Let's talk CAK, CPA, Notre Dame and Lipscomb Academy!

Apache

I'm pretty sure the thread is about getting rid of privates, but maybe I don't have a clue about that either. You seem particularly hateful towards privates so I replied to you.... I am guessing you wanted to go to a private school but weren't recruited and so your feelings are hurt....

So privates do recruit then?

Other states have already implemented the public/private split and I would like to know why the TSSAA is dragging their feet on this issue when the majority of member schools (public and private) want the split.

CPA the last three seasons have ended the dreams of a state championship appearance of four small towns.

2012- Cheatham Co.

2013- Fairview and Lewis Co.

2014- Westmoreland

All these schools had arguably their best teams ever, but did not get a chance to play in Cookeville due to what I say is an unfair advantage. You may disagree but it is my opinion.

Edited by Gerry Bertier
  • Upvote 1

So privates do recruit then?

Other states have already implemented the public/private split and I would like to know why the TSSAA is dragging their feet on this issue when the majority of member schools (public and private) want the split.

CPA the last three seasons have ended the dreams of a state championship appearance of four small towns.

2012- Cheatham Co.

2013- Fairview and Lewis Co.

2014- Westmoreland

All these schools had arguably their best teams ever, but did not get a chance to play in Cookeville due to what I say is an unfair advantage. You may disagree but it is my opinion.

That is tough for those teams... but they had great seasons.  The point is not everyone can win a state championship....  How many super bowls have the Cleveland Browns been to?  They got knocked out by the Denver Broncos several times in the 80's.  Is that unfair for the Browns?  Should the Broncos be penalized for being better?  The Pittsburgh Steelers have won more than their fair share of super bowls.  Should they now be disqualified from playing until all teams have been allowed to play?   Or maybe we should create 2 super Bowls... 1 for teams that have won a super bowl and one for teams that haven't....  The Nashville Predators have never played in a Stanley Cup finals.  Let's just let them play this year to be "fair".  Again, trying to level the playing field is a slippery slope toward making a state championship a joke...

That is tough for those teams... but they had great seasons.  The point is not everyone can win a state championship....  How many super bowls have the Cleveland Browns been to?  They got knocked out by the Denver Broncos several times in the 80's.  Is that unfair for the Browns?  Should the Broncos be penalized for being better?  The Pittsburgh Steelers have won more than their fair share of super bowls.  Should they now be disqualified from playing until all teams have been allowed to play?   Or maybe we should create 2 super Bowls... 1 for teams that have won a super bowl and one for teams that haven't....  The Nashville Predators have never played in a Stanley Cup finals.  Let's just let them play this year to be "fair".  Again, trying to level the playing field is a slippery slope toward making a state championship a joke...

I think it's a joke now! If you have ability to recruit or attract players your at a big advantage.. This is not about everybody getting a trophy, as your trying to make it. It's about disproportionate percentage of schools with this advantage making it deep into the playoffs year in year out. Furthermore, I find it interesting that many on here refer to a schools ability recruit within the T$$AA guidelines. I guess you don't have to know or understand the rules if they are not relevant to you! Just amother indicator that it's going on!

One of those teams went from scoring 61 points for the whole season a few years ago to hitting that by halftime a couple of weeks ago. Just better coaching, I'm sure.

You have no clue what your talking about.

Notre Dames record

2001 4-7

2002 4-7

2003 1-9

2004 8-4

2005 13-1

2006 8-3

2007 5-5

2008 4-6

2009 3-7

2010 1-9

2011 5-6

2012 9-3

2013 9-4

2014 11-1

So you brainiacs tell me how much has ND affected the playoffs over the last 14 years? I guess we recruit only on the years we have won. Our new coaching staff has built the program back up. I want you all to tell me why would a head coach jeopardize his career(hopes of coaching in college one day) just to win a few games? You all know (unlike Alcoa) that talent is cyclical. Every now and then you'll have a good class come through and sometimes an above average class. So the next time you open your mouth about Notre Dame please be intelligent and do some research first.

Edited by IrishTrickster

That is tough for those teams... but they had great seasons. The point is not everyone can win a state championship.... How many super bowls have the Cleveland Browns been to? They got knocked out by the Denver Broncos several times in the 80's. Is that unfair for the Browns? Should the Broncos be penalized for being better? The Pittsburgh Steelers have won more than their fair share of super bowls. Should they now be disqualified from playing until all teams have been allowed to play? Or maybe we should create 2 super Bowls... 1 for teams that have won a super bowl and one for teams that haven't.... The Nashville Predators have never played in a Stanley Cup finals. Let's just let them play this year to be "fair". Again, trying to level the playing field is a slippery slope toward making a state championship a joke...

Answer my question please, in your comment you said private schools recruit.

Your example is a terrible one.

First professional sports teams are on a level playing field because they have a salary cap and revenue sharing that helps with smaller market teams ability to compete. Second that is like comparing apples to oranges. Now at this point you are probably thinking I am going to nail him with the multiplier that is suppose to level the playing field. The multiplier is a joke because teams only go up one class and it outs obvious out has not work like it was intended to.

It is very clear privates have a large advantage in all sports not only in football. Girls soccer, volleyball, baseball, softball etc.

Once again the TSSAA is suppose to serve its constituents and when the overwhelming majority want the public private split, why do they refuse to even seriously consider it? We should follow the Georgia model.

Just last week my son whined and cried and complained that his older brother got more Halloween candy than he did.  He cried & said stuff like, "It's not fair, he gets more every year" and "Why don't I get the same amount that he gets"

I still whooped him & told him that life doesn't hand anything to you & if you really want something, quit your dern crying and go out and work harder for it.

Guess some of you could learn a few lessons from a six year old.

Gerry.......really poor example but here is some help for you.

McMinn Central trounced the state championship dreams of Grundy County and Red Bank.

Pigeon Forge destroyed the entire psyche of West Greene and ruined their dream of a state championship.

Westmoreland upended Fairview's pipe dream of a state championship (sorry that one hit a little close to home).

White House Heritage dashed the hopes of getting the Champions to the Championship game.

Milan (eeee-gads, a public school) battered and beat Camden and Westview and now it's not fair, but these small communities also do not get an opportunity to play in the title game.

Hickman County is the biggest unfairness of all because they are a 6 seed and actually upset the home teams in their home stadium in front of the home fans in their own public school home towns of Manassas and Waverly Central.

My son has some trophies from his t-ball and soccer that you guys can have if you all want them.

It is very clear privates have a large advantage in all sports not only in football. Girls soccer, volleyball, baseball, softball etc.

Once again the TSSAA is suppose to serve its constituents and when the overwhelming majority want the public private split, why do they refuse to even seriously consider it? We should follow the Georgia model.          

Make no mistake the TSSAA has no interest in serving its constituents. Never has and never will. The debate over the public and private split has gone on for years. The TSSAA has lacked the integrity to live up to its own mandate of "Do What is Right". Instead they have purposely found ways to accommodate keeping most privates with the publics. When privates dominated 1A and 2A football, the multiplier was created. This simply moved the private problem to 3A and 4A. The largest public schools would be unaffected and it remained so with the creation the Super 32. Large public schools do not have play private schools. If they had to schedule Baylor, Ensworth, and McCallie I would think their outlook would be somewhat different. GB is quite right in his assessment of the domination of private schools in all minor sports. The two schools that played for last year's state baseball championship were CAK and Catholic.

There are some small privates that continue to operate without taking advantage of the rules and it the spirit of fair play. Others take advantage of loopholes and the lack of enforcement from TSSAA to attract players who would otherwise be at public school programs. It is sad to see the demise of once outstanding programs. Take a look at some of the public schools in Knox and Hamilton County. What has happened to schools in and around Nashville. But I think as private schools continue to open, there is finally some negative impact being felt at some programs. Catholic and Norte Dame success have affected programs like Boyd Buchannan, Grace Baptist, CCS and even to a degree Webb, CAK and Grace Christian.

Without a change is leadership with the TSSAA and that would include Board of Control Members, nothing much is going to change. It is time I think for public school administrators to call the TSSAA to task and resolve the private/public debate in a fair and equitable manner that will be in the best interest of the student athlete.

One of those teams went from scoring 61 points for the whole season a few years ago to hitting that by halftime a couple of weeks ago. Just better coaching, I'm sure.

lets check the points ND has scored the last few years Indian and the points that have been score on Grundy and your Indians:

ND

YEAR - POINTS SCORED (PF)

2013)  350

2012)  375

2011) 343

2010)  61

2009)  96

Grundy County (D1AA)

YEAR) PF - PA        PUBLIC SCHOOL OPPONENT SCORES

2014)  288 - 405.....Signal Mtn (District) 70, Marion Co (D1A) 49, South Pittsburg (D1A) 49

2013)  253 - 391.....Signal (District) 63, Upperman 56, Marion Co (D1A) 55, Silverdale (D1A) 49

2012)  302 - 341.....South Pittsburg (D1A) 58, Cheatham 69

2011)  207 - 294.....Bledsoe Co (District) 55

2010)  261 - 257.....South Pittsburg (D1A) 53

....not one of these years was ND the highest scoring team on Grundy and smaller D1A schools scored more points on them than did ND

Sequatchie Co (D1AA)

YEAR) PF - PA        PUBLIC SCHOOL OPPONENT SCORES

2014)  224 - 306.....Signal Mtn (District) 58, ND 35

2013)  255 - 327.....South Pittsburg (D1A) 48, Marion Co (D1A) 52, Polk Co 49, ND 34

2012)  145 - 355.....Signal (District) 61, South Pittsburg (D1A) 49, ND 41

2011)  318 - 254.....Signal (District) 56, South Pittsburg (D1A) 41, ND 14

2010)  363 - 266.....Signal (D1A) 42, Goodpasture 54, ND 14

....now as for your SC Indians, not one year did ND score more points on you than another team; as in the case w/ Grundy more points were scored on you by smaller D1A schools than did ND........up to 2012 we had not beat you; yall had beat us in (2011) 26-14, (2010) 42-14, (2009) 41-14, w/ 2 of those years beating us down pretty good

....takes a good look at your Indians PF & PA stats over the last 5 years....you have increasing had more points scored on you annually while putting up less points on the scoreboard and you want to single out ND for this decline in your program.....Of course you are not happy being on the bottom and neither were we and for the moment we are not....ND is not the sole reason for your doormat status, we are just a piece of it.......you are 3-7, 5-6, 2-8 over the last 3 years.......You need to look elsewhere

Booger just sayin, Indian  :thumb: 

Without a change is leadership with the TSSAA and that would include Board of Control Members, nothing much is going to change. It is time I think for public school administrators to call the TSSAA to task and resolve the private/public debate in a fair and equitable manner that will be in the best interest of the student athlete.

The TSSAA Board of Control is already 9 public school administrators vs 0 private school administrators.  How much more "fair and equitable manner" do you want?

Just think what Obama and them damnocrats could have accomplished with the liberal agenda if they could have the same "fair and equitable" numbers in the House & Senate as the 9 vs 0 that the TSSAA currently (& always) enlist.

Edited by bulldawgman