Playing Junior Varsity and Varsity rules?

Tenntwin

I'm looking for clarification on rules about JV and Varsity games in the same night/day. I understand there was a "quarter" rule were a player could only play so many quarters a night, but a coach recently told me that as long as a player doesn't start on varsity, they can play as much JV as they can/instructed. I asked a ref the other night and he didn't know. Anyone know sure?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only rule states that Junior Varsity contains substitutes from Varsity and of course other players not on Varsity. This means no starters on Varsity can play Jv on the same night. However if it is a seperate Jv playday or tourney the Varsity starter could actually play. If you want clarification its on page 6 of bylaws under definitions. 6 quarter rule has been gone for more than 5 years.

The only rule states that Junior Varsity contains substitutes from Varsity and of course other players not on Varsity. This means no starters on Varsity can play Jv on the same night. However if it is a seperate Jv playday or tourney the Varsity starter could actually play. If you want clarification its on page 6 of bylaws under definitions. 6 quarter rule has been gone for more than 5 years.

Thanks DyronNix, one my favorite UT players - he was a good guy too - had the pleasure of getting to know him in college.  Thanks for the info, it makes sense for me now.  Here's the definition.  It doesn't sound like there are no grade restrictions, just can't be a varsity starter.

"Junior Varsity – Any level of play below the varsity level, whether denominated as junior varsity, b-team, or otherwise.  The membership of a junior varsity team shall be composed of varsity substitutes and any other non-varsity players identified on the school’s eligibility list."

Page 6 – 2014-2015 TSSAA Handbook By-laws – under definitions

Edited by Tenntwin

I've seen this happen recently on the girls side.  But, there is a TSSAA rule against Varsity starters playing JV on the same day/night (copied above from 2014-2015 TSSAA site/handbook).  Only varsity substitutes are allowed to play on JV.  I just don't think it is monitored closely and most people including coaches are un-aware of the rule.