Germantown High School Head Coaching Position Now Open

Rob_M

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when Germantown was a West State powerhouse. Those matchups with Gallatin were huge back then. Best of luck finding the right guy.

Well, Rob_M is a Millington guy and I'm a Whitehaven guy, so neither of us have a dog in the fight really. We were just making conversation actually.

Well, Rob_M is a Millington guy and I'm a Whitehaven guy, so neither of us have a dog in the fight really. We were just making conversation actually.

Yep- Personally not a big fan of Germantown. But, I do respect their history. They were the power in the 80's and 90's in this area and will get back to that point with the right hire. Too strong of youth program already in place not too. I suspect that if the right hire is made that Germantown will be back towards the top within a few short years. 

Southwind, I hear.

from the Commercial Appeal

Southwind football coach Cedric Miller steps down

John Varlas

cedric_miller_1415921369774_9584013_ver1

Picture by Yalonda M. James

After almost two decades of coaching football, Cedric Miller is ready to become a full-time dad.

Miller, the only coach Southwind High has had, announced Thursday he’s stepping down after seven seasons. He also is leaving his track and field coaching duties.

“It’s just time for something new,†he said. “I never had a chance to watch (sons) little Cedric (now at Missouri State) and Kylan (a senior at Southwind) play middle school football.

“I’ve got an 11-year-old and a 9-year-old and I want to be able to able to see them play. I’ve been a father to other people’s kids on the football field for the last 17, 18 years. Now, I want to be a dad to my own kids.â€

Miller didn’t completely close the door to a return, though.

“I’m not saying I won’t go back,†he said. “But I’m just going to take some time off and look at my options. There’s a time and place for everything.â€

Miller was a football and basketball standout at Fairley High before going on to play at the University of Memphis in the mid-1990s.

After leaving Wooddale, he took over the fledgling Southwind program in 2007 and turned the Jaguars into a solid program, making the playoffs in three of the last four seasons. The Jaguars missed the postseason this year, finishing 4-6.

Southwind finished 8-4 in 2013, highlighted by winning three games in a seven-day stretch. Miller also sent several players to college programs, including former and current Memphis Tigers Lonnie Ballentine, Al Bond, Christian Johnson and Kendrick Golden.

Another player, senior defensive end John McDougle, has committed to the Tigers for next season.

“Winning three games in seven days, that will go down in history,†Miller said. “The things we’ve accomplished at Southwind in football and track ... nothing can tarnish that. I leave with my head held high.â€

Two good jobs opening. I figure coach Rutnerford will get one of these. Coach Major Wright may go after the other if he chosses to leave Raleigh-Egypt after his first year.

Edited by kwc

KWC- I really like Coach Rutherford personally, but I am not sure that he will ever get the opportunity to be a head coach here in Memphis again. I am surprised that he is on the staff at Raliegh Egypt. Too many skeletons in his closet so to speak. Too bad. He was a really good coach and was a dream to interview on the radio.

KWC- I really like Coach Rutherford personally, but I am not sure that he will ever get the opportunity to be a head coach here in Memphis again. I am surprised that he is on the staff at Raliegh Egypt. Too many skeletons in his closet so to speak. Too bad. He was a really good coach and was a dream to interview on the radio.

Rob_M:

Coach Tim Thompson is now the head coach at KIPP. He was the head coach at Ridgeway at one point for a short While AFTER he left Fayette Ware (The only time Fayette Ware had a winning program that I can remember). All this after his three year hiatus from coaching AFTER his time at Melrose.

Coach Rutherford WILL BE a head coach at a high school near you ... soon. It may very well be at one of these two.

Edited by kwc

Rob_M:

Coach Tim Thompson is now the head coach at KIPP. He was the head coach at Ridgeway at one point for a short While AFTER he left Fayette Ware (The only time Fayette Ware had a winning program that I can remember). All this after his three year hiatus from coaching AFTER his time at Melrose.

Coach Rutherford WILL BE a head coach at a high school near you ... soon. It may very well be at one of these two.

Oh I agree...if someone like Thompson can get a coaching job then Rutherford will as well...Tim Thompson=Racist.

Oh I agree...if someone like Thompson can get a coaching job then Rutherford will as well...Tim Thompson=Racist.

My whole point was to emphasize the ability to bounce back from a bad history. This racist comment is NOT endorsed by me nor do I agree with it. I want that made perfectly clear.