Who will Powell get for a coach now?

vol4life2

Ok, if the community isn't the problem. Than what is? Powell has always been tight. It's hard to get excepted at Powell ,if not from Powell.

HTV said that's a thing of the past. Ok. I give in. What's the problem ? I'm not from Powell, but I know a lot in Powell. The youth sport are big enough, and great support from the parents and the community. But, maybe a little to much. Your not going to change that program in 1 / 2 years. And shouldn't be expected. The community is the problem.

I moved to the Powell area in 1988, when Clark Duncan was in his 3rd or 4th year at Powell. The only other head coach that Powell has had between Duncan and Matt Lowe was Larry Stephens in the early-mid 2000s. So I guess I don't understand what you are getting at. Powell hasn't been a revolving door for coaches, until the last couple of seasons. This is a program that had plenty of stability, prior to Derek Rang's exit. Everything unraveled after the KCS-Rang fiasco, and that had zero to do with the Powell community.

So that leaves just the last 2 coaches. Tobi Kilgore moved into an admin position at Karns (a career move up). And we all know the situation with John Allen. So again, what am I missing about the Powell community?

Edited by osunut2

I'm from Maryville and I see someone that lives in a subdivision almost across the street from Powell High School. I do enjoy going over there and it's a nice area and I can't imagine why no one would want to be a part of that community. When we played Powell last everything was on one side of the field and now I noticed they have put in visitors stands which is nice. It's so hard to relate to what has happened lately to a good football program in such a short time. I do blame Knox County for most of the disasters that have lead to this point. If this happened in Maryville all I can say is the guilty parties would have been tared  and feathered and run out of town on a rail. 

I'm from Maryville and I see someone that lives in a subdivision almost across the street from Powell High School. I do enjoy going over there and it's a nice area and I can't imagine why no one would want to be a part of that community. When we played Powell last everything was on one side of the field and now I noticed they have put in visitors stands which is nice. It's so hard to relate to what has happened lately to a good football program in such a short time. I do blame Knox County for most of the disasters that have lead to this point. If this happened in Maryville all I can say is the guilty parties would have been tared  and feathered and run out of town on a rail. 

I think most Powell folks would admit that after Rang resigned, Powell was about to enter uncharted territory. This just isn't a program that has ever gone through anything like that before.

I don't live in the Powell area anymore, but I'm still connected, and the community still takes a lot of pride in the school/Powell athletics. This "problem" that ktown points out is a head scratcher to me, because it's not like this is some kind of perennial issue at Powell. Powell didn't have a problem until Derek Rang was hung out to dry by KCS (obviously, he put himself in that position, but the way KCS handled it led to his ultimate departure). Tobi Kilgore made a career move when he took an admin position at Karns, which further added to this mess (I don't blame anyone who makes an upward career move). So that led us to John Allen. I think the community had every right to say what they had to say about him, considering everything that happened this year (both on and off the field). The decision to hire him essentially deepened the hole that Powell was already trying to dig out of.

It'll take a few years, but if Powell/KCS can find someone interested in settling down at Powell for a handful of years, they'll get competitive again. The talent is there, they just have to keep it in the zone.

The talent is there, they just have to keep it in the zone.

And to add to that, Nut, while the private schools have hurt all of the area schools from a talent leaving the zone standpoint, it has an even bigger problem at Powell through this coaching revolving door period.

And let me get it straight that I am all for parental choice in education.  I have no issues with any parent sending their children to private schools, as long as it is above board and done in accordance with TSSAA rules if the kids participate in athletics.  

That said, the problems that Powell has gone through has opened doors for private schools to sell what they have to offer for Powell zoned kids.  Until there is an indication of some stability within the Powell program that will continue to happen. Unfortunately I believe that it's going to take several classes for that trend to begin to work itself out.   

Didn't Coach Duncan have some transfers play for him back in the 90's?  I can't remember there names but some rb's and a Qb that lived out of zone went to Powell.  Then there was the kids that transferred from Central and the Ut coach's son that left Powell and went to Central.  Seems like everybody recruited except for a few schools in Knox Co.

Didn't Coach Duncan have some transfers play for him back in the 90's?  I can't remember there names but some rb's and a Qb that lived out of zone went to Powell.  Then there was the kids that transferred from Central and the Ut coach's son that left Powell and went to Central.  Seems like everybody recruited except for a few schools in Knox Co.

Yes, there were quite a few out of zone kids at Powell during that period, as well as at pretty much every school in town.  It wasn't difficult to get a transfer in that day and time and the athletic eligibility rules concerning transfers both in the county and with the TSSAA were less stringent.

However, when the Office of Civil Rights threatened a lawsuit against Knox County back in the mid/late 90s the system had to tighten its transfer rules and made it more difficult to get a transfer, and especially if it was in any way for "athletic purposes". Yes, there are still loopholes, but not nearly as many as there were back in the time period you are referring to.  

Very much a different day in Knox County.  

Could Duncan be making his way back? I don't see him coaching at South Doyle next year due to the fact all their talent graduating this year

No.  Coach Duncan told me on the air after the game last Friday that he plans on being back at South-Doyle next year.

The cupboard isn't bare at South-Doyle.  Yep, they lost a ton in this senior class, but there were some talented sophomores that played and this year's freshman class is really deep and talented.  

Obviously I don't see 12-1 again next year, but it's not going to be a bad year, either.  

2016/2017 could be really good.  

Coach Duncan has told me on several occasions that he feels like he has plenty left in the tank.  I believe he'll be around for a few more years.  

But he is not going to Powell.  You can take that to the bank.  

Edited by HTV

No.  Coach Duncan told me on the air after the game last Friday that he plans on being back at South-Doyle next year.

The cupboard isn't bare at South-Doyle.  Yep, they lost a ton in this senior class, but there were some talented sophomores that played and this year's freshman class is really deep and talented.  

Obviously I don't see 12-1 again next year, but it's not going to be a bad year, either.  

2016/2017 could be really good.  

Coach Duncan has told me on several occasions that he feels like he has plenty left in the tank.  I believe he'll be around for a few more years.  

But he is not going to Powell.  You can take that to the bank.  

I agree, plenty of good young talent, especially at running back where they did get plenty of snaps this season.