Playing Junior Varsity and Varsity rules?

Tenntwin

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen this happen recently on the girls side. But, there is a TSSAA rule against Varsity starters playing JV on the same day/night (copied above from 2014-2015 TSSAA site/handbook). Only varsity substitutes are allowed to play on JV. I just don't think it is monitored closely and most people including coaches are un-aware of the rule.

It comes down to the opposing team reporting it. I know this first hand. The first violation was forfeiting all Jv games that it occured. Was informed next time would affect Varsity games plus a hefty fine.

But, there is a TSSAA rule against Varsity starters playing JV on the same day/night (copied above from 2014-2015 TSSAA site/handbook). 

No, the rule you posted didn't quite say that.  It said nothing about "same day/same night".  Nor did it provide any guidance for, if that is the intent of the rule, when JV and varsity rosters may be changed.  What if a guy started varsity Tuesday but didn't start varsity Friday?  The rule you quoted says nothing at all about same day/night, which is why I believe the intent of the rule you quoted is at the other end...to be inclusive.  This would not be the first area where the TSSAA handbook is vague.

On the other hand, this is from the preamble:

"At the junior varsity or B-Team level, the only eligibility rules that apply are those in Sections 1 (Enrollment), 2 through 4 (Academic Rules), 5 (High School Graduate), 6 (Eight-Semester Rule), 7 (Repeating Rule), 8 (Eighth Grade Participation), 9 (Age Limit), and 10 (Physical Examination and Parental Consent). At the varsity level, all eligibility rules apply." 

They cannot start on the same night. If the roster changes the very next game and the kid is no longer starting Varsity he can play JV. I was told by TSSAA that the rule only applies to the given might. That means you could tipoff Varsity game and call a timeout and put the kid in. I also shared my displeasure with the wording and the fact the infraction was only covered in the definition section of the bylaws, but frankly they dont care.

They cannot start on the same night. If the roster changes the very next game and the kid is no longer starting Varsity he can play JV. I was told by TSSAA that the rule only applies to the given might. That means you could tipoff Varsity game and call a timeout and put the kid in. I also shared my displeasure with the wording and the fact the infraction was only covered in the definition section of the bylaws, but frankly they dont care.

I really didn't know that.  There are a few schools breaking that bylaw then.

I really didn't know that.  There are a few schools breaking that bylaw then.

I coached for 10 years.  3 of those were in middle school, and I used to rotate a varsity 7th grader each jv game, so they could play with each other at some point.  I am now an athletic director, and the new coach was using the same philosophy since we only have 3 8th graders.  The night that the rotation for JV was one of our starters was the night the other team turned us in.  All we were trying to do was rotate and give the kids the opportunity to play with their future teammates for the next year.  The Varsity starter played 4 minutes at the start of each half and that was it.