Polk County at McMinn Central

AcrossTheMiddle

I don't know that it is a weak district, how bout a strong region.  Remeber CAK and Alcoa - OUR REGION has won the state title the pas 10 years.  Put us in another region and MCentral and Polk would have gone further.  I remember 3 years ago going to Bledsoe when they were undefeated and getting shafted out of a win.  Polk would have destroyed that Bledsoe bunch.  Dekalb was and Greenbrier were bigger schools that should have not been in that classification.

Central has only been in this strong region for 4 years. Our district winner likely won't see the Alcoa/CAK district winner until the third round of the playoffs so our district winner has a chance to win some games. It is what it is and our district is usually weak. The point was why pollsters don't have us ranked top 10 and I think the times in the past 8 years they've seen us or Polk undefeated or with only one loss, only to see us lose early in the playoffs, many times to teams not called Alcoa or CAK.

Greenbrier and DeKalb may have been "slightly" bigger schools than us but with the format for playoff classifications that's what every slightly smaller school across the state faces in the playoffs. If you remember just a few years ago we played Alcoa in the playoffs and put a good scare in them and that was with a team with much less talent, experience, and seniors than we have this year.

But lets tale them a game at a time and enjoy the upcoming beating of the kittens this week.

In smaller schools talent comes and goes.  Good coaching helps, but a mule isn't going to win a horse race.  Polk had a good run of athletes and players the past few years and unfortunately for them, the well has gone dry.  Football, Basketball, and Baseball will all be down for the Cats this year.  Chargers gonna roll in this one 3 TDs plus

PCHS will be back in a season or two.

Central has only been in this strong region for 4 years. Our district winner likely won't see the Alcoa/CAK district winner until the third round of the playoffs so our district winner has a chance to win some games. It is what it is and our district is usually weak. The point was why pollsters don't have us ranked top 10 and I think the times in the past 8 years they've seen us or Polk undefeated or with only one loss, only to see us lose early in the playoffs, many times to teams not called Alcoa or CAK.

Greenbrier and DeKalb may have been "slightly" bigger schools than us but with the format for playoff classifications that's what every slightly smaller school across the state faces in the playoffs. If you remember just a few years ago we played Alcoa in the playoffs and put a good scare in them and that was with a team with much less talent, experience, and seniors than we have this year.

But lets tale them a game at a time and enjoy the upcoming beating of the kittens this week.

Agreed.  I was just pointing out that the teams played in the years we were 9-1 and 8-2 should have been in another classification, if the realignment would have come earlier I think we would have went further.  Remember too that before Loudon came into our district they were strong as well.  By far for a couple of years Alcoa, Loudon, and CAK were top teams in the state.  So yes Polk would have had a struggle getting past these teams.  My point was that, put in any other region, our district would have seen success.  Like I said, in 2011 we were hosed on a call that cost us the win at Bledsoe, the #1 team in that region.  They made it to the third round to eventually get the dog beat out of them by Alcoa. 

Agreed.  I was just pointing out that the teams played in the years we were 9-1 and 8-2 should have been in another classification, if the realignment would have come earlier I think we would have went further.  Remember too that before Loudon came into our district they were strong as well.  By far for a couple of years Alcoa, Loudon, and CAK were top teams in the state.  So yes Polk would have had a struggle getting past these teams.  My point was that, put in any other region, our district would have seen success.  Like I said, in 2011 we were hosed on a call that cost us the win at Bledsoe, the #1 team in that region.  They made it to the third round to eventually get the dog beat out of them by Alcoa. 

How many players does McMinn Central have coming back for 2015? Do any radio stations carry the Central games?

Do you think Polk will be improved enough in the next season or two to make the Playoffs?

I see Polk beating Sweetwater and Seqouyah. Just my opinion.  Tough thing is they have to play WV and ND and Loudon.  It seems odd that they could potentially finish 3rd in the district with maybe 3 wins.  They play a tough schedule.

BigDave, Polk could potetially go down to 2A with new classification.  You can also pick up the game via the internet using tunein radio app.  Go to local station and search wcph (homegrownradio).  1220

I see Polk beating Sweetwater and Seqouyah. Just my opinion.  Tough thing is they have to play WV and ND and Loudon.  It seems odd that they could potentially finish 3rd in the district with maybe 3 wins.  They play a tough schedule.

BigDave, Polk could potetially go down to 2A with new classification.  You can also pick up the game via the internet using tunein radio app.  Go to local station and search wcph (homegrownradio).  1220

It would be very good for Polk to go down to 2A. I'd be happy with that,PCHS could possibly be a Playoff contender every season. Thanks for telling me the radio station that carries MC games online!

Edited by BigDave1967

They return some good talent, but lose some great senior leadership.

Central has some great senior leadership this year starting with your son. I hope that type of leadership carries over to some juniors for next season. Central has quite a bit of talent coming back the next two seasons from the Englewood league itself. I know the guys who coached them when they were 8th graders and they did a great job teaching fundamentals and playing hard.