Does an NAIA team have less talent than an NCAA 1 or 2 team

Booger

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on guys....for the most part the student athletes playing at the NCAA are better then the student athletes playing at the NAIA level. They either didn't have the grades or their talent level isn't up to the level of the NCAA Div I players or they would have been playing for a NCAA school. Now there are occasions were a player wants to go to a smaller school and that happens to be a NAIA school.

Of course the top NAIA teams can play with and beat the lower level NCAA Div I schools but if the top NAIA school played the top NCAA Div I school my opinion is the NCAA school would win. Better athletes, better facilities, more funding, more quality players.

Your argument does hold water.

I think on average it is true NCAA D1 schools will be stronger but like any level of sports with very good recruiting good local pools and a likable coach the NAIA team can be as strong or stronger than many D1 or D2 teams. I am waiting to see how Lee does in D2 in post season to evaluate them under their new recruiting guidelines. But they have beat the odds or averages in NAIA.

Cumberland is good but they get their players from Canada.

Couldn't you see where the best players are going to get a read on the best programs? Are NAIA schools battling UNC/UT/GA for highly rated/regarded players? The best players in our club go to UGA, Louisville, Miami, and the SEC schools.

As far as quality goes Cumberland has a great program and coach Gavin McKinney is a great teacher of the game.

Cumberland is good but they get their players from Canada.

Couldn't you see where the best players are going to get a read on the best programs? Are NAIA schools battling UNC/UT/GA for highly rated/regarded players? The best players in our club go to UGA, Louisville, Miami, and the SEC schools.

As far as quality goes Cumberland has a great program and coach Gavin McKinney is a great teacher of the game.

Would never presume to speak for someone named Booger, but I think he and I both understand that the NAIA kids would not compete against the NDs and UNCs of the world. Never really entered my mind. Its more the teams like Lee of old vs. the .... smaller, similar schools that happen to be D2 or even D1. And, really, I'm not even trying to compare program to program but individual players really. Unless, it is a big-time D1 school, essentially the player is playing college sports, perhaps for no more than book money, and good for them if that is what they want.

• 3 weeks later...

We are talking women's soccer, not college football.  Scholarship dollars have a lot to do with school selection, and not just athletic scholarships.  NCAA rules are much different than NAIA rules.  The most money goes to DIII players in the NCAA through "academic grant loopholes".  NAIA has far fewer restrictions than NCAA and some schools are much better funded at NAIA level than NCAA.  Many good players would rather go to a smaller school, not get the beatdown from D1 coaches, actually get to play as an underclassman, and actually enjoy playing the game, and oh yes, get a diploma.

So when it comes to what level is better, the answer is obvious but not universal. 

And poor UTC only funds about half of their allowed scholarships.  A set up to failure sadly. 

Lee is off to a good start in DII!  Yelton has done a good job pulling in talent to Cleveland TN.

We are talking women's soccer, not college football.  Scholarship dollars have a lot to do with school selection, and not just athletic scholarships.  NCAA rules are much different than NAIA rules.  The most money goes to DIII players in the NCAA through "academic grant loopholes".  NAIA has far fewer restrictions than NCAA and some schools are much better funded at NAIA level than NCAA.  Many good players would rather go to a smaller school, not get the beatdown from D1 coaches, actually get to play as an underclassman, and actually enjoy playing the game, and oh yes, get a diploma.

So when it comes to what level is better, the answer is obvious but not universal. 

And poor UTC only funds about half of their allowed scholarships.  A set up to failure sadly. 

Lee is off to a good start in DII!  Yelton has done a good job pulling in talent to Cleveland TN.

...the funding to the UTC womens soccer program is not the only reason for their failures.....Booger just saying  :rolleyes:

Year   Season   Conference   GA & GF

2013   5-13-0     0-10-0             25-58

2012   3-13-1     1-10-0             16-48

2011   6-10-2     1-9-1               31-44

2010   4-13-2     2-7-2               20-41

....and more of the same to follow if one cares to dig it up

....this year(2014), UTC is 1-10-1 (no conference win) with there only win coming over Tennessee Temple, who's team got beat 5-0 by Boogerettes U17 travel team in a scrimmage and UTC's tie was to Alabama A&M who has not won a game this year and gone 13-54-4 in the same time frame....

....2004 was the last winning season or last time this coach fielded a team that went at least 50% in conference play if I am not mistaken

....Coach has been there 15 years, and has only had 2 seasons where he got his team above 50% in conference and those 2 season were prior to 2004 Booger believes

....Booger knows UTC does not support this program like some of the other program in this conference or any other conference they have been in; but they have been able at times to field some pretty decent talent and some of that locally; even today the guy coaching can't get off the very bottom of the conference...there have been a fair share of very talented girls from around the area over the years who would liked to have stayed close to home and played; but the writing is on the wall

...UTC's support of the program or a non-productive coach with a less than attractive coaching style, that had a warm spell 12-13 years ago for 2 years in a then weak conference

...where is the failure of their program, Tribefan? It lies right there in the preceding Booger Words. Which one carrys the most blame? Booger leaving that to each to voice; but I know one has been standing on the sidelines too long.

Booger just sayin  :roll: 

....and Booger sees most of the home games when he is not touring the world

My daughter went to the Vandy ID camp in July and there were 80 kids from all over the country there.

Many of these kids played for top clubs in CA, TX and other states with decent soccer. Do colleges like Lee, Cumberland, David Lipscomb, etc... attract the same number of high level players?

You can have a great experience at a smaller school but to suggest more than a very few small schools have decent Div I talent is a huge stretch.

Watching Lipscomb, Belmont, Cumberland, Auburn, and Morehead proved to me that SEC players are much better in average than lower level schools and those schools were better than perinniel nationally ranked Cumberland.