Whitehaven hasn't fallen off, teams are stronger now!

coach10ac

If you think Maryville can come to the west year in and year out and beat teams over here by 50 pts every week you Need yo lay off the funny cigars partner... it's funny how at best they just may get a good game from teams out there and the toughest are from teams in lesser divisions cause the ones in the division aren't crap. ..I take nothing from quarles and what he's done. I'm just surprised he is still in the high school ranks. ..the game against central just speaks to the toughness of the division, I don't care what the score is or how long it took to win... the fact still is head to head Whitehaven vs Maryville is 1-1...

Maryville hardly ever beats anybody by 50 points much less "every week". But I don't think it would be any different if they played in the West every week. If you were in East and could see the Maryville program up close you would agree. Their just a well oiled machine and its continuous year after year. Yes its a fact that Whitehaven and Maryville are 1-1 but if Whitehaven made it to the championship game more often that stat would be a little more lopsided in Maryville's favor. It's the truth.

If it was all about open zones then why did Maryville not win a playoff game in a 8 year span from the late 80s to the mid 90s?

I never said (or meant) that open zone = gold ball.  What I said was that it appears that open zone = better odds of a gold ball.  There is no doubt in my mind that Maryville has one of the best hc and staffs in the entire nation.  They are not, however, that much better than all of the staffs that they routinely beat in pursuit of the gold ball.  The quality of the staff, and the phenomenal success, makes kids want to go there - under the rules, they can, no matter where they happen to live.  It is simply not like that at all D1 schools.  In my opinion, this makes a difference.  I think the historical statistics, in all D1 divisions, backs this up.  

Maryville is clearly the most successful 6A program in recent Tennessee history.  Whitehaven, Oakland, etc. have also had much success and deserve utmost respect, especially since they have zoning restrictions that simply do not apply to Maryville and other open-zoned schools.  

This is not a zero sum game - one can (and should be) respect one program without showing disrespect for another.

Edited by RedRobin1

this has been fantastic thread to read...well done by all...

as a fan of a school that "plays up" if u will...i would like to think that liberty tech plays the toughest schedule in the state...especially on the 4a level

i have an abundance of respect for the posters on this thread...i try to follow each of u weekly...

in response to the originial topic and ill work my way around to the rest...

kwc and bhs and even galilee if he is around...why does whitehaven play mitchell...it seems a waste of a game for a 6a contender to play a middle of the pack 2a team...i realize its very hard to fill a schedule with tons of local teams "ducking" u...but why them...why not trezevant...or better yet...why not my team liberty tech out of jackson???  i personally think that would be one heck of a football game and we would give u a run for ur money as far as athlete for athlete goes...depth would be in ur favor...but i would pay to see that game...

does whitehaven play their starters in that game with mitchell??? 

We play Mitchell as it is somewhat of a Neighborhood game that has generated decent money (A lot of people with Walker Homes ties like myself went to Whitehaven but have a ton of friends that went to Mitchell)... Just a few years ago Mitchell was in their State Title Game (they had a decent playoff run last season too). Honestly, they provide a competitive game (Half) usually... I would rather see us play the likes of OB, USP, Hoover, MUS, CBHS, Briarcrest or a Private from Nashville (MBA or Ensworth) but they don't want to Sign the PROPER HOME/HOME CONTRACT or their ADs/Coaches are str8 up scared so bump them. Saulsberry will keep going to the Midwest I guess.

Maryville is clearly the most successful 6A program in recent Tennessee history.  Whitehaven, Oakland, etc. have also had much success and deserve utmost respect, especially since they have zoning restrictions that simply do not apply to Maryville and other open-zoned schools.  

How about Oakland's IB program?

We play Mitchell as it is somewhat of a Neighborhood game that has generated decent money (A lot of people with Walker Homes ties like myself went to Whitehaven but have a ton of friends that went to Mitchell)... Just a few years ago Mitchell was in their State Title Game (they had a decent playoff run last season too). Honestly, they provide a competitive game (Half) usually... I would rather see us play the likes of OB, USP, Hoover, MUS, CBHS, Briarcrest or a Private from Nashville (MBA or Ensworth) but they don't want to Sign the PROPER HOME/HOME CONTRACT or their ADs/Coaches are str8 up scared so bump them. Saulsberry will keep going to the Midwest I guess.

i figured the gate had a lil something to do with it...

i think u guys should look into liberty for the next contract...we graduate a ton this year so we may fall back to earth...but these last 2 years i believe we could have brought u boys a banger

i dont believe brentwood academy will renew their contract with us so we should have a free game

Maryville hardly ever beats anybody by 50 points much less "every week". But I don't think it would be any different if they played in the West every week. If you were in East and could see the Maryville program up close you would agree. Their just a well oiled machine and its continuous year after year. Yes its a fact that Whitehaven and Maryville are 1-1 but if Whitehaven made it to the championship game more often that stat would be a little more lopsided in Maryville's favor. It's the truth.

LOL 

Hopefully we shall see in December 

I heard we were planning on it.

i figured the gate had a lil something to do with it...

i think u guys should look into liberty for the next contract...we graduate a ton this year so we may fall back to earth...but these last 2 years i believe we could have brought u boys a banger

i dont believe brentwood academy will renew their contract with us so we should have a free game

BBD1976 - thanks for revealing the source of your screen name and eliminating the mystery. 

YES! The totally objective polls to which you constantly refer are based entirely on your

SCHEDULE - whom you play, what the score was, and to a smaller extent, where you

played.

Thus if your  schedule is weaker, you will be ranked lower, all other things like wins and

losses being equal.

This is the "dilemma" for teams like Whitehaven.  But ultimately the playoffs will decide it

all anyway, so "the polls" really shouldn't rile the fans up as they do.

I had an ongoing "discussion" about this all season with mostly west coast bloggers about the NCAA Div 1 baseball polls.  They kept claiming East Coast/SEC/ACC bias.  I pointed out what I did above - it is really totally objective, whom you played, etc.  I even pointed out extensively that you can actually go up in the rankings by even losing to a really good team (e.g. MUS vs BA or SP) and go down by just playing a really bad team, regardless of the outcome (e.g. MUS vs Kingsbury)  Some never "got it."

Of course, the college RPI actually is a factorial calculation which may be more complicated than the HS sites use.  Don't know...

Edited by owlbooster

You are right owlbooster. Playing the game will decide.....We both have tough matchups this Friday and I have no idea what to expect from either matchup. MBA always plays us tough , we are coming off a big emotional win and I just don't have a good read on MBA. I was at our 9th grade game this week at BA versus MBA and I overheard a few of the dad's talking about the Baylor game and saying MBA was the better team. This year it seems d2 is tight from 1-6. I think father ryan is not an easy out as well. They hit BA as hard as anyone I have seen play us. They didn't do much but we sure didn't either. A lot of big hits in that game.

Anyways I will be in the stands and following the MUS game on my phone so good luck to you guys.

BBD1976 - thanks for revealing the source of your screen name and eliminating the mystery.

YES! The totally objective polls to which you constantly refer are based entirely on your

SCHEDULE - whom you play, what the score was, and to a smaller extent, where you

played.

Thus if your schedule is weaker, you will be ranked lower, all other things like wins and

losses being equal.

This is the "dilemma" for teams like Whitehaven. But ultimately the playoffs will decide it

all anyway, so "the polls" really shouldn't rile the fans up as they do.

I had an ongoing "discussion" about this all season with mostly west coast bloggers about the NCAA Div 1 baseball polls. They kept claiming East Coast/SEC/ACC bias. I pointed out what I did above - it is really totally objective, whom you played, etc. I even pointed out extensively that you can actually go up in the rankings by even losing to a really good team (e.g. MUS vs BA or SP) and go down by just playing a really bad team, regardless of the outcome (e.g. MUS vs Kingsbury) Some never "got it."

Of course, the college RPI actually is a factorial calculation which may be more complicated than the HS sites use. Don't know...

Edited by baylorbigdog1976