Region 1

humorwrestling

I agree with DB maybe have more than two in the finals, but Tenn High will have a lot of points from 132-145. They are really tough wrestlers, which showed against Science Hill. The only thing is losing team points with not having someone at 20&26 at least. If they had someone there I would say just put them in the top 3. Science Hill even though lost to both Tenn High and DB should battle for a top spot. They have won over and over and because they know how to get points every match. Jeff County has a good team and talent. I do not how this plays out because of the talent that is the region now. This region tournament has probably been the deepest since all the schools were together! This is going to hopefully be the best one yet! Anybody can finish anywhere in this region. I wish the four best teams wrestled in the duals. Where is the region tournament anyway this year?

DB will have several make the finals just like THS, JC, and the hill will as well. There are only 2 kids I have picked to win that aren't from any of those 4 schools.--Bynum from Crockett and Broyles from MoWest.

Agreed. This is the deepest Region 1 has been since the split occurred. I expect those Hill coaches and wrestlers to have a chip on their shoulder and make a push for the individual crown. Tim has done a great job at TN High and they definitely have some that should walk away with region crowns. DB and Jeff will be right there and overall it will be a 4 team race. Look for Volunteer to have a couple (132/138) in the finals. They really have come a long way. Good to see the region getting deeper. What it will take to become ready for Franklin.

I like what volunteer has done. They started as a small program that could not fill weight classes to a team that can compete in a few weight classes. Solomon has done a good job there and the kids are really picking up on the sport. I love it when new programs have success.

• Upvote 1

DB will have several make the finals just like THS, JC, and the hill will as well. There are only 2 kids I have picked to win that aren't from any of those 4 schools.--Bynum from Crockett and Broyles from MoWest.

I understand that. You win tournaments in the semis and conso semis. Then the next important is 3&4. I have been around the sport for a long time and just having people in the finals or winning in 4 to 5 weight classes mean nothing if you don't get any points elsewhere. So in my opinion it is great only 2 guys from the other schools, but that means nothing if no one else places.

I understand that. You win tournaments in the semis and conso semis. Then the next important is 3&4. I have been around the sport for a long time and just having people in the finals or winning in 4 to 5 weight classes mean nothing if you don't get any points elsewhere. So in my opinion it is great only 2 guys from the other schools, but that means nothing if no one else places.

• Upvote 1

Any predictions on the regional duals and individuals?

The Tenn High and Jeff County match should be a good one. Tenn High beat them by either 5 or 6 in early January. Jeff Co. was at the match last night so I don't know what will happen. East has improved since DB has seen them last so I can't tell how that match with turn out either. Overall it will be a good night of wrestling. Indivuals there are 2-4 deep in good kids at most weight classes with kids that could upset in most weights as well. The champs will be easier to pick out, but after that it is hard to really know. From this region I could see 8-12 state placers so far. The team race will be a tight one between DB, Sciemce Hill, Tenn High, and Jeff Co.

Just fascinating to hear this discussion without The Hill mentioned.

You are right. They are rebuilding and their middle school team has talent. Tenn high and DB both beat them by 7 points or less. The competition in region one has grown a lot with feeder programs all coming together in most schools. Don't worry I think the region is on an up and up and nothing is secure anymore.

• Upvote 1