Al Miller - Cleveland Duals

rlwest40

From Gwinnett Daily Post....

No excuses about the playoffs here, even though some of their big boys are just getting involved now And getting in shape 😜...

State championship excitement builds at Archer High

By Keith Farner

keith.farner@gwinnettdailypost.com Thursday, December 11, 2014

© Copyright 2014 Gwinnett Daily Post

Darrell Bryant, president of the Archer Booster Club, left, talks with Associate Principal Derek Bowen as Stephanie Hodges looks on Wednesday in the school’s cafeteria where T-shirts for the state championship were on sale. (Staff Photo: Keith Farner)

The door outside Archer High School math teacher Jill Bullard is decorated ahead of Saturday’s state championship football game between Archer and Colquitt County. (Staff Photo: Keith Farner)

#LAWRENCEVILLE — Walk the halls of Archer High School, and around nearly every corner there’s a poster or door decoration about Saturday’s state championship game.

#There are diamond rings, a “Beat Colquitt†scrawled out or a list of teams the Tigers knocked off on their championship path to the Georgia Dome. Championship success is not new to the 6-year-old school after the Tigers have excelled in wrestling and softball. But this is unchartered territory for the football program — and the rest of Gwinnett County has noticed.

#“Having won a couple of state titles already, our kids are familiar with what it takes to perform at that level,†Principal Ken Johnson said. “Of course football is a little different because in Georgia, football can be considered king. I don’t believe it’s settled in what a remarkable accomplishment it is yet.â€

#The relatively new school, while not tied to a proper town, has carried the flag for Gwinnett County Public Schools since before Thanksgiving as the last team standing in the playoffs. The Tigers are trying to be the fifth straight Gwinnett team to win the football crown in the state’s largest classification.

#“I’ve thought about it because I’ve had colleagues that are calling that say, ‘Hey, bring the thing home,’†Johnson said. “They’re very supportive and would like to keep the championship in Gwinnett.â€

#What Johnson called “contained excitment†around the halls has been building as students and teachers prepare for final exams next week. The community purchased more than 600 pre-sale tickets on Tuesday night alone when sales opened. And by Wednesday, the booster club had already put in a second order of T-shirts. Booster club President Darrell Bryant said he hoped to sell more than 700 T-shirts.

#Athletics director Tim Watkins said the playoff success has rallied the young community together.

#“The coaches and the kids are trying to keep a level head about it, but everybody else is getting pretty giddy about it,†Watkins said. “We’ve had a lot of success, but it’s the South, it’s Gwinnett County, nothing gets people excited like football. It is the one thing that really gets people across all areas excited. It’s been a big community builder for us. The community has been very supportive the entire time.â€

#While Norcross, Grayson and Brookwood have won recent championships, Watkins said Archer accepts being the standard-bearer to let everyone know that the best football continues to be played in Gwinnett.

#“We want to keep that tradition going,†he said. “I’ve had a lot of people from around the county say, ‘I’m pulling for you guys, we’re going to be there,’ so the county really does a great job of supporting each other as we beat on each other for so long. Once it gets to this point, you get a lot of support.â€

#Most of the school has participated in a door-decorating contest, and it’s been led by math teacher Jill Bullard and her guided study class students where the decoration envelopes two classroom doors. Bullard said freshmen showed particular interest about being involved in the door decorating, and in class more students have seemed motivated to learn.

Edited by Sommers

King 6-5

Did anyone see the takedown that the officials gave to Murphy with only a few seconds remaining in the 2nd period?  I lost coverage during what I thought was going the be a stalemate but later found out that Murphy was awarded the takedown.  It is my understanding that Irish coach Pat Simpson was less that happy with the official and questioned the call for 5 minutes at the table after the call was made.  What really happened?  Was it the call correct?  I would love to see the final 2 1/2 minutes of the match. 

Edited by cbg

Did anyone see the takedown that the officials gave to Murphy with only a few seconds remaining in the 2nd period?  I lost coverage during what I thought was going the be a stalemate but later found out that Murphy was awarded the takedown.  It is my understanding that Irish coach Pat Simpson was less that happy with the official and questioned the call for 5 minutes at the table after the call was made.  What really happened?  Was it the call correct?  I would love to see the final 2 1/2 minutes of the match. 

Great match between King & Murphy.  Those guys are fun to watch!  For what it is worth, I personally did not agree with the call and it did not look like Coach Simpson agreed with the officials explanation or comments during their discussion before the start of the third period.  I thought the second official would give more input, because he obviously had a good view as well.   

In my opinion it looked like a stalemate and I think both wrestlers thought the same thing.