Whitehaven hasn't fallen off, teams are stronger now!

coach10ac

heck yes... Let's swap places. Let's both keep the SAME talent and Coaching staff... But let's see what GQ does with what Rodney Saulsberry has to deal with OUTSIDE of coaching football... Let Saulsberry ONLY have to coach football and have a WHOLE Community behind him and see what happens.

GQ would still win gold balls, even under the scenario that you described.

Edited by AllRegion

I see... So if there's MORE talent in one area how can the teams from the lesser talented area be better teams? I dare say that there's an easier road to hoe thus the reason for all the titles... 

We send that many to school every year as we use football as a means to an End at Whitehaven... 

You send that many to school every year due to their individual talent and athleticism. More talent in Memphis,absolutely. Easier row to hoe for the top teams, most years probably. Why then do the Memphis teams not win more gold balls? You can't have it both ways Senator...more talent and tougher competition spell better chances come championship game time. Whitehaven has a tougher task to get to Cookeville than Maryville, I'll give you that. No matter who advances from Memphis to play for the championship, according to your theory should be the far better team than the less talented, less tested opponent.

Whitehaven's championship team is the embodiment of my point...clearly player for player they had the advantage...like it or not (admit it or not), it took a blown call to finally get the win over Maryville. Quarles called the trick play because he knew that Whitehaven had the better talent, and that the longer the game went, the less chance he had. Better players do not equal a better team without leadership and discipline, and the eastern division teams have the advantage over Memphis in that area by a wide margin. Facts are facts, and some of yours are spot on...but you don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

Give Quarles and his staff the the team that he faced in season before last's championship game and he just might win some of the small college conference championships.

Edited by tradertwo

Come up with all the stats you like, they have not computed the strength of these teams this year. We all know Whitehaven has always been ranked low because teams weredeemed to be weak on our scHedule. Now they are potential championship teams and we still are in the same spot. But one fact still remains in 6à. All roads lead thru Da HAVEN in west TN.... there is only one team out east that has anything to say because no one else is there... that's Maryville. .So to keep putting all these other teams ahead of us is crazy. ..but hey, we know how that story goes. But I guess the fact that WS has a losing record I'd the cause. .No, whoever schedules they games needs a swift kick for stacking the deck like that. .not saying don't play the teams, but don't let your first 5 be against the Best in the state. . Mix it up at least.

Your hormones seem a little out of whack. You know, they make medications for that. When you come out with rankings, you have to think about who would win certain match-ups. Call it the IFL or whatever makes you sleep better at night. Although, I'd prefer the HFL (Hypothetical Football League). Do you ever watch ESPN?? Those shows are certainly full of speculation. It's OK I promise. I would pick Ensworth over Fulton if that means anything to you. And for my final bold IFL prediction, I predict that De La Salle would beat any TN team. Please note, however, I am not being condescending to all TN high school football programs.....DLS is simply that good.

Look, I've already explained my full respect for MHS and MOST of your fans. You should try not wearing your heart on your sleeve

You seem to have Panties and Hormones on your Brain a lot , Good luck with your Score Comparisons there big Guy ... you seem to be the one getting your feelings hurt very easily if everybody doesn't agree with your amazing ability to determine IFL Outcomes ... good luck with that man 

Coaching and discipline. Surely someone as wise and educated as yourself can figure that out. I have seen some of the most athletic teams I have ever seen at the state championships. Most were from Memphis, but a few were BY FAR the most undisciplined teams I have ever witnessed. Trezevant comes to mind....

The prevalent thought throughout the state is that Memphis teams are undisciplined and poorly coached. That statement is true for some teams that come out of Memphis. Not all. The same can be said for metro Nashville and metro Knoxville. As a matter of fact ... that statement can be said for a lot of urban teams throughout these United States. Atlanta, Birmingham, New Orleans, Chicago, Detroit ... so on and so forth.

It is a prevailing thought and belief. It permeates the thinking and reasoning everyone involved ... including officials. After all, They are human. All of their friends think like that. Their family members think like that. Their church members think like that. It is even discussed in the barber shop when they wait to get their hair cut. It infiltrates their being until ... it's just fact ... regardless of who is on the field. So, if team A is prone to be undisciplined and their coaching may be good, but never great, well then naturally, that team is going to have more penalties. It just goes without saying. Everyone knows that ... right?

It is a prejudiced mindset that is so deeply ingrained that it lives in the core of people who believe it. The sad part is ... they don't even think that they are prejudice in that manner. Some are going to read this and be offended. That should be their first clue.

Some coaches KNOW that is something they HAVE to deal with. It's just the way it is! Other coaches don't have to deal with it. It just depends upon WHERE your team comes from.

I remember watching that Trezevant game. I remember thinking that the coach had lost his team. I remember watching those young men go ballistic and lose their cool and the whole thing unraveled. It was a horrible sight to witness.

Then sometime later on this very board I remember reading comments about it and folks from everywhere were letting them have it. They were drug through the mud, onto the asphalt, and back through the mud.  At one point I would have read everyone's comments and remembered what I watched and I would have thought ... "rightly so"

Then ... I read the comments of one BlackhavenSenator. He didn't condone their behavior ... but he said some things about what he thought those young, inexperienced young men were thinking, and he said he figured out why they reacted the way that they did. Of course, BHS got blasted for those comments, like he always does when he says something that is unpopular to the masses. It's one thing I admire about him. But I read them and I followed where he was coming from and the more I thought about what he said, the more it made sense. For the record, I'm not condoning their behavior either ... but those young men where in a situation where they thought that they were being cheated, whether they were or were not isn't the point, and they reacted in the only manner in which they knew how. Knowing the part of town that they are reared in and the social economic surroundings that they deal with on a day to day basis ... it isn't a surprise that they had that monumental meltdown in front of every one.

So yeah ... Trezevant comes to mind. It figures. If you knew coach Telli White, but you don't, you would know that he's a disciplinarian who doesn't tolerate drama or mess.

See ... you saw the meltdown and thought ... what a horrible coach. That is such an undisciplined team.

I see the community those young men come from, the work it took the coach to get them to believe and commit, the pre-judged assumptions they have to face when getting on the field, and the fact that they made it to the championship game, and I think ... GREAT coach and a well disciplined team. (You don't make it to the championship game on athleticism alone. You have to have discipline as well, or you will get put out in the 2nd or 3rd round)

But yeah ... most of the gold balls have gone to Maryville, Alcoa, Knox West and the like. They dominate and East Tennessee has the best coaches and the most disciplined teams.

East Tennessee knows how to coach better then Middle and West. Their teams are the most disciplined and execute better. The teams from West and Middle Tennessee just have marginal coaching with exceptional athletes. The gold balls are the proof.

Isn't that right? Of course it is.

Edited by kwc

Maryville just moved up to #26 in the nation today.  Knox Fulton is #35.  Ensworth #48.  No mention of any West TN squads.

http://usatodayhss.com/rankings/expert/boys/football/2014/

I'll say again, Blackman is for real & the Golden Ball goes through them in 6A.

National rankings doesn't mean squat. Tennessee has a play-off system that decides the state rankings. State and National polls are conversation pieces only.

The prevalent thought throughout the state is that Memphis teams are undisciplined and poorly coached. That statement is true for some teams that come out of Memphis. Not all. The same can be said for metro Nashville and metro Knoxville. As a matter of fact ... that statement can be said for a lot of urban teams throughout these United States. Atlanta, Birmingham, New Orleans, Chicago, Detroit ... so on and so forth.

It is a prevailing thought and belief. It permeates the thinking and reasoning everyone involved ... including officials. After all, They are human. All of their friends think like that. Their family members think like that. Their church members think like that. It is even discussed in the barber shop when they wait to get their hair cut. It infiltrates their being until ... it's just fact ... regardless of who is on the field. So, if team A is prone to be undisciplined and their coaching may be good, but never great, well then naturally, that team is going to have more penalties. It just goes without saying. Everyone knows that ... right?

It is a prejudiced mindset that is so deeply ingrained that it lives in the core of people who believe it. The sad part is ... they don't even think that they are prejudice in that manner. Some are going to read this and be offended. That should be their first clue.

Some coaches KNOW that is something they HAVE to deal with. It's just the way it is! Other coaches don't have to deal with it. It just depends upon WHERE your team comes from.

I remember watching that Trezevant game. I remember thinking that the coach had lost his team. I remember watching those young men go ballistic and lose their cool and the whole thing unraveled. It was a horrible sight to witness.

Then sometime later on this very board I remember reading comments about it and folks from everywhere were letting them have it. They were drug through the mud, onto the asphalt, and back through the mud. At one point I would have read everyone's comments and remembered what I watched and I would have thought ... "rightly so"

Then ... I read the comments of one BlackhavenSenator. He didn't condone their behavior ... but he said some things about what he thought those young, inexperienced young men were thinking, and he said he figured out why they reacted the way that they did. Of course, BHS got blasted for those comments, like he always does when he says something that is unpopular to the masses. It's one thing I admire about him. But I read them and I followed where he was coming from and the more I thought about what he said, the more it made sense. For the record, I'm not condoning their behavior either ... but those young men where in a situation where they thought that they were being cheated, whether they were or were not isn't the point, and they reacted in the only manner in which they knew how. Knowing the part of town that they are reared in and the social economic surroundings that they deal with on a day to day basis ... it isn't a surprise that they had that monumental meltdown in front of every one.

So yeah ... Trezevant comes to mind. It figures. If you knew coach Telli White, but you don't, you would know that he's a disciplinarian who doesn't tolerate drama or mess.

See ... you saw the meltdown and thought ... what a horrible coach. That is such an undisciplined team.

I see the community those young men come from, the work it took the coach to get them to believe and commit, the pre-judged assumptions they have to face when getting on the field, and the fact that they made it to the championship game, and I think ... GREAT coach and a well disciplined team. (You don't make it to the championship game on athleticism alone. You have to have discipline as well, or you will get put out in the 2nd or 3rd round)

But yeah ... most of the gold balls have gone to Maryville, Alcoa, Knox West and the like. They dominate and East Tennessee has the best coaches and the most disciplined teams.

East Tennessee knows how to coach better then Middle and West. Their teams are the most disciplined and execute better. The teams from West and Middle Tennessee just have marginal coaching with exceptional athletes. The gold balls are the proof.

Isn't that right? Of course it is.

That's a fine example of selective hearing my friend. If you had read my entire post, you would see that I said that most of the most athletic teams I have ever seen were from Memphis, "but A FEW were by far the most undisciplined teams I have ever witnessed. A FEW!! I will be more than happy to translate that for you if you would like.

Next, you conveniently ignored the part where I said that athleticism combined "with great coaching/scheming/play calling/discipline" wins gold balls. You tried to focus solely on discipline, because that's what you wanted to hear. As much as you want to cry out that I'm stereotyping all Memphis teams as the same, unfortunately for you, I'm not.

Also, Nick Saban will never coach at Tennessee St. Why? They can't afford him. Most great coaches follow the money, and inner city schools usually don't have the large budgets to afford fantastic coaching AT EACH POSITION. Please note, I did not just say that all Memphis schools lack quality coaches (or anything else you choose to have just read).

Lastly, please answer me this: what is your explanation for the majority of gold balls heading east of west?

That's a fine example of selective hearing my friend. If you had read my entire post, you would see that I said that most of the most athletic teams I have ever seen were from Memphis, "but A FEW were by far the most undisciplined teams I have ever witnessed. A FEW!! I will be more than happy to translate that for you if you would like.

Next, you conveniently ignored the part where I said that athleticism combined "with great coaching/scheming/play calling/discipline" wins gold balls. You tried to focus solely on discipline, because that's what you wanted to hear. As much as you want to cry out that I'm stereotyping all Memphis teams as the same, unfortunately for you, I'm not.

Also, Nick Saban will never coach at Tennessee St. Why? They can't afford him. Most great coaches follow the money, and inner city schools usually don't have the large budgets to afford fantastic coaching AT EACH POSITION. Please note, I did not just say that all Memphis schools lack quality coaches (or anything else you choose to have just read).

Lastly, please answer me this: what is your explanation for the majority of gold balls heading east of west?

Tinpigskin:

I didn't selectively read anything nor did I conveniently ignore anything. My points you never addressed.

You already answered that for everybody. It's the great coaching and unparalled discipline they teach their football players.

There is no argument against your well made points. It's obvious that inner city schools can't afford to pay quality coaches AT EACH POSITION, therefore no gold balls for them. I have no clue how White Station won one in 2009 or how Whitehaven won one in 2012, or how Melrose won their two, or how East won theirs, or how Ridgeway won theirs ...or how Germantown won ... oh wait ... I know ... they got lucky.

Quarles called the trick play because he knew that Whitehaven had the better talent, and that the longer the game went, the less chance he had.

Quarels doesn't call trick plays because the other team has better talent. That's never been his reasoning. I'll educate you. He calls trick plays when he's facing a well coached team with a very stout defense. When he can't move the ball through conventional means ... then he will use unconventional. The talent level on the opposing team has nothing to do with it.

Edited by kwc

Tinpigskin:

I didn't selectively read anything nor did I conveniently ignore anything. My points you never addressed.

You already answered that for everybody. It's the great coaching and unparalled discipline they teach their football players.

There is no argument against your well made points. It's obvious that inner city schools can't afford to pay quality coaches AT EACH POSITION, therefore no gold balls for them. I have no clue how White Station won one in 2009 or how Whitehaven won one in 2012, or how Melrose won their two, or how East won theirs, or how Ridgeway won theirs ...or how Germantown won ... oh wait ... I know ... they got lucky.

Your points basically consisted of putting words in my mouth, therefore there was nothing for me to address. I said and I quote, "a few teams", so I'm not sure how else to explain that to you. The teams you just mentioned weren't undisciplined, so what's your point? I'm trying to logically come up with a reason as to why most gold balls never make it to Memphis. I'm not attacking anyone or crying about anything. I'm simply asking your thoughts as to why Middle and East TN win more gold balls, when truthfully, West TN teams usually have more athletic teams?? Something besides athleticism has to be factoring into the outcomes of the games. Do you have any thoughts regarding this discussion, or are you just on here to attack posters that have different opinions than you?