Who will Powell get for a coach now?

vol4life2

Community. I have been saying this for months. The Powell community runs the football program. It's not a bad thing as long as the know what there doing. But this last clown? The wing t? Really, did they not know what type of coach he was , or the type of offense he run?

Webb has won a championship or 2 with the wing-t if I'm not mistaken. ☺ðŸ†

I agree with you as i posted but the community holds some of the blame here at least for some of the problem. I attended every game and heard what the community at large and specifically some parents said to each other and to the players during and after games. This guy was not a good fit here and did not seem to be a good football coach at least on this level but he did not have a shot. I cannot speak to the things that happened in the off season and the things that went on in the pre season. I can tell you that I heard over and over again that this guy wanted total control over the program. This was stated as a complaint. He should have control, it was his program. I also heard a lot of people complaining that he was changing things that Matt Lowe did and that was a problem. Well Matt left for a situation that he feels is better and I cannot blame him for that but this community needs to understand that each coach has his own system and procedures. The only way that the team can succeed is for the community to get over the loss of Matt and get behind the next head coach no matter who he is. DO not expect that person t do things the way they were doe. Embrace the change and get the program back where it should be.

Agree with you on Matt.  Matt is a good friend and a great football coach, but he has moved on and he isn't coming back to Powell.  Powell folks need to get past thinking that he is coming back.  That's just not going to happen. 

That said, there is something to be said about the blueprint he left in terms of building a football program.  He was the coach of the team, and he coached his team.  He also identified and trusted people to do the things that needed to be done in support of the football program. Were there some issues?  Yeah, but not issues that couldn't be corrected.  For the most part there were support people in place who did a great job with what their task were and those folks continued through Rang and Kilgore.  Both of those guys were smart enough to see that those things weren't broken and didn't need to be fixed. 

The last guy, however, wanted everything under his thumb, no matter if it was something that was running well or not.  A large majority of the coaches whom I have talked to would love to have the support system that Powell had when the last guy took over and decided to completely dismantle.  He knew everything.  Just ask him.  He was quick to tell you how much he knew about running a program, which was pretty humorous given how he had been a nomadic coach who couldn't stay in one place for very long.  He didn't give a rats behind about the traditions nor the community aspect that Powell football had that made it a really good high school football program.  That's the primary problem folks had issues with him about.  

You are right - a coach in any program needs to run his football program, but most want to be able to work at a place where the community cares about the program and gets involved to help make it successful.  Powell has been one of those places for a long time.  This guy couldn't see the forest for the trees, however.  

Edited by HTV

So when will Powell have a coach in place? Any idea who all has applied or have  they already began interviews? I haven't really heard a lot & there aren't too many names being mentioned. Looking like an in house hire possibly?

It's my understanding that interviews haven't started yet - maybe later this week or next week most likely.  

I have only been able to confirm that one coach from the current staff has applied.  May be another or two, but I don't think so at this point.  

I do know of several applicants through talking with them, but I am not going to name names because it wouldn't be fair to them in regards to their current positions if they aren't offered the Powell job, or ending up deciding that they don't want the job and stay where they are.   

From those that I do know of who have applied, I believe it is a better pool of applicants this year than it was last year.  

Edited by HTV

It's my understanding that interviews haven't started yet - maybe later this week or next week most likely.  

I have only been able to confirm that one coach from the current staff has applied.  May be another or two, but I don't think so at this point.  

I do know of several applicants through talking with them, but I am not going to name names because it wouldn't be fair to them in regards to their current positions if they aren't offered the Powell job, or ending up deciding that they don't want the job and stay where they are.   

From those that I do know of who have applied, I believe it is a better pool of applicants this year than it was last yea

HTV no names? lol. Let me ask you this has a former head coach at a school in Knox County applied?