Blue Cross Bowl: Ravenwood vs Maryville

BigDave1967

Gov the only problem I have with Butch is sometimes there are coaches that have been with you a long time and keeping them when it's obvious they can't make the adjustment can sometimes be the link that will bring you down with them by keeping them. I think Butch is a great recruiter and a great salesman and has high morals and has done a great job being handed one of the biggest messes to clean up in the history of college football. There are two or three coaching positions he needs to take a real good look at before going onto next year.

Very good, well thought post. Can u teach g91 how to do that?

Yeah, you're right. I guess mediocrity is the new normal. We'll call it the "WB plan". And there's been a coach come into the sec and take a team with a losing record and win the sec in his first year. Especially a team with a new starting qb.

But did he do it starting basically all true freshmen on both sides of the ball, especially on the offensive and defensive lines? No... I do not embrace mediocrity... I'm not sure why you think I do. I want us to win every single game and win the championship. However, i'm still smart enough to realize that 6 wins is better than 4 or 5 wins and making a bowl game is better than not making one at all. You remind me of tyler bray with your attitude.. You know the guy who said he didn't want to make a crappy bowl game and purposely threw the kentucky game to prevent us from going to a crappy bowl game because it was beneath him? Edited by Governors91

I,more or less, defended the "upward 32" plan because I get soo tired of hearing people b%}€& and moan about everything. No matter what plan the TSSAA implemented people were going to complain because that's what they do. Personally I like the "upward 32" because the Govs will be renewing rivalries with teams they played in the past.

True, people do like to complain. And I understand wanting to renew old rivalries. Im looking forward to us getting to play oak ridge again

You can try to diminish it any way you want but making it to a bowl game is a huge step in the right direction for this program. And it's especially remarkable that we are doing it with a banged up group of freshman. We started more true freshman this year than anyone else in the country and when you are doing that in the SEC it is a tall order. You may say we don't have any quality wins and you might kind of have a point. But you also have to consider how well we competed in all of those games we lost. If Dobbs had played against Florida and Georgia those would have been wins instead of losses. Then you have to consider that we dominated Alabama for 2 1/2 qtrs and came up just short against Missouri. We were competitive in every single game this year, we weren't an easy out for any team that beat us this year. And we were a team full of freshman!!! Frankly if you can't see the improvement in this program you are blind.

Its very funny listening to the reasoning on how butch has changed the program, the beginning of the season analysis of what any team will do is nothing more then speculation, even the so called experts are guessing with their predications saying a team will do this or that. Just as Jones made his rounds this week and saying people thought we would only win 2 to 4 games, the funny thing is even the pro butch radio shows around town called him out saying that they never heard that being said, lots and lots of feel good words and hype around a team that has made some progress but, still today does not have a win that you could consider special, many want to say well if the GA game would of should and all that stuff we could have beat them, well that goes both ways, if GA had this or that go their way they beat TN even worse then they did and really what has GA done that even makes them special, win nine, ten games in the east where a new team comes from a difference conference and wins the East not once but both years they have been here, come on get real the East is very bad, we had four teams lose to the ACC all on the same day and probably the East teams will have more loses then wins in the bowl games. to sum it up TN has got to get to the top of the East first and become the best of the worse that the conference has to offer, then once that happens they may have a win that justifies the butch jones statue. By the way being competitive is what all losers s,ay or they played their best, well at the end of the day if you lose you lost, the Alabama game was nothing more then a bunch of kids realizing that TN couldn't beat them so after making TN look silly for one quarter the players kicked in cruise control. Shape it how ever you like until TN is at the top of the very bad East then celebrating a bowl game is nothing more then celebrating a sub par season giving acceptance to being where you are.  

Just to play devil's advocate Gov91... how many games would Jones have won if Worley hadn't gotten hurt?  I think it is pretty arguable that without Dobbs they very well could have lost against South Carolina and possibly even Kentucky.  He breathed life into the entire program and entire fanbase.  Without him I think it is very possible that you'd have an entirely different outlook on Jones and this season.

But... high school football... which East Tennessee teams are going to win tomorrow & Saturday? Will this be another year where East Tennessee takes home the most gold balls?

Well you old farts have to realize times have changed.... The fact is we fielded a team full of freshman, more freshman than any other team in the country, and despite dealing with tons of adversity,injuries,and off the field issues we are going to a bowl game for the first time since 2010. There are very few coaches in the country that could have coached this vols team to a bowl game but butch was able to do it.

Just about any coach worth 2.2 mil a year could beat those teams. the freshman argument is so stupid, some of these guys came in as if they were the best with hype that never showed to be fact, there is allot of freshman playing in every conference and its a fact that we had only one freshman that came close to living up to his hype, just a few teams playing freshman that lived up to the hype, GA,LSU,Clemson, OSU, just to name a few. Jones is great at hyping all he does but as the old saying goes , actions speak louder then words.

But did he do it starting basically all true freshmen on both sides of the ball, especially on the offensive and defensive lines? No... I do not embrace mediocrity... I'm not sure why you think I do. I want us to win every single game and win the championship. However, i'm still smart enough to realize that 6 wins is better than 4 or 5 wins and making a bowl game is better than not making one at all. You remind me of tyler bray with your attitude.. You know the guy who said he didn't want to make a crappy bowl game and purposely threw the kentucky game to prevent us from going to a crappy bowl game because it was beneath him?

it's his 2ND year here. If he doesn't have the talent or ability to coach up the freshmen he recruited, then he should of got some jucos. It's his team and his fault if they don't perform. Period. Of course you support mediocrity, you're a season ticket holder at William Blount. And I would lay down if I played for Dooley. Im sure you would of played your little heart out for that loser tho

Just to play devil's advocate Gov91... how many games would Jones have won if Worley hadn't gotten hurt? I think it is pretty arguable that without Dobbs they very well could have lost against South Carolina and possibly even Kentucky. He breathed life into the entire program and entire fanbase. Without him I think it is very possible that you'd have an entirely different outlook on Jones and this season.

But... high school football... which East Tennessee teams are going to win tomorrow & Saturday? Will this be another year where East Tennessee takes home the most gold balls?

The east has good shot at sweeping their games. I think Knox west has the toughest game tho