Whitehaven hasn't fallen off, teams are stronger now!

coach10ac

ok RedRobin , since you have no problem trying to diminish Maryville's wins , I'm not gonna have any Problem with what I throw out ... and I don't like doing this because I don't like belittling or diminishing a High School Football team's accomplishments . You bring up open zone and Mention Maryville , Alcoa and Greeneville by name in your earlier post ... well I guess the fact that there's Dozens of schools across the State like Maryville & Alcoa didn't fit your agenda . 

Ensworth is in a Division with just 11 Schools ... and Ensworth is not playing by the same rules as the others are and you know it ... Maryville & Alcoa have generations of Football fans , our Communities have been Football Crazy for over 50 years , Maryville and Alcoa have made each other better , and our whole community is Supportive of Football . Your school has none of that Tradition and History I'm talking about , but apparently what Maryville and Alcoa does have that has taken 50 plus years can be bought in DII with whomever has the Largest Checkbook . It's hilarious that you will even try to say that Ensworth doesn't have a huge advantage by the loads of Money being thrown around . Brentwood Academy , MBA & maybe MUS are the only schools that are even close to throwing as much Money at Football as Ensworth does . Maryville and Alcoa are playing by the same TSSAA rules that were established for zones since at least 1969 .... they have many other schools across the State playing by those same rules , yet here you are trying to diminish what Maryville has done when your own School is trying to bypass the old fashioned way of Community support , tradition and history by throwing more $ out there . Your School has only been around for 9 years , and it's very obvious that the big money guys running the Show at Ensworth are determined to win Championships at any cost . 

Seriously , a guy who is a Fan of a Team that has to win a Title with just 10 other teams to beat out , crying about the Open Zones of Maryville & Alcoa , when there's Dozens of other Schools just like them is so Hypocritical . 

As a Maryville fan , I would Love to play you guys for real . Maryville has a totally different mindset than any of the other schools you guys are used to beating , we fear no one and have total Faith in our Coaches and the young men giving their all for Team and Community . No we can't throw unlimited wads of Cash out towards our Football team like you guys can , we are Limited by many rules and regulations , but having a Fanatical , supportive fan base that has grown up Loving Football is something I will take any day over any amount of Money your school can throw out there . 

WOW - just WOW.  Talk about a hate-filled screed - you take the cake, dude.  I don't understand how "throwing money at football" can win games (maybe $100 per first down or $1,000 per touchdown???), but that is in no way related to this topic.

Y'all had been filling this thread with all of your reasons why the Memphis teams (including, but not only, Whitehaven) doesn't have as many championships as the teams from "the East" (specifically mentioning Maryville, Alcoa and , in at least one post, Greeneville).  The reasons, according to all you experts, include how the Memphis teams are lacking in such things as "discipline", "coaching", etc.  You seem to have no problems with anyone pointing out these supposed shortcomings or with throwing them out whether they can be interpreted as "disrespectful".  I then raise the point that one difference that I have noticed is that the D1 schools with open-zoning tend to win most of the D1 championships. Each of the three schools mentioned from "the East" is open-zoned.  To my knowledge, the Memphis schools are not.  You freak out, accuse me of disrespecting your precious Maryville team (re-read my posts - there is no disrespect whatsoever - in fact, I made it a point to state how much I do respect that program). I then invited y'all to show me where my theory is wrong.  You did not do so - instead you attack and show massive disrespect for a program that is totally unrelated to this topic, but that you know I support.  Very mature of you, sir.

I stick by my theory that the open-zoned schools have a demonstrable advantage over the traditionally-zoned schools in D1 athletics.  I invite mature discussion on this topic, since it seems relevant to the issues raised by others in this thread. 

Not sure if you remember this article link below. Open zoning would seem to give a school an advantage of a better selection of athletes versus a random selection from the general population. I could see where it would have an effect in an area where there are a lot of choices for high schools.

I get what you are saying but it would make more sense if I knew 4 or 5 highly talented and recruited players who all decided to leave a knoxville high school and go attend maryville just for the football. The open argument makes senae only if this is happening.

A parent who moves to maryville for whatever reason - football or not is zoned there just like anywhere else. I just moved to brentwood 2 years ago from Belmont. I am zoned for brentwood high - chose to send my kids to BA but if I thought ravenwood was a better place for them ( and open enrollment was an option ) I would make that decision.

I also find a little dink in your argument because you make it sound as if open enrollment = better athletes = more state championships. Some of the posters on here are thinking maybe Better Athletes should = more championships and it does not matter how they got there. Live in the town or not.

I am not defending maryville but I can go back and throw out teams they beat who had better athletes and on paper should have won the game. open enrollment did not yield the better athletes at least in those examples.

It is a fair question to ask ... If memphis has nore talent than anywhere , zoning or not, how are they not winning more gold balls ? No different than ricky saying BA has had the most talent in d2 over the past 5 years but you and I know our record against Ensworth during that time.

We both have Open enrollement RR. So Maybe your analysis is accurate to a certain degree but there are holes in it. If open enrollment was happening in nashville and Overton was winning all the state championship because kids from all over were paying a slight fee to go then we could see that plain as day.

Until I see facts or articles saying people are moving to maryville for high school football I don't think it's making as big of a difference as we would like to imagine, not when you compare it to the other things they do right and so well .But what do I know....

http://www.brentwoodhomepage.com/wcs-open-zones-open-up-can-of-worms-for-athletics-cms-10418#.VBx-GYo8LCQ

WOW - just WOW. Talk about a hate-filled screed - you take the cake, dude. I don't understand how "throwing money at football" can win games (maybe $100 per first down or $1,000 per touchdown???), but that is in no way related to this topic.

Y'all had been filling this thread with all of your reasons why the Memphis teams (including, but not only, Whitehaven) doesn't have as many championships as the teams from "the East" (specifically mentioning Maryville, Alcoa and , in at least one post, Greeneville). The reasons, according to all you experts, include how the Memphis teams are lacking in such things as "discipline", "coaching", etc. You seem to have no problems with anyone pointing out these supposed shortcomings or with throwing them out whether they can be interpreted as "disrespectful". I then raise the point that one difference that I have noticed is that the D1 schools with open-zoning tend to win most of the D1 championships. Each of the three schools mentioned from "the East" is open-zoned. To my knowledge, the Memphis schools are not. You freak out, accuse me of disrespecting your precious Maryville team (re-read my posts - there is no disrespect whatsoever - in fact, I made it a point to state how much I do respect that program). I then invited y'all to show me where my theory is wrong. You did not do so - instead you attack and show massive disrespect for a program that is totally unrelated to this topic, but that you know I support. Very mature of you, sir.

I stick by my theory that the open-zoned schools have a demonstrable advantage over the traditionally-zoned schools in D1 athletics. I invite mature discussion on this topic, since it seems relevant to the issues raised by others in this thread.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

BBD1976 - I never said that it was the only reason, just that it might be one of the reasons - in fact, empirical evidence indicates that it may be a factor since the open-zones invariably do better at the championship level.  Sorry to intrude on the Memphis bashing - just thought I would put in my two cents worth, but I will gladly crawl back into my hole and let y'all just keep shouting at the Senator and kwc that their programs need more discipline and better coaching. 

Good luck against MBA tonight!  I expect BA will win by a couple of touchdowns, but I guess it just depends on how much money each bring with them to the game.