Maryville... What are they doing different there?

Roba22

Ok that was just a basic fan answer. What makes their staff so much better? and you don't just "luck" into that kind of talent over a 14 year span. They are "producing" it year in and out. all i am asking is what are they doing thats so much better then other schools across this state?

Also would they ever consider playing another power-house like a Hoover or Don Bosco Prep or a Oscar Smith? would like to see how they would do outside the state against other power programs.

They want play anybody worth a crap outside LIL OLE TennESsee!!!..Just going to keep running and owning this STATE!!

They want play anybody worth a crap outside LIL OLE TennESsee!!!..Just going to keep running and owning this STATE!!

I think the Rebels should set up a GOFUNDME account.  Then, when all the folks who want the Rebels to play someone in another state donate enough money for the travel, the Rebels should schedule such a game.  Funny how those without any skin in the game want to complain and criticize.  Why don't you be the first to step up and donate the first $100 to help.

I was a transplant kid.  I have lived in Kentucky, and in Murfreesboro, Clarksville, and Maryville.  All of my family is from Crossville.  I tell you that because the only place I lived that I constantly heard about high school football was Maryville.  I moved to Maryville in late elementary school and I still remember guys like Brandon Waters, John Raulston, Drew Galyon, and a good chunk of the class of 2003 talking about winning state their senior years.  They were convinced that they were going to do it.  Even when we played middle school football and teams like Cleveland would beat the snot out of us... those guys still believed they would win state their senior year.  They ended up winning their first ring in 2000 as sophomores, and didn't stop winning them until they graduated.  I think after that point the other classes believed they could win.  They didn't want to let everyone down.  So, I think that is one of the biggest factors... a lot of confidence and heart.

Next... we have the best offensive line coach in the entire state.  David Ellis has been at Maryville for a long time.  They've been running the football with guys who aren't D1 talent (other than Carl Stewart) for a long time.  They are able to do this because Ellis can take almost anyone and make him an amazing fundamental offensive lineman.  For years we didn't have big kids... John Raulston being the perfect example.  Raulston runs about 5'10" or so and weighed maybe 215 pounds and yet he consistently graded out as our best offensive lineman in the early 2000s.  (Sorry if I didn't get your measurements right John, lol).  Now Ellis is working with some bigger kids, but I think since 2000 Maryville has had maybe two or three guys that ended up as D-1 offensive linemen.  

You also have to take into account that Maryville is probably one of the only schools to have two state championship head coaches on their coaching staff.  On the other side of the ball Coach Jim Gaylor continues to impress.  He won a state title as a head coach and has been on the MHS staff for a long time.  He doesn't do anything too fancy with defense, but he demands his players give 100 percent and he does a darn good job of getting almost every team we face out of their comfort zone.  If you run he is going to make you have to pass the ball.  If you like to throw it then he's going to make your QBs day a long one.  I think the Helton kid from 2001/2002 is still running and having nightmares about Drew Galyon.

Last week it was kind of amusing watching the Maryville warmup and the Oakland warmup.  They were standing back to at one point and the Oakland kids were by and large much bigger and more physically imposing than the Maryville ones.  You can look at some of the Maryville kids and you don't see them as being able to compete with the size of Oakland, siegel, Riverdale, Blackman, Science Hill, etc.  What they lack in size they make up for in discipline and fundamentals.  They don't make many mistakes, and make fewer when it matters most.  They might not physically beat their guy, but they will be put in a position to make a play and they make it the majority of the time.

Anyway, this is getting a little long winded so I will wrap it up.  I could probably rant about it for quite a while.  lol