A real state tournament

ccleveland

We should find out how Iowa or other states pay for the venues they use. How does Georgia pay for the use of the Georgia Dome?

They don't use it for anything other than football. Wrestling seems to alternate between the Gwinnett convention center and the arena in Macon. (While I'm on the subject, every convention-center setup I've encountered has absolutely terrible sight lines.)

I was talking about the 160# from last year . Patrick Dooley, one of the Simpson nephews.  If his Herpes had shown up one day earlier....he would have never won a state Championship.

Non the less.....if most people will remember before it moved from McKenzie; everyone was pissed about the rigidness of the tournament and the "food Nazis". Champion Wrestlers are usually  creatures of habit and have a routine that is important to them after weigh-ins. 

Money forced everyone to break thoughs habits by ethier eating out of a concession stand....not good before a match,  or leave the premises. PS: Money did not go to TSSAA from concedssion stand. 

At the AG center, I actually saw one team that had a microwave, lots of friut and cooolers full of fluids and food for their wrestlers and fans.  It was almost like a "tailgate" but with nutrional food and beverages.....oh and the AG center even paid for the electricity to run the microwave. 

Sounds like we need to pick our battles.  Reality is, Chattanooga is the least likely facility to be hosting a state tournament.Less then 15 %  of the wrestlers competing come from a 100 mile radius of Chattanooga .  70 % + come from 100 mile radius of middle TN.

My solution:   Go to district format where ALL teams particpate. If  I'm a small school, that may be my goal....to win the district. Top four wrestlers go to Regionals (4 regions) .   Regional boundaries would be decided around (numbers participating in wrestling).  Top Four in Regionals would qualify for the state tournament with a 16 man bracket.  Could be done easily in two days on 4 mats.

Of course, we would only have 14 state champs instead of 52 and not every kid would get a medal.  Also the 3 and 4 time state champs would disapper.

While he is a great young man I would like to know when Patrick Dooley became part of the Simpson family?

Cody,

Thank you for doing this however you may want to continue down the path Reichel was on....trying to justify it by other reasons other just lobbying to get it back in Chattanooga.  Believe me I know where your heart is and what you're trying to do.  I think people have "high jacketed"  your intentions for their own motivation.  I saw where Jackie __________  (want name her, we know her as a wrestling person and was married to a UTC wrestler) signed on poll and she has never even been to the "cow palace" .  She obviously got a phone call or e-mail to being it back to Chattanooga. 

If that is the agenda, I think you ought to be transparent about it.   Reality is that the best place in the state would be at the pyramid (Memphis) where the Grizzlies play,  Bridgestone (Where the preds play) or the Pat head Summit center where the VOLS play. 

Below is another self serving attitude that is being portrayed my the Chattanooga contingent.  Again,  I to think it should be moved and Ben was on the right path.....just make it look a little less biased towards Chatt.  One idiot even stateted that it needed to be moved because Chattanooga was so much stronger then the other areas.  He obviously did not attend the tournament this year.  In DII (chatts strong hold)  they only had one finalist before the 138# weight class.  see below.

Andrew Roberts NORCROSS, GA
  • about 19 hours ago
  • Liked 0

TSSAA it's 2015 so step it up and get this tournament back to Chattanooga where it belongs. This little stunt you tried in Franklin hasn't worked the way you imagined, it's clear that Southeastern Tennessee schools, both public and private, big and small, still dominate the tournament every year.

Now, do us all a service and get this, what could be special event, back in Chattanooga or al least Nashville proper ASAP.

P.S. And don't give me the economics excuse, it's tired and we're sick of hearing it. Get creative, update your website, and raise some capital.

Cheers,

Drew Roberts

I was talking about the 160# from last year . Patrick Dooley, one of the Simpson nephews.  If his Herpes had shown up one day earlier....he would have never won a state Championship.

Non the less.....if most people will remember before it moved from McKenzie; everyone was pissed about the rigidness of the tournament and the "food Nazis". Champion Wrestlers are usually  creatures of habit and have a routine that is important to them after weigh-ins. 

Money forced everyone to break thoughs habits by ethier eating out of a concession stand....not good before a match,  or leave the premises. PS: Money did not go to TSSAA from concedssion stand. 

At the AG center, I actually saw one team that had a microwave, lots of friut and cooolers full of fluids and food for their wrestlers and fans.  It was almost like a "tailgate" but with nutrional food and beverages.....oh and the AG center even paid for the electricity to run the microwave. 

Sounds like we need to pick our battles.  Reality is, Chattanooga is the least likely facility to be hosting a state tournament.Less then 15 %  of the wrestlers competing come from a 100 mile radius of Chattanooga .  70 % + come from 100 mile radius of middle TN.

My solution:   Go to district format where ALL teams particpate. If  I'm a small school, that may be my goal....to win the district. Top four wrestlers go to Regionals (4 regions) .   Regional boundaries would be decided around (numbers participating in wrestling).  Top Four in Regionals would qualify for the state tournament with a 16 man bracket.  Could be done easily in two days on 4 mats.

Of course, we would only have 14 state champs instead of 52 and not every kid would get a medal.  Also the 3 and 4 time state champs would disapper.

Who cares what the reasons are that people want the state tournament moved? The current facility is not an adequate environment to host the tournament.  I think we can all agree on that no matter what the reasoning is behind it.  I think the biggest reasons are the sanitary issues that others have mentioned and that the venue is so spread out that its not exciting for the crowd or the wrestlers (and it should be).  My point in this is that it doesnt matter why someone like Jackie Howard would sign the petition.  She is right in thinking that it should be somewhere else.  However, she has been to the Ag center to see for herself that it is not a good atmosphere for the state tournament.  

There are obviously a lot of details that would have to be worked out if the state tournament were to move such as the volunteers to work the tables, and I don't know this for sure, but I would imagine that part would not be too difficult if moving the tournament were approved.  The state tournament is a lot of work, and a lot goes on behind the scenes that most of us don't see, but that all has to happen no matter where the tournament is.  

When it was in Chattanooga, there were aspects of the tournament everyone complained about as well, but at least it was a good environment for the wrestlers and the spectators, and there were showers.  With that said,  I don't care what city the tournament is in, it just needs to be in a venue better suited for wrestling, and there are several options throughout the state.  

• Upvote 1

We have a great facility identified that would be staffed by folks who ran a TSSAA State Tournament for over a decade. We just need to put some heads together and figure out how to make it work on 8 mats without loosing wrestlers. If we really want a nice facility that would be a great atmosphere for wrestlers and fans then Austin Peay State University in Clarksville is the place. If we really don't care WHERE it's at as long as it's its a great facility then let's get behind moving it here.

We have a great facility identified that would be staffed by folks who ran a TSSAA State Tournament for over a decade. We just need to put some heads together and figure out how to make it work on 8 mats without loosing wrestlers. If we really want a nice facility that would be a great atmosphere for wrestlers and fans then Austin Peay State University in Clarksville is the place. If we really don't care WHERE it's at as long as it's its a great facility then let's get behind moving it here.

I agree with you Deadlift. Why not Austin Peay? I've heard nothing but great things. I tried to reach out to the AD but so far to no avail. Perhaps you may have better luck. To find out more detail about getting it done on 8 mats, I'd suggest contacting coach Joe Blair. He's the one that told me it could be done and he was more than willing to help. Also, apparently Floyd at Beardon is a math whiz and he is adamant it can be done on 8 mats as well. If we can all unite on a location, if it won't cost the TSSAA extra money, and if it doesn't require more work, then they'll be out of excuses.

Deadlift, I have some news for you. Call me tomorrow at your convenience. 423-432-2514

I'm being told by a lot of folks that have much experience running large state level tournaments that we could make it happen on 8 mats. Here is just one initial proposal on how it could work. Feedback is definitely welcomed.

Thursday All 8 Mats

Weigh-Ins @ 11:00AM for Division I AAA

1:00 PM - Division I AAA Round of 32, Round of 16, 1st Round Consolation Bouts, 2nd Round Consolation Bouts

Friday

Weigh-Ins @ 7:00 AM for Division I Class AAA, Division I Class A-AA, & Division II Participants

Weigh-Ins @ 8:00 AM for Girls’ Championship Participants

9:00 AM

Mat 1-6

Division I AAA Quarterfinals and 3rd Round Consolation Bouts

Mat 7-8

Division II Quarterfinals

12:00 PM

Mat 1-6

Division I A-AA Round of 16, Quarterfinals

Mat 7-8

Girls’ Championships Quarterfinals

3:00 PM

Mat 1-6

Division I AAA Semifinals, 4th Round Consolation Bouts, 5th Round Consolation Bouts

Mat 7-8

Division II Semifinals, 1st Round Consolation Bouts

6:00 PM

Mat 1-6

Division I A-AA Semifinals, Consolation Bouts (Wrestle Through Consolation Quarterfinals)

Mat 7-8

Girls’ Championship Semifinals and 1st Round Consolation Bouts

Saturday is normal schedule on 8 and then 4 mats

I'm being told by a lot of folks that have much experience running large state level tournaments that we could make it happen on 8 mats. Here is just one initial proposal on how it could work. Feedback is definitely welcomed.

Thursday All 8 Mats

Weigh-Ins @ 11:00AM for Division I AAA

1:00 PM - Division I AAA Round of 32, Round of 16, 1st Round Consolation Bouts, 2nd Round Consolation Bouts

Friday

Weigh-Ins @ 7:00 AM for Division I Class AAA, Division I Class A-AA, & Division II Participants

Weigh-Ins @ 8:00 AM for Girls’ Championship Participants

9:00 AM

Mat 1-6

Division I AAA Quarterfinals and 3rd Round Consolation Bouts

Mat 7-8

Division II Quarterfinals

12:00 PM

Mat 1-6

Division I A-AA Round of 16, Quarterfinals

Mat 7-8

Girls’ Championships Quarterfinals

3:00 PM

Mat 1-6

Division I AAA Semifinals, 4th Round Consolation Bouts, 5th Round Consolation Bouts

Mat 7-8

Division II Semifinals, 1st Round Consolation Bouts

6:00 PM

Mat 1-6

Division I A-AA Semifinals, Consolation Bouts (Wrestle Through Consolation Quarterfinals)

Mat 7-8

Girls’ Championship Semifinals and 1st Round Consolation Bouts

Saturday is normal schedule on 8 and then 4 mats

IMO, you would have better attendance if you had the D1 AAA & D2 Championship Semi-Finals at 6:00 or 7:00pm on Friday. Could you flip flop that with the D1 A-AA & Girls and allow them to wrestle at 3:00pm on Friday?

On Saturday I would have the A-AA & Girls Championship Finals @ 4:00pm & the D1 AAA & D2 Championship Finals @ 7:00pm using a raised stage and mat lamp for ALL championship finals.

Edited by cbg

IMO, you would have better attendance if you had the D1 AAA & D2 Championship Semi-Finals at 6:00 or 7:00pm on Friday. Could you flip flop that with the D1 A-AA & Girls and allow them to wrestle at 3:00pm on Friday?

On Saturday I would have the A-AA & Girls Championship Finals @ 4:00pm & the D1 AAA & D2 Championship Finals @ 7:00pm using a raised stage and mat lamp for ALL championship finals.

i like this.