cody White in May at the MUS-BA baseball game, and he said that despite the loss of Sanders, this would be his beat BA team.

MUS may be a contender.  Can't tell yet.  This Friday will tell a lot.  I don't expect them to beat S Panola, but I don't want the Owls taken to the proverbial woodshed.  SP will be looking to make amends at home for losing to MUS rather decisively in Memphis last year.  Many if not most SP fans get downright angry and embarrassed when they lose, especially to a private school like MUS.  They don't understand that TN 2AA is worlds apart from the private teams in MS.

Good luck to you guys ...always pull for the d2 team when they play out of state or in state public schools when we can find teams who will play us and not just in a scrimmage.

I know Cody White is committed to playing a tough schedule. You'll probably see us travel a little more as well and schedule a few more national powerhouses. It's one of those little things you can control that prepares you better for the brutal league schedule we play. I was looking at cal preps with am and Ensworth - BA - Baylor and McCallie have a higher average rating than archbishop Moeller - st xavier - elder and - lasalle.

CLS is rated the number 2 league nationally. If you take our top 4 teams in central we would surpass them for 2nd this year nationally

IMO a healthy Knox in particular and BA in general make them at least a contender if not the favorite for state champions. I spoke with Cody White in May at the MUS-BA baseball game, and he said that despite the loss of Sanders, this would be his beat BA team.

MUS may be a contender. Can't tell yet. This Friday will tell a lot. I don't expect them to beat S Panola, but I don't want the Owls taken to the proverbial woodshed. SP will be looking to make amends at home for losing to MUS rather decisively in Memphis last year. Many if not most SP fans get downright angry and embarrassed when they lose, especially to a private school like MUS. They don't understand that TN 2AA is worlds apart from the private teams in MS.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

Good luck to you guys ...always pull for the d2 team when they play out of state or in state public schools when we can find teams who will play us and not just in a scrimmage.

I know Cody White is committed to playing a tough schedule. You'll probably see us travel a little more as well and schedule a few more national powerhouses. It's one of those little things you can control that prepares you better for the brutal league schedule we play. I was looking at cal preps with am and Ensworth - BA - Baylor and McCallie have a higher average rating than archbishop Moeller - st xavier - elder and - lasalle.

CLS is rated the number 2 league nationally. If you take our top 4 teams in central we would surpass them for 2nd this year nationally

baylorbigdog1976:

You want to play against a good public school team. Have your AD call the AD at Whitehaven. If your school is willing to do a Home/Home contract ... then it shouldn't be a problem. If your AD wants something ridiculous other then a Home/Home contract, then don't bother. That's why Whitehaven doesn't play MUS or CBHS during the regular season. Maybe your school will step up to the plate. Otherwise, stop all of the 'public schools won't play us' nonsense.

Put up or shut-up.

Edited by kwc

We did a home and home with science hill kwc.

BA already plays the toughest schedule in the state of tn. Number one the last 2 years according to cal preps. Top 50 national

Whitehaves is 82nd in the state and 2300 nationally. I don't know that BA is the one who should be picking up the phone to improve their schedule

Don't kid yourself ... Whitehaven doesn't play MUS for the same reason brentwood high doesn't play BA . Or the Murfreesboro schools do not play

baylorbigdog1976:

You want to play against a good public school team. Have your AD call the AD at Whitehaven. If your school is willing to do a Home/Home contract ... then it shouldn't be a problem. If your AD wants something ridiculous other then a Home/Home contract, then don't bother. That's why Whitehaven doesn't play MUS or CBHS during the regular season. Maybe your school will step up to the plate. Otherwise, stop all of the 'public schools won't play us' nonsense.

Put up or shut-up.

Good ole owlbooster showing up looking to serve a little Hot Crow  :mrgreen:

In order to serve crow, one must be a participant. Owlbooster shows up when he feels that one of his precious D-2 teams has been slighted. At the first opportunity to 'show someone up' ... he appears. Otherwise he just lurks. However, it's good to hear from the ole' Owlbooster from time to time.

Now ... if Owlbooster had the guts to participate ... that's another story altogether. What say ye Owlbooster?