Sequatchie County Indians hire Adam Caine as HC

SCPRIDE30

Truthfully just my opinion but if everyone stays relatively healthy, I don't see any game that Sequatchie shouldn't be in and be able to win and I think they can compete for the Region title.  I see no one on the 2015 schedule that gives me pause the way the old district/region schedules did.  Not to take anything away from the teams of the new region but when you have to face Signal Mtn., Notre Dame, Boyd Buchanan, Marion Co. and South Pittsburg and rival game Bledsoe Co. that's some tough sledding.  Especially when two or three of those might be back to back to back like the last couple of years when we did finish with ND, Boyd & Signal.

So throwing for over 2000 yards and 22 touchdowns isn't lighting it up anymore?

Traditionally year in and year Sequatchie does have the better athletes!

It's certainly true that this region won't have as many high caliber teams as the one you came from. Any given year we have 1 or 2 teams that can compete with and beat such teams as ND, SM, etc. This region will not be a cake walk.

Throwing for 220 ypg, 22 TD's total, and over 2000 yards total on the season is nothing to turn your nose up at, but that's really nothing outstanding. Compare those numbers to the top 5 or so within the state over a 10 year time span and you will see it's not exactly lighting it up. They are in no way bad numbers though.

Sequatchie County is 6-4 vs. Grundy County over the last 10 games, so I fail to see how they have a significant amount more of talent/athletes than Grundy County. 

The fact is both counties are very, very similar in their makeup. Both counties are predominantly white, and have a total population of under 15k each. SC has 14,681 residents, whereas GC has 13,489. Both schools are close in size too as far as student population goes. SC has 691 students, and GC has 708.

What I'm getting at is when two rural counties are very similar such as they are, you're not going to have one county with a ton more athletes than the other. Coaching is what usually makes the difference. Sure one school may have a cycle with better athletes than the other school, but over a good period of time it's going to be just about even.

Edited by DCTIGERFAN

Personally I think Sequatchie is hurting a lot in the athlete category. Best returning athlete is not even playing. QB will help a lot but he won't have a lot help on offensive side ball. Defense will be decent with two very good linebackers. I'm a little more of a realist than couple Sequatchie fans on here. We will not be able to compete with Dekalb or Upperman this year. I agree with DCtigerfan, 3-5 wins. 6 or more would be a good year for sure. Coach Caine hasn't won a game as a head coach, so I will be a little more cautious about him being "highly touted". Last years team underachieved. Maybe this one will overachieve.

OldIndian,  Did you attend any of spring practice, go to either spring scrimmage?   They looked very good probably the best they have looked in spring ball in years. IMO

I agree, Coach Caine hasn't won a game as a HC (And could flop as a HC).  However he isn't some young pup that doesn't know what he's doing.  This isn't like when they hired Coach Armstrong back in the early 2000's!  While he hasn't been the head man he's been around long enough to know what to do.  He's been a coordinator/position coach at four different colleges.   Has been a coordinator at several large classification HS's across the south including Asst. HC at Shiloh Christian School in Arkansas.  

I also think this Coaching Staff is better than any we have had in years.  There's not a lot of them but I think they know what they are doing!

OldIndian, Did you attend any of spring practice, go to either spring scrimmage? They looked very good probably the best they have looked in spring ball in years. IMO

I agree, Coach Caine hasn't won a game as a HC (And could flop as a HC). However he isn't some young pup that doesn't know what he's doing. This isn't like when they hired Coach Armstrong back in the early 2000's! While he hasn't been the head man he's been around long enough to know what to do. He's been a coordinator/position coach at four different colleges. Has been a coordinator at several large classification HS's across the south including Asst. HC at Shiloh Christian School in Arkansas.

I also think this Coaching Staff is better than any we have had in years. There's not a lot of them but I think they know what they are doing!

I was actually at both scrimmages. We did outplay both teams. Unfortunately for Hixson this looks to be one of their worse teams in years and Grace I was told played several 8th graders. They are one of worse teams in the whole state. So, based on that I am not going to put a lot into the spring. Last spring we tied a good Hixson team and beat McMinn Central in scrimmage. We scrimmage Marion this fall is what I am being told. That will tell a lot about where we are.

As far as coach, I hope he can get it done. My gut tells me he won't, but I will be rooting for him to. If he wins 5 games I think it's a success. 6 or more and he should be coach of the year in the district.

I was actually at both scrimmages. We did outplay both teams. Unfortunately for Hixson this looks to be one of their worse teams in years and Grace I was told played several 8th graders. They are one of worse teams in the whole state. So, based on that I am not going to put a lot into the spring. Last spring we tied a good Hixson team and beat McMinn Central in scrimmage. We scrimmage Marion this fall is what I am being told. That will tell a lot about where we are.

As far as coach, I hope he can get it done. My gut tells me he won't, but I will be rooting for him to. If he wins 5 games I think it's a success. 6 or more and he should be coach of the year in the district.

Why do you feel Coach Caine won't get it done? Are you meaning just this year, or over the long haul? Anyone expecting a huge turn around as far as wins go this year will probably be let down. I see no reason why he can't get the job done over the time span of a few years though. Yeah, he's never been a head coach, but he seems qualified enough to take over a program such as Sequatchie County.

Edited by DCTIGERFAN

Sequatchie's biggest problem is administration won't let a coach hire any help.. The AD is prolly the worst AD in the state.. Good luck Seq it's gonna be a long year.. My sources tell me that all the good players have quit.. Yeah they got grundys QB, but they also got his parents, who has always been a cancer wherever they've been.. Just ask the ppl in Grundy.. It started back when the older brother played... They'll do more bad than good for the program. I see seq starting out 0-5.. Laugh if you want to but it's very possible

Sequatchie's biggest problem is administration won't let a coach hire any help.. The AD is prolly the worst AD in the state.. Good luck Seq it's gonna be a long year.. My sources tell me that all the good players have quit.. Yeah they got grundys QB, but they also got his parents, who has always been a cancer wherever they've been.. Just ask the ppl in Grundy.. It started back when the older brother played... They'll do more bad than good for the program. I see seq starting out 0-5.. Laugh if you want to but it's very possible

Sequatchie's biggest problem is administration won't let a coach hire any help.. The AD is prolly the worst AD in the state..

Do explain?  I talked with Coach Caine before he even began to finalize his staff months ago one guy he wanted to hire couldn't make the finances work to move his family from another state, another one never got the proper teaching license and a third changed his mind and decided not to come.  

Coach Caine has now hired a couple of very good coaches. IMO  You can't just go hire anyone you want they have to have the proper qualifications.    

The AD is only in his 2nd year and is probably the best AD we have had in years!  

It seems that a lot of folks (locally) like to hold grudges on certain people where it be principles, ADs or higher administration.  However do you ever stop and open your eyes to what Sequatchie Co. Athletics have to offer?  

The administration for years has worked very hard (along with booster/community help) to give the students the best athletic facilities of any public school in the Chattanooga area not to mention one of the best in the state.  I mean they just built a field house for Softball.   We have an indoor practice facility that any team can use!  How many public schools have an indoor facility or a softball field house?   They are now starting on a soccer field/practice field.   Don't forget academics as well with the new STEM Center addition being built on the HS!