Whitehaven hasn't fallen off, teams are stronger now!

coach10ac

Actually here are the numbers schedule strength

1) White station - schedule strength #12 in state and up from 2013

2) Memphis Central - schedule strength ranked # 62 in state and up from 2013

3) Whitehaven - schedule strength ranked # 82 in the state down slightly from 2013

As of this past weekend taken into consideration out of state games white station has played the most difficult schedule in the state of tennessee.

Followed by maryville then brentwood academy.

Look, these stats are super subjective... The better talent comes from my city and there's an abundance of it, yet East TN schools have stronger schedules? Why? Who from GA, NC, VA are they playing? They are playing other East Tenn schools that have Two D1 prospects or less so what makes these teams better?  

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

Not trying to stir the pot. If you look at Alcoa as am example...: they are 3-1. Every week they win big except for when they have played a team that is a notch above where they are this year. Fulton is as good as anyone in 4a and they would give some of the big teams a good game but the elite teams in tennessee this year are just better. Fulton - Pearl Cohn - Liberty Tech- Alcoa - CPA- West are just in that second group.

Good teams but none of them in my estimation would survive a game with Ensworth - Maryville Oakland - Blackman- BA - or a few others.

Pearl cohn gave MBA a good game this year but as of now I think MBA is right there in the upper second tier and certainly middle of the road in d2.

I may eat crow this Friday when they play BA but they are in for a long night unless BA comes out flat from such a big win against st xavier. One of my boys starts on brentwood academy's 8th grade team coached my carlton flatt. Carlton won 10 state championships at BA varsity. Our 8th grade team has NEVER lost a game since he has been coaching. ( 6 years now) He has on his staff the retired coaching hall of fame.

I drove to knoxville to watch BA play fultons middle school club. These kids are not just from Fulton. I bet their line avged 220 pounds and the skilled players were the best I have ever see in 8th grade. I have videos of the game and their wide receiver looked like one of our high school kids. Athletes all over the field.

We won 22-6 and we played to eat up the clock. We were just fundamentally more sound and disciplined than they were. Can you imagine how hard the boys at Maryvilles 8th grade would play if all of a sudden quarrels retired and coached them for fun ? There is no way we as the athletes they had and I am not saying their coaching was not stellar but you could see our boys just looked almost machine like.

My point is I think fultons advantage athletically would go out the door against a team that is as disciplined and committed and proud as maryville

I understand what you're trying to say.  I have no ties to Maryville or Fulton.  But, like I said, this year I think that Fulton could beat Maryville.  As I previously stated, I think that GQ and staff are second to none in this state.  However, Fulton's high school staff is very well respected too.  You don't win multiple state championships if your teams lack discipline (I cannot speak for Fulton's middle school teams or coaches or overall team discipline at that level).  Maryville has beaten plently of teams that "out-athleted" them, and most years they would do the same to Fulton.  But, Fulton is athletic and disciplined, so they could definitely keep it close.

Last year, here were the results of games with common opponents:

Maryville 48  Farragut 7

Fulton 55  Farragut 7

Maryville 51  Bearden 0

Fulton 52  Bearden 0

Once again, I'm not saying that Fulton would've beaten MHS.  But for some to say that Maryville would've wiped the field with Fulton is asinine.  If teams such as Knox West can keep the score fairly close against Maryville, so could Fulton.

Regardless, this year, I believe that Ensworth or BA would beat Maryville and Fulton.

Okay explain how ? Subjective meaning there is opinion inserted into the equation? Everyone is thrown into the same formula BHS so it's a quantitative ranking of team strength of schedule. Cal preps is not biased toward East Tennessee. If you go back and look at weekly data from Their 2013 projections for tenneesse they had 82% accuracy.

It's not perfect but you are a highly educated person so google the interview with ned freeman and see why it's probably the most reliable and accurate data for football fans.

No one can quantify the human element of an emotional game but it's great info esp when people throw out schedule strength etc. It also gives great insight into the teams from year to year and the quality or players from this year as compared to other years. I don't throw out baloney hot air on here.. At least I don't try to. I try to back up any opinion I have with at least some fact. I am not saying whitehaven is not a great team this year . They are projected to go 9-1 and things can change, but as of now I don't think you are quite on the level of my top 3 in 6a.

I have been critical of my own team at times as well. Brentwood academy has was ranked higher and had more talent than Ensworth in 3 out of the past 5 state championships in d2. Maybe this past year ensworth had more talent but that's debatable.

So I understand that little nuisances make a huge difference in a game like football. Desire - talent- coaching and the psychology of young kids play a huge role. But a lot of the game is math too. I don't know how you break down it all because it's all important.

My 8th grade son is a super athlete. He has another gear when he wants to play in that gear. I look at him at times on the field and he coast sometimes. I sort a know what flips his switch but it's a series of events that involve a lot more than I care to explain on here. So I get what you are saying to an extent about the subjectivity of the game . Do you not get mine ?

Look, this stats are super subjective... The better talent comes from my city and there's an abundance of it, yet East TN schools have stronger schedules? Why? Who from GA, NC, VA are they playing? They are playing other East Tenn schools that have Two D1 prospects or less so what makes these teams better?

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

Look, these stats are super subjective... The better talent comes from my city and there's an abundance of it, yet East TN schools have stronger schedules? Why? Who from GA, NC, VA are they playing? They are playing other East Tenn schools that have Two D1 prospects or less so what makes these teams better?  

Those 'Two D1 prospect or less' teams consistently win championships over the "better talent".  Just take a look at the trophy cases....

So far this year, Maryville has beaten 3 teams:  Webb (routinely wins state championships in their classification), Alcoa (routinelty wins state championships in their classification), and Knox West (lost the state championship by 1 point last year).  And yes, Knox West just beat Asheville,NC (one of the better teams in NC) by 20.

We all know memphis has good athletes and many d1 prospects but that does not mean jack when it comes to schedule strength or in some cases winning games. 2013 whitehaven was a once in a decade type team. Look at the link below from rivals ... How many guys went on to play college ball from that team? I have never seen a list that long from one team.

You guys beat maryville in OT. I don't think they had one kid rated on the entire team that year.

So d1 recruits are fun to talk about and important but they have zip to do with how tough a schedule is or the relative rankings of a team. If that were the case then no way maryville wins all those championships and no way whitehaven is ranked ahead of Oakland and Blackman this year. No way MUS beats south Panolla last year and I can go on and on

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/recruit-search-results?sport=football&year=2013&highschool_text=Whitehaven&highschools=16303&state=Tennessee

Those 'Two D1 prospect or less' teams consistently win championships over the "better talent".  Just take a look at the trophy cases....

So far this year, Maryville has beaten 3 teams:  Webb (routinely wins state championships in their classification), Alcoa (routinelty wins state championships in their classification), and Knox West (lost the state championship by 1 point last year).  And yes, Knox West just beat Asheville,NC (one of the better teams in NC) by 20.

The same way you throw out the teams that Maryville has beaten I'll do the same for Central, Melrose, East, Ridgeway, White Station, etc... About the time the Playoffs start all of these teams will likely have an L to Da Haven but they won't be SHOOTIN' up these Subjective ratings... These teams got plenty of talent but the East Tenn teams are some kinda way better with LESS talent? That makes no sense. The Title Games for THIS year haven't been played so as I am saying this thing is SUBJECTIVE.

We all know memphis has good athletes and many d1 prospects but that does not mean jack when it comes to schedule strength or in some cases winning games. 2013 whitehaven was a once in a decade type team. Look at the link below from rivals ... How many guys went on to play college ball from that team? I have never seen a list that long from one team.

You guys beat maryville in OT. I don't think they had one kid rated on the entire team that year.

So d1 recruits are fun to talk about and important but they have zip to do with how tough a schedule is or the relative rankings of a team. If that were the case then no way maryville wins all those championships and no way whitehaven is ranked ahead of Oakland and Blackman this year. No way MUS beats south Panolla last year and I can go on and on

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/recruit-search-results?sport=football&year=2013&highschool_text=Whitehaven&highschools=16303&state=Tennessee

I see... So if there's MORE talent in one area how can the teams from the lesser talented area be better teams? I dare say that there's an easier road to hoe thus the reason for all the titles... 

We send that many to school every year as we use football as a means to an End at Whitehaven... 

Easier road to hoe... I look forward to November

So if whitehaven was in maryville you guys would have won 15 state titles am I understanding you correctly ? And if you put maryville in Memphis they would have won less than 5?

I see... So if there's MORE talent in one area how can the teams from the lesser talented area be better teams? I dare say that there's an easier road to hoe thus the reason for all the titles...

We send that many to school every year as we use football as a means to an End at Whitehaven...

So if whitehaven was in maryville you guys would have won 15 state titles am I understanding you correctly ? And if you put maryville in Memphis they would have won less than 5?

heck yes... Let's swap places. Let's both keep the SAME talent and Coaching staff... But let's see what GQ does with what Rodney Saulsberry has to deal with OUTSIDE of coaching football... Let Saulsberry ONLY have to coach football and have a WHOLE Community behind him and see what happens.

I see... So if there's MORE talent in one area how can the teams from the lesser talented area be better teams?

Coaching and discipline. Surely someone as wise and educated as yourself can figure that out. I have seen some of the most athletic teams I have ever seen at the state championships. Most were from Memphis, but a few were BY FAR the most undisciplined teams I have ever witnessed. Trezevant comes to mind....

Most Memphis teams would not out-athlete Alcoa or Fulton. Combine that with great coaching/scheming/play calling/discipline, and you get 13 state championships between the 2 in the past 10 years (that's not counting state runner-ups!). And don't get me started on Maryville's dominance.

No matter the road, the cream will rise to the top. If West TN's teams are so much greater, where are all the gold balls?? These elite West TN teams should win every year, right?

Here's a bold prediction.....The gold balls for 3A, 4A, 5A, and 6A this year will not be headed to Memphis. One or 2 might go to Middle, but not West. I wonder why....