CLASS A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP: UNION CITY VS. COALFIELD

JDOGG80

I'm a Tennessee fan and a UC fan. The Tennessee fan wants Stewart to be as good as advertised while the UC fan wants the Tornadoes to be able to handle him. Jernigan, whose grandfather(football) and father(track) were both Tennessee Vols, will probably get that assignment. The last 2 years he has taken on the Givens kid(Ole Miss commitment) from NCS and clearly whipped him on both sides of the line in both games. Remarkable for a young man trying to finish his senior year on 2 bad knees. I haven't seen Stewart play so I have to assume he's really good. We'll all know Friday. If we can't handle him with 1 man, we'll use 2, but we won't change what we do. This battle might turn out to be the best part of the game.

Both teams have earned the right to play in this game and deserve the respect of the other. Fans from both schools should support their team without minimizing the accomplishments of the other. Let both teams savor the moment.

Good post and spot on. The Jernigan kid is as good a HS lineman as I have seen in 40 years.

Could Jackets34 and Jellyroll take their conversation elsewhere this thread is about the fact that Union City is superior to Coalfield, not the fact that Coalfield is superior to Copper Basin.

No this thread is about coalfield vs union city game or match up. Match ups etc... not how superior union city is over coalfield, that comes off a bit harsh, but if thats your opinion ok, ill agree that union city is the heavy favorite and a very good team. 

No this thread is about coalfield vs union city game or match up. Match ups etc... not how superior union city is over coalfield, that comes off a bit harsh, but if thats your opinion ok, ill agree that union city is the heavy favorite and a very good team. 

Not my opinion really, It was more of a rib towards the union city people not giving coalfield a chance what so ever. I'm a coalfield graduate and will think they will win this game until the final horn sounds  Friday.

There seem to be a lot of questions about why UC is 1A. Let me try to help. There's always been a lot of friction between the county and the city here. Also UC has a sizable black population whereas the county is virtually all white. Several years ago the county built new grammar schools. Trying to exploit the situation, they built 1 school within 1 mile of the south city limit and another within 2 miles of the northwest city limit. Then to top it all off they started running county buses in the city. UC protested to the state. The state ruled it was okay for the county to run buses in the city but the city couldn't run buses outside the city limits. Sadly it worked. Over the next few years our high school dropped from around 550 students to a low of 260 students. It was at this point that we were dropped to 1A.

Now things are changing. People have decided that a good education is more important than the racial makeup of the school. The next time schools are classified I'm sure we'll be 2A, but for now we are were we are. 1A hasn't been always good. We won championships in 2009 and 2013 but in between there were 2 losing seasons. This years team is the result of a lot of hard work by a group of exceptional kids. We'll come down a notch next year.

This is not what we wanted, but we played hand we were dealt. Hope this helps explain the situation.

well written and informative. im all for great schools and top notch sport facilities, union city appears to have as nice as anyone in the state on any level from what little ive seen and heard, CF is a small community not even a town, fourth or fifth from the smallest in the state, CF has done darn good to get to this point, hopefully well see a competitive game and if not a silver ball will be awesome. no one anywhere gives them a chance to be within 35 to 42 points of UC. 

I saw highlights of the greenback game and bible wasnt getting hit that hard and he was looking like he hit by a truck. Lets see what happens when gets hit by this UC team; will he be able to handle the hits.

thats bibles style, he always is slow to get back up, has been all year. oh well look UC doesnt have some patent on the bone breaker power tackle, what am i missing here? you and others are saying they tackle or hit that dang hard CF will quit or get hurt, UC is very very good and may just walk away with the gold ball easily, CF is relying very heavily on several freshman in important positions qb, wr, db, all these young men have played football since crickets league so this team is going to be the hardest hitting team ever? last year the hitting was so hard between Cf - s.pitt that two face masks were completely busted off helmets, i seen it.

thats bibles style, he always is slow to get back up, has been all year. oh well look UC doesnt have some patent on the bone breaker power tackle, what am i missing here? you and others are saying they tackle or hit that dang hard CF will quit or get hurt, UC is very very good and may just walk away with the gold ball easily, CF is relying very heavily on several freshman in important positions qb, wr, db, all these young men have played football since crickets league so this team is going to be the hardest hitting team ever? last year the hitting was so hard between Cf - s.pitt that two face masks were completely busted off helmets, i seen it.

That game did as much to help UC in the finals as any single thing.  The defensive lineman that was suspended for the title game was monumental.  A small 1a team can't afford to be shorthanded on the line and LB's going into a game with U.C.  as well as they run the veer. 

Jacket34.....without adding to OB's thoughts on whether the kid answers the bell or not for the second half, you should understand the implication here.  Your kid has done an exceptionally good job through the course of this season and I'm certain you are exceedingly proud of where he went this year. (Heck, who wouldn't be!!!)  I don't think anyone is trying to ruffle any feathers or take away from what the kid has done this year.  He is a warrior.  The only favorable match-up in this game is whoever lines up across from Stewart......no one is taking what you guys have done as any less of an achievement than any other team before it.  Heck, you people realize Coalfield has basically a school, couple of small businesses, and a gas station.  No knock on the community but you could easily drive right by and never know you missed it. (I think our bus driver did one year and he has been driving down there close to 25 years...!) :huh: 

Fantastic accomplishment this year Jackets.....much respect from the Bros up North.  I hope you all go all Hickory Hoosiers on UC.  I think if Coalfield were to win, it might be right up there because absolutely no one thinks they got a chance....!  Not even Roy down at Ronnies Redneck Bar....!  Much less Bass.

Kazanity :thumb:  :thumb:

well written i agree and thanks, 

They had Stewart as a 4 star recruit; to be honest after seeing him on those highlights he is not one he's slow off the ball; blocks get sheded. He might become something down the road and as a vols fan I hope so. But right now he is just a big body. UC will eat him up.

your full of bull, he's won mvp of every camp hes been to Oklahoma, S.carolina, atlanta, if hes not that good then why two straight mr fb tn???do you even know how to grade lineman, well I do and so does UT i dont see any of UC's lineman coming to UT, oh by the way he plays the whole game not just on offense. thats a terrible post.