Blue Cross Bowl: Ravenwood vs Maryville

BigDave1967

Can someone clear something up for me...

At the beginning of overtime they did the coin toss. Maryville called the toss and lost. Ravenwood's player said something about wanting to defend. The ref then asked Maryville if they wanted to go on offense. The Maryville player nodded and then the referee turned back to the Ravenwood player and asked them which side they wanted to defend.

Is this right? Shouldn't the team that wins the toss choose to defend or play offense and then the team that lost the coin toss should choose the side to defend? I don't think it matters at all, but I still don't know that it was proper. Thanks in advance.

I saw the same thing on the replay. I think the ref simply had a brain fart. Edited by strongx

Great post KWoodroof...He is a great coach and a greater human being...We are blessed here in Maryville.....

He truly is a class act and I will always have the up most respect for GQ.

I remember when Maryville was in Clinton's district and I overheard him telling our coaching staff that he was going to play his starters for the first half because they needed the reps, but would pull them at half. And thats exactly what he did. They could've beaten Clinton 100-0 if they wanted to. But I think it ended up 35-18 or something like that.

One of the greatest games I ever seen. The Rebels never gave up. Plenty of fight in those Rebels. On offense the man was Joel Hopkins. Hopkins ran like a wild man. He was offensive MVP in my book.

TD Blackman was great on defense but the man of the game was Ritchie Koons. By Ritchie being in the game he clogged up the middle. Wasn't much running up the middle. Ritchie was playing on guts and determination.

I just continue to be amazed with this run Maryville is on. At the end of the 1st quarter I was just hoping to see Maryville keep it close. Most amazing comeback ever. This will be a game talked about 30 years from now.

Ravenwood was by far the best team Maryville played this year. Their skill position talent was second to none. BaylorBigDog and Notre Dame66 hit the nail on the head with their analysis on Ravenwood.

Another thing is my nephew was telling his dad that Coach Hester put in a lot of new plays for the Maryville game. He said Coach Hester has a great offensive mind. I look for Ravenwood to be really good for awhile.

Couldn't have said it better RR.  I thought TD (living legend!) and Richie (wounded warrior!) stood out the most, as well as Joel "feed the dawg / Crazy Legs" Hopkins!  I love watching him fight for extra yards, he just has to hold on to that ball a little tighter when he does so.  I thought we were pretty effective on offense when we had Tyler, Dylan and Joel in the backfield pounding the rock.  Ravenwood should keep their heads held high, they played outstanding and were a class act.  Same for their fans, loud and proud!  Congrats to the Rebels, this was one for the ages! 

Very good 3 minute highlight package from Wilco Sports

Love at the end , as Coach H is addressing his team at the end of the game and I agree " they ended the game on their terms "

Didn't work out for them but .........

Hester is a real good coach and hat's off for having the courage to go for two. I've read all over this board questioning that decision but had they made it everyone would have been second guessing GQ for the on side kick and going for it on forth down when we should of kicked the field goal especially when we knew we had to go for two if we scored a touchdown. It all happens for a reason and we have been to many of these games as Maryville fans and experienced more classless teams than classy one's. Ravenwood was definitely at the top of the ladder of being a well coached and classy group of young men. I'm sure these teams will meet more times in the future

Why would students from other schools come to Cookeville to pull for another school? Was at a scrimmage at Ravenwood in August before school started they had the whole band and about 4,000 people there. Coach Hester has done a great job getting the community fired up about Raptor football. Don't see support like that at just any hs without lots of work. Congrats to Coach Hester and RHS.

As stated by my username I am a Ravenwood fan and first let me say good game to both teams. They did a great job and it was a very exciting game to watch. Ravenwood has a huge support system, hence the crowd and student section. The students have been very involved throughout the year in the games and have the best student section in wilco. Going to state was huge for us considering just a 3 years ago we couldn't win our homecoming. Therefore, as we have gotten better the students appreciate it more and show up in support. Not going to lie it stung for us when we lost, but great game and hope to see you guys sometime in the future!

As stated by my username I am a Ravenwood fan and first let me say good game to both teams. They did a great job and it was a very exciting game to watch. Ravenwood has a huge support system, hence the crowd and student section. The students have been very involved throughout the year in the games and have the best student section in wilco. Going to state was huge for us considering just a 3 years ago we couldn't win our homecoming. Therefore, as we have gotten better the students appreciate it more and show up in support. Not going to lie it stung for us when we lost, but great game and hope to see you guys sometime in the future!

I think it was great to have all that support your team had on hand. I wished we had that kind of support but for some reason or another we had more people on the band wagon when we were climbing the ladder than when we got on top of the ladder. The fans we have that go to the games are great and would follow Maryville anywhere but as the wins became more predictable another group of fans started staying at home on Friday Night leaving a half empty stadium. I miss the days when our place was packed and I'm one of the fans that does realize this ride we've been on won't last forever and I want to enjoy it as long as I can. 

Gov your the perfect example of a Blount County Dufus that would pull for the Russians if they were playing Maryville except you cracked the code and figured out how to get on the internet to show everyone else on here what it's like to live around people like that. I hate it for the fans of Ravenwood because they came to play and win and even though the scoreboard say's 35-34 they are still as good a team as we are and we all know that. One of the best game's I've ever seen in my life. Congrats to both teams for such a great game.

Barney,

Let me ask you a question and I want you to answer honestly. If the shoe were on the other foot and WB was going undefeated and winning state every year would you be rooting for them? I highly doubt it..

Edited by Governors91

Barney,

Let me ask you a question and I want you to answer honestly. If the shoe were on the other foot and WB was going undefeated and winning state every year would you be rooting for them? I highly doubt it..

Gov it's all about the the kids to me. I tune out the adults with their one sided opinions because I know lots of kids on each team and their families personally and I want them to do good. If William Blount were in the playoffs and Maryville wasn't I would go to watch and support.  Would I dress up in orange and blue? No. I just hear so much venom spew from the mouths of people from the county and sometimes it gets to be unbelievable what's going to be said next. Saturday morning the day of the game I have a contract with someone I do business with every third week and I know before I go I'm going to be forced to listen to every piece of dirt on Maryville's football team and how it gets covered up because it's all about that gold trophy they bring home every year and at all cost. Every third Saturday this person can make me feel like I'm supporting a prison team with the latest arrest records of former players and who got out of trouble because the big game is this week and so forth. I'm sure other fans of Maryville deal with similar types of nonsense also but like I said I'm there for the kids and nothing else when it comes to the other schools.