Whitehaven hasn't fallen off, teams are stronger now!

coach10ac

WOW Is just what I thought about you talking about something that has not changed in 50 years and dozens of schools are the exact same way ... you really are not what I thought you were , I thought you had a little class , but here you are just like another typical hater ... the fact that you're a fan of a Private school that has only existed for 9 years and your team has obviously spent whatever it has taken to win championships ... and here you are worrying about Maryville ... really pitiful 

Just curious, pepvol - how does a team "buy" a championship?

Y'all had been filling this thread with all of your reasons why the Memphis teams (including, but not only, Whitehaven) doesn't have as many championships as the teams from "the East" (specifically mentioning Maryville, Alcoa and , in at least one post, Greeneville).  The reasons, according to all you experts, include how the Memphis teams are lacking in such things as "discipline", "coaching", etc.  You seem to have no problems with anyone pointing out these supposed shortcomings or with throwing them out whether they can be interpreted as "disrespectful".

Here it is , Poor Little RedRobin got Butthurt because "Y'all had been filling this thread with all of your reasons why the Memphis teams (including, but not only, Whitehaven) doesn't have as many championships as the teams from "the East" (specifically mentioning Maryville, Alcoa" ....

The Funny thing is there RedRobin you're mad at " Y'all " and you don't even know who " Y'all " is . There are no Maryville fans on here talking Smack , but that didn't stop you from doing the exact same thing that all the Ensworth haters have been doing for years ... You threw out something trying to diminish the accomplishments of the Maryville kids .... I thought you would be one of the last ones to do that seeing as how much you have had to deal with it . Maryville plays by the same rules as everybody else does across the State , there are many teams just like Maryville across the entire State .... It really is beyond pitiful that you would try to do the same thing that all your haters have done . Ya , that's how Maryville has always won , by cheating and getting all these D1 Studs on our team every year .... How do you " BUY CHAMPIONSHIPS ??? " I don't know but maybe like Ensworth here in just 9 years has probably had 5X the Number of D1 Players as Maryville has had in the last 70 years !!!!!     LOL , Just think about that you Clown , here you are trying to point a finger at Maryville who has Accomplished everything they have without very many D1 Studs at all .... what a big bad man you are to want to throw suspicion and Doubt towards a Team that wins by a bunch of blue collar , Hard working " Richie Cunningham " ( ya according to your buddy BHS ) type players . 

Edited by pepvol

As someone who has absolutely no affiliation to any of the schools mentioned in this thread, I've gotta say that RedRobin does make the most sense. There is nothing wrong with Maryville benefitting from a perfectly legal open zoned system. But those of you totally denying that it is, in fact, a benefit, are being a bit ridiculous. Almost delusional.

• Upvote 1

As someone who has absolutely no affiliation to any of the schools mentioned in this thread, I've gotta say that RedRobin does make the most sense. There is nothing wrong with Maryville benefitting from a perfectly legal open zoned system. But those of you totally denying that it is, in fact, a benefit, are being a bit ridiculous. Almost delusional.

Not sure the benefit is being denied, but he (RR) seems to infer it is the majority of the reason for this run of success and I don't agree with that. (His posts seem to spin in several different directions with prefacing etc. but that seems to be the message) Quarles is currently 212-14 since his first season in 99, and seven of those losses came in  his first two years. In other words he is approximately 191-7 since the 2001 season commenced (I did not verify this but it is close). So I think coaching is the majority of the reason. 20 year periods have been cited with no titles, and even an eight year run late 80s to mid 90s with no playoff wins. Open zoned the entire time. So what is the major difference between then and now?

Also it is worth mentioning many times we have won the title game facing teams bigger and faster than we are, with coaching, a great system and disciplined players who have bought in. JMO

Pepvol is correct though, Maryville folks were not the ones comparing titles etc. We get drug into many threads, but not always by Maryville folks. 

I don't deny that having an open-zone helps Maryville out, but I also think you have to admit that schools who don't have an open-zone get players from outside of their zone through other methods. IB programs, different course offerings, etc. all can be manipulated.

Not sure the benefit is being denied, but he (RR) seems to infer it is the majority of the reason for this run of success and I don't agree with that. (His posts seem to spin in several different directions with prefacing etc. but that seems to be the message) Quarles is currently 212-14 since his first season in 99, and seven of those losses came in  his first two years. In other words he is approximately 191-7 since the 2001 season commenced (I did not verify this but it is close). So I think coaching is the majority of the reason. 20 year periods have been cited with no titles, and even an eight year run late 80s to mid 90s with no playoff wins. Open zoned the entire time. So what is the major difference between then and now?

Also it is worth mentioning many times we have won the title game facing teams bigger and faster than we are, with coaching, a great system and disciplined players who have bought in. JMO

Pepvol is correct though, Maryville folks were not the ones comparing titles etc. We get drug into many threads, but not always by Maryville folks. 

It isn't solely the open zones being the reason why Maryville has been so good, but when you have awesome coaches like Maryville has it brings kids in that want to be a part of something great like Maryville has going on there now. Yeah y'all had open zones in the 80's and 90's, but as you said kids weren't dying to come over because the coaching wasn't up to par and in those days OR and Knox Central were the powerhouses in this area, which brought kids to those two programs like it has been happening at Maryville now. Like you said it's all coaching. Kids want to play for a winner like Quarles. Quarles and Co don't have to recruit. The Maryville brand simply draws them there because of the coaching and great teams Quarles has put out there the past 15 years. He has built something great there and is reaping the benefits of it. 

do you know how many out of zone kids attend oakridge and start on the football team ?

It isn't solely the open zones being the reason why Maryville has been so good, but when you have awesome coaches like Maryville has it brings kids in that want to be a part of something great like Maryville has going on there now. Yeah y'all had open zones in the 80's and 90's, but as you said kids weren't dying to come over because the coaching wasn't up to par and in those days OR and Knox Central were the powerhouses in this area, which brought kids to those two programs like it has been happening at Maryville now. Like you said it's all coaching. Kids want to play for a winner like Quarles. Quarles and Co don't have to recruit. The Maryville brand simply draws them there because of the coaching and great teams Quarles has put out there the past 15 years. He has built something great there and is reaping the benefits of it.

Not sure the benefit is being denied, but he (RR) seems to infer it is the majority of the reason for this run of success and I don't agree with that. (His posts seem to spin in several different directions with prefacing etc. but that seems to be the message) Quarles is currently 212-14 since his first season in 99, and seven of those losses came in his first two years. In other words he is approximately 191-7 since the 2001 season commenced (I did not verify this but it is close). So I think coaching is the majority of the reason. 20 year periods have been cited with no titles, and even an eight year run late 80s to mid 90s with no playoff wins. Open zoned the entire time. So what is the major difference between then and now?

Oh I don't disagree with you at all. Quarles and his staff are undoubtedly the men behind the curtain making the engine run. They don't have to recruit, and you'll never hear me accuse them of doing so. It takes a perfect storm of events to get a program to the level Maryville is. Its just that having the benefits of an open zone definitely strengthen that storm.

do you know how many out of zone kids attend oakridge and start on the football team ?

None right now that I am aware of, but I am sure it has happened in the past. But, our tuition is outrageous. Much higher than Maryville's is. I just looked it up if you don't live in Anderson County the tuition rate is near 7,000 dollars. If you live in Anderson Co it's close to 4,000.

Edited by SweetScience