Fayetteville's Tigers take on Huntland

Varo

Since no one has started a thread about this district match-up, I will.  Here's hoping Coach Palmer's boys get back on track going against a tough Huntland team.  Coming off a loss to 4A Page, FHS takes their young team twenty minutes down the road to claim a much needed road win.  Maybe Huntland will be too worried about MTCS and will overlook us.  Fayetteville has the ability to win it, just a matter of the kids putting it all together for four quarters.  If there's any hope for post-season play, the Tigers need to get a "W"!  Can't afford to spot the Hornets 7 or 14 points and us try to play catch-up.  Thoughts?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know both teams fairly well. My brain says Huntland big but I know you Tigers have some athletes,  

Tell me this- is #32 still active? That kid can play? How have ya'll seemingly gone off the rails this year? Losing to Moore Co? 

Hey Varo--what's going on with Fayetteville this year...I expected a lot more this year based on the team we saw last year.

Fayetteville has disappointed this season. I expected so much more.

Common sense would say Huntland's game is in the zone and Fayetteville has dug themselves into a hole they couldn't get out of. . . but when you are dealing with  teenagers, common sense goes out the window.  The Fayetteville fan base is just as confused as you are Piratetom.  And, as disappointed in losing games we should-a could-a.  Moore County? At home? Really?  Eagleville this year?  Really?  MTCS early in the season? Really?  We saw the majority of these same kids make something out of nothing and succeed to the (almost) highest levels last year.  But that was last year.  We lost eight seniors, vocal leaders, and that's had an effect on a team that rostered around thirty last year.  We also lost one kid who is a junior this year, who decided not to play.  A beast at linebacker, he was a hitter with speed and a nose for the ball.  This would have been a breakout year for him.  This year we have three seniors, #32 is one of them.  From the outside looking in, I can't tell that these three have assumed or wanted that leadership role that is so crucial with a young team.  #32 gives it 100% on every down, and God forbid he gets to the edge on you, but with 29 something kids on the squad, playing offense/defense/special teams they all wear down.  They don't give up, they just bend and bend and bend until something breaks.  Coverage, blocking assignments, tackles.  Most of these lopsided losses have been teams keeping up the pressure well into the fourth.  That's the way it should be.  But when we give up a big play and points early, then we are playing catch up into the fourth quarter.  Right now we are starting a freshman QB, and he's doing better than expected and as well as we hoped.  He has a small overachieving line protecting him (when they do protect).  The couple of times against Page when he was able to look around he made things happen offensively and the whole team plays better.  This week we have a couple of guys coming back off injury that could help.  All in all, we have three tough games ahead, two of which are district games.  The one Friday is the one all the FHS fans will put all our eggs into, win it, and we can entertain the idea of post-season play.  One game at a time. . . . .